carnival miracle cabo stop

mrya1967

Hi guys just looking for some advice for a first time cruiser coming from the other side of the world. We are sceduled to stop at Cabo San Lucas early December on the Carnival Miracle We arrive around 9.30 and depart at 4. We want to let our kids swim with the dolphins. Do we book for a cruise tour or book through one of the cabo tour websites? The reason I ask is that most of the cabo tour websites say not to book the Dolphin tour if you are cruising? Any help greatly appreciated.

Many local tour operators will not allow you to book directly - if it's also offered through the cruise line. I'm sure it's some sort it contractual arrangement.

So....depending on how important it is you have 2 choices:

1. Prebook it through the cruise line

2. Get off the ship and hope to find a vendor at the dock the day you arrive.

We've done it both ways!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you are on a ship-sponsored excursion and something happens and you are running late, they will hold the ship for you and/or pay for you to get to your next port should the ship sail away without you.

If you do a non-sponsored excursion and you are not back on time, the ship will sail away without you and you are on your own.

I do not know where the port in Cabo is in relation to where the excursion is taking place, but travel time is something to take into consideration. Sure, it costs a bit more to do a ship-sponsored excursion, but that peace of mind is worth it to me.

I know I am going to get flamed for my opinion, so go ahead, I can take it.

If you try and book with an outside vendor you will likely loose your money and not be allowed to participate in the excursion. The cruise lines check the reservation list against their manifest and if it's discovered you are from the ship, you will be cancelled with no notice. Carnival is not the only cruise line with this policy.

Since you are coming from such a long ways away, I would not risk disappointing the family. The dolphin encounter is a short walking distance from the tender pier. Depending on what time you book, you will have time after to hire a water taxi to take you on a tour of the Arch and to Medano Beach if you want to go to the beach. There are several restaurants on the beach to choose from that will allow you to use their loungers as long as you are buying food or drink. Two restaurant that are family friendly are the Medano Beach Club and the Sand Bar, they are next door to each other. December is a beautiful time to visit Cabo, not hot.

Cabo is my second home, I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks cw great advice and much appreciated. It's there much to see around the marina? We are coming from Australia and are used to beautiful beaches. Is there much to see in regards to culture, history and Mexican shopping?

There's not much history or culture in the immediate marina area, it's mostly shops, bars, restaurants, fishing boats (some really nice yachts at times). You can walk most of the town (beyond the marina) in a couple of hours.

If you are on a ship-sponsored excursion and something happens and you are running late, they will hold the ship for you and/or pay for you to get to your next port should the ship sail away without you.

If you do a non-sponsored excursion and you are not back on time, the ship will sail away without you and you are on your own.

Who told you that?

Thanks cw great advice and much appreciated. It's there much to see around the marina? We are coming from Australia and are used to beautiful beaches. Is there much to see in regards to culture, history and Mexican shopping?

There is an old church and a small museum (history of Baja California from prehistoric times to the present) about 10 minutes from the marina. No charge for the museum, but they ask for donations. Most of the display descriptions are in both Spanish and English.

On the map below, follow the red line (starts at the tender pier) around the marina until you get to the flea market (it is a whole bunch of stalls set in an alley). Go thru the market and to the street. Walk to the crosswalk and cross the street. The street that the church and museum (the blue dots) are on is Calle Cabo San Lucas.

The map I used was wikimapia.

CSLchurchmuseummap_zps5cad6f72.jpg

The dolphins are right at the pier we walked paid a cover charge and watched the show that was going on it was nice would do it again.

That's a good point, you can watch, it used to be for free, but maybe now they are charging a cover charge, haven't done it in a couple of years. Grouchpuss, how much did you pay?

As others have said, shopping is right there at the tender pier, but if you go one street behind the Marina, you'll get better prices. The town is very walkable.

IMHO, Medano Beach is beautiful, but then I'm prejudice because I live there. :)

There are lots of shopping opportunities on the beach because it is loaded with vendors. It is one thing that many do not like, but a simple no thank you sends them on their way. There are also opportunities to rent kayaks, jet skis, SUP boards, etc.

As others have said, shopping is right there at the tender pier, but if you go one street behind the Marina, you'll get better prices. The town is very walkable.

IMHO, Medano Beach is beautiful, but then I'm prejudice because I live there. :)

There are lots of shopping opportunities on the beach because it is loaded with vendors. It is one thing that many do not like, but a simple no thank you sends them on their way.

Hey Wendy - Are there any benches around the Marina or are they still gone?

That's a good point, you can watch, it used to be for free, but maybe now they are charging a cover charge, haven't done it in a couple of years. Grouchpuss, how much did you pay?

There are lots of shopping opportunities on the beach because it is loaded with vendors. It is one thing that many do not like, but a simple no thank you sends them on their way. There are also opportunities to rent kayaks, jet skis, SUP boards, etc.

Thanks again cw, all information is greatly appreciated. Our plan is to let our two kids do the Dolphin swim and then have a look around, so any suggestions are certainly most helpful in particular places to see, works on the beach to do, the best shops etc. Given your local knowledge it is welcome advice.

Thanks again from a wide eyed aussie

Myra Cabo is a resort town know for it's famous landmark, the arch. The marina is loaded with restaurants and numerous shops. Great for people watching.

December is also the start of whale season, so if you take a water taxi and do a tour to the arch and go to Medano Beach, you may get lucky along the way. For sure, when you sail in and out of Cabo, watch for spouts.

Archived