Silver Galapagos Near to Sailing

5waldos

Sorry, I get confused with this apparatus. I am always looking for the Edit that exists on the computer but not here! Anyway, the gist of my friend's comments is that SS managers are working hard to get the all new (to SS) Ecuadorian crew up to speed. It is a challenge and is going to take some time. The new crew is not familiar with SS standards.

Duct tape, what you are hearing is exactly what I predicted when I first heard about silversea Galapagos. The accepted level of service in Ecuador is far short of that on silversea, and it will require a complete change of mindset which is going to be nothing short of a miracle to accomplish.

I have nothing at all against Ecuadorians. We have been there twice and enjoyed it. But the level of service on silversea is a whole different (better) level, particularly with regards to attitude.

Aren't they dealing with laws of Ecuador which mandate they get all food/ provisions from Ecuador and have to use personnel from Ecuador?

I would imagine the learning curve is huge,

Maybe SS management underestimated...

Just my musings

Exactly Spinnaker. When I first heard about this venture, my thought was "have they actually been there?" All fresh produce and meat must come not just from Ecuador but from the Galapagos. All the naturalist guides, waiters, ship personnel other than the very top have to come from Ecuador. Challenging, to say the least.

As soon as George and I saw the cattle in the Galapagos, we knew for sure we would not be eating beef for the duration. Sticking with seafood was definitely safest.

And to complicate matters further- I understand that the crew onboard were the same previously on the ship- they just all stayed on. I would imagine that this would would make it very difficult for all involved making these changes. It might have been easier to start with a fresh crew not already rather set in their ways.

I believe the personnel pool is quite limited in the service business in that area. Evidently, some of the guests are also from the previous company. My friend says she does not see a familiar face. You all know how uncommon that is on SS! I. Don't know if there was a ceremony/celebration/christening when she sailed. Will be very interesting to follow. The managers on board knew it would be a challenge!

Wonder if there are similar rules for the the newer vessel going to Vanuatu and New Zealand

Anyone know? Sorry sort of off topic

But in keeping with expanding line before being ready

I don't think there are throughout Micronesia at least- and since the ship goes to so many countries I would think it would be impossible.

And Duct Tape- there was quite an elaborate sounding ceremony which I read about- it is mentioned here http://www.silversea.com/media-centre/press-releases/?pressrelease=17344

Edited by 5waldos

Duct tape, what you are hearing is exactly what I predicted when I first heard about silversea Galapagos. The accepted level of service in Ecuador is far short of that on silversea, and it will require a complete change of mindset which is going to be nothing short of a miracle to accomplish.

From our experience in the Galapagos I totally agree 200% Rachel.

Swaldos, my Grandson and I will sailing the Silver Galapogos 12/14/13. Only reservation, is it the largest ship in the islands. Wonder way SS is not including" free laundry benefit". Hope it is environmental issues, and not something they just choose to eliminate for these voyages. Let's all hope this will be an adventure of a lifetime for many people. If anyone sails prior to our voyage, please post a review.

We Will be on the same cruise in December.

All crew members need to be from Ecuador, all food from Ecuador also.

Also, a SS rep just told me last week, that every one has to follow the group when ashore because no one can rest or stay alone on the beach because of the rules in Galapagos. Ecuadorean gov is afraid that someone can hurt the fauna if left alone on the beach...we asked the question because someone in our group is older ...

They are VERY picky about everyone in the group staying together and about not touching the animals. That said, when we were there on xpedition, they were ok with someone staying behind and just sitting on the beach as long as they promised to stay put.

I'm also on Dec. 14 sailing, with two friends who agreed to come because I praised Silversea quality - and now I learn Silver Galapagos will not live up to Silversea standards. Too late to cancel, but I'm really disappointed. And is the ecology factor there any different than Antarctica, or Asian temples, or other tourist sites? Fellow passengers will police each other, as I discovered when I inadvertently dropped a tissue on South Georgia Island. icon11.gif

I'm also on Dec. 14 sailing, with two friends who agreed to come because I praised Silversea quality - and now I learn Silver Galapagos will not live up to Silversea standards. Too late to cancel, but I'm really disappointed. And is the ecology factor there any different than Antarctica, or Asian temples, or other tourist sites? Fellow passengers will police each other, as I discovered when I inadvertently dropped a tissue on South Georgia Island. icon11.gif

Hopefully by Dec, things will be sorted, at least more or less.

I know that SS is aware of the issues and are working on it. Have you ever been to a restaurant, even a fine one, in the first week? Things need some time to settle in I would think. Given some real competition in the Galapagos I imagine that they will work very hard on it since their biggest draw here will be service (well, and more balconies).

Hmm...small grump here. They have changed the descriptions of the cabins (again) and now

• Special chocolate welcome and afternoon canapés upon request

• Illy Espresso machine

are only listed for the couple of the largest suites. These amenities had been included in all or most suites not long ago. I do hope they don't continue taking things away now that we are set and within days of final payments. Not a big deal (well- the canapés were going to be nice) but I guess you have to keep checking as to what is included.

5Waldos, thanks for checking. I also saved a copy of the old deck plan PDF and see the last couple of amenities have been deleted on all the room other than the top four rooms on deck 6. It’s a slippery slope for them if they keep removing items Silversea guests are used too, blogs will be full of dissatisfied customers that felt they paid too much for what they received…. Will be looking them over real good in four weeks when we get to the Ship.

One thing we enjoy on explorer, in any cabin, is the afternoon canapés. Nothing fancy, but it makes a special time getting ready for dinner to have some cheese and crackers and a glass of wine. Wonder why they would take this away? I suspect adequate staffing is the issue.