Tasmania excursions

I am starting to research excursions in Tasmania. Since we don't have many folks on our roll call, we are looking at Princess excursions in Tasmania. Has anyone been to both Something Wild and Bonorong Wildlife Park. We are trying to determine which one is better. They both look very similar and quite nice. I could use a little help in deciding.

I am starting to research excursions in Tasmania. Since we don't have many folks on our roll call, we are looking at Princess excursions in Tasmania. Has anyone been to both Something Wild and Bonorong Wildlife Park. We are trying to determine which one is better. They both look very similar and quite nice. I could use a little help in deciding.

Hi, hope I can be of some help. Unfortunately I haven't been into Something Wild, but am able to tell you that it is located approx 80 ks from Hobart, near Mt.Field National Park and Russell Falls (have been there several times). Would imagine your tour would include these. If so,I don't think you would be disappointed as the trip up there and the area itself is quite beautiful. Bonorong is located in Brighton, an outer suburb. It's a pretty drive, approx 30 min from the city and is a popular family venue.

If Koala Bears are a must see, they are at Bonorong, but could not be sure about Something Wild. They are not native to Tassie. The Devils will be at both.

If time permits, Hobart is a very easy city to explore alone. It is only a very short walk to the CBD from the docks. It's compact, pretty and friendly.

Hope you enjoy your cruise:)

• 1 month later...

Both of those places sound wonderful. Does anyone know of any independent operators that would take people on tours to these places? I've tried to contact the tourism office in Hobart via email and some other operators that I've found on the CC boards, but haven't had any luck in getting responses. Any information provided would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo.

Aloha, Kim :)

Kim,

I've never been to Tasmania via cruise ship, so I'm not familiar with the tour names you mentioned. However, I have been to Hobart twice. One of the most fantastic places to see if the prison (I forget the name now). It's about an hour's ride from Hobart and is just fascinating to see how Australia started. The remains of the prison, architecturally, are just gorgeous and the history is fascinating.

We just drove to the prison, but realize that's not possible for you. Try doing search from Swain tours. They do a lot of tours in Oz and perhaps could arrange a pier pick-up. If you take a private tour, you'll see a whole lot more.

The town of Hobart is a nice place to walk around too. Salmanca Place is a hub of nice shops/restaurants and on some days has an open air market.

You neglected to mention when you'll be there. But if you're lucky enough to be there the 1st week of January, you'll experience the incredible "Taste of Tasmania" festival. All the fabulous foods of Tassie are sold and it's one huge festival with free music, performance artists and lots of activities.

If you're there the week between Xmas and New Year's, you'll experience the famous Sydney to Hobart race. The whole city is boat crazy and it gets very lively, day and night.

Tassietiger - Koala's are NOT bears, they're marsupials.

Jane

Mahalo Jane for the information.

Unfortunately, we will be there in March 2006 on a Friday, so we will miss the boat race, the "Taste of Tasmania", and the open market. I'll check out Swain tours. I believe you were referring to Port Arthur.

Mahalo and Aloha,

Kim :)

We used Tigerline tours to visit Port Arthur while in Hobart. Their tour was much less than what the cruise line charged for the same tour -www.tigerline.com.au Highly recommend taking the day to visit Port Arthur.

We were pleased with Arthur in Dunedin. We used traveonline.com to assist with rental cars and local tours in Sydney. The Blue Mountain tour they recommended was excellent.

Mahalo Jane for the information.

Unfortunately, we will be there in March 2006 on a Friday, so we will miss the boat race, the "Taste of Tasmania", and the open market. I'll check out Swain tours. I believe you were referring to Port Arthur.

Mahalo and Aloha,

Kim :)

Kim,

Yes, Port Arthur. It's a "don't miss".

The market at Salmanca might very well be open on Friday's.

Whenever you go, you'll have a great time! Tassie is quite chilly, bring sweaters!

Jane

If you have a day in Hobart I definitely recommend seeing Richmond and Port Arthur. Port Arthur has so much history and is where so many of our prisoners were sent when they were transported from England and Ireland from the late 1700's.

It was a shocking place to be and yet when you visit it is so peaceful now. Hard to believe what our early settlers went through before they became free men. There is a wonderful book written by Robert Huges called "The Fatal Shore" which tells the history of the early convict settlement here in Australia.

Unfortunately, the Salamanca Market in Hobart is only open on a Saturday morning. Hobart is a delightful city and if you want to have a lovely meal and visit a winery then

the Moorilla Estate is well worth a visit.

Jennie

• 1 month later...

I will be in Tasmania for one day and must choose between a wildlife park to see the "devils" or a tour to Port Arthur. Any suggestions? Does any one know if the devils can be seen at the zoo in sydney or one of the wildlife parks we will visit on the way to Blue Mountain?

Thanks

Dave

Cruising the Diamond Princess 2/1/06

I am also trying to decide about those excursions. Everyone raves about Port Arthur, but I can't imagine what is so great about a former prison. But apparently there is something special about it. I still have lots of research to do on this port. The Devils don't look like a "must see" to me; although the wildlife parks do look nice.

I will be in Tasmania for one day and must choose between a wildlife park to see the "devils" or a tour to Port Arthur. Any suggestions? Does any one know if the devils can be seen at the zoo in sydney or one of the wildlife parks we will visit on the way to Blue Mountain?

Thanks

Dave

Cruising the Diamond Princess 2/1/06

Though I'm a big fan of nature and love to visit wildlife parks, the Port Arthur prison is a must. DON'T miss it, IMO.

Jane

Port Arthur covers quite a large area and the setting is very picturesque. The history of the place is reason enough to visit, but the presentation and guided tours are just first rate. It represents an important piece of Australia's history. It was one of the highlights of our New Zealand/Australia cruise.

Jane and eldercruser,

So many people feel the way you do about Port Arthur, so it must be quite a place. I will put Port Arthur on the top of the list ahead of Mt. Field National Park for now. I am looking forward to researching this wonderful place.

Do you think there is enough time to take the tour if you are on a cruise ship ?

Port Arthur is a good one and a half hours drive from Hobart. If you have a full day there, I am sure you can do it as the roads over there are never crowded.We have just come back from 10 wonderful days in Tasmania, visiting the National Parks and one day we drove for over 4 hours and saw about 2 cars. It is a lovely island with so much to see.Jennie

Aussie Gal,

Is the drive to Port Arthur a good sampling of the Tasmanian landscape? One of the reasons I wanted to go to Mt. Field NP is to see some of Tasmania's natural beauty. By doing a full day tour to Port Arthur, that is the only site we will be able to experience, so I am hoping the ride is nice.

Aussie Gal,

Is the drive to Port Arthur a good sampling of the Tasmanian landscape? One of the reasons I wanted to go to Mt. Field NP is to see some of Tasmania's natural beauty. By doing a full day tour to Port Arthur, that is the only site we will be able to experience, so I am hoping the ride is nice.

Port Arthur is so much a part of our early history and settlement here in Australia. It is a very beautiful place and even though I have not been there for over 20 years and have forgotten the drive down there, I know that there are very few areas in Tasmania that are not covered in bushland. Most of Tasmania is covered in wonderful forests and I am sure that you will see some natural beauty on the way. If you can, try and make a small detour to Richmond. It has the oldest bridge in Tasmania and is a lovely town with lots of colonial architecture.Jennie

I agree with you Steve. Hobart is such a beautiful city and has so much to offer tourists.

Perhaps the Port Fees are cheaper in Burnie and of course it is only a 10 hour trip between Burnie and Melbourne which could make a difference to their scheduling.

Jennie

• 2 months later...

From the Star - Hobart Dec. 2003 - We did Bonorong Wildlife Park, Richmand, The Steam Railroad Ride, Port Arthur, saw Devils Kitchen, the Blow Hole, all the "DOO" places, & sampled the ice cream - yum! A full day w/Tigerline private van rental w/driver & guide!

In April from the Diamond, we are going to the Tahune Forest , National Heritage Center, Airwalk, Eagle Glide & ending the day at Home Hill Winery for tastings and tea. I have hired a Tigeline 1X12 coach again...Looking forward to a fabulous day..........again!

If you contact them you can mention Renee Moss recommendation - This year I am working with Sarah Best.

Good Luck!

Renee

Renee,

We will be going to the Tahune Airwalk, Eagle Glide, Bonorong and hopefully hope to go up Mt. Wellington on the way back. It should be a be wonderful day. I am glad to see that Boynton Beach will be well represented in Tasmania this year. :) Have a great cruise.

Hi Mike -

I read your posts with interest - too bad we always miss eachother on one cruise or another!

Where are you in Boynton? We're at Valencia Isles.......

Question please?

We are on the Diamond April 14 cruise - as you will do this excursion before us.......I would appreciate your input as I've never been to this part of Tasmania from Hobart.

I'm trying to get a 'timeline' for our day - We will have 9 in our (private) group wanting to 'Eagle Glide' . We will be leaving Hobart closest to docking time as possible (8AM).

What time would you recommend to reserve for the Eagle Glide?

Of course, I think it's best to do this BEFORE lunch :eek:

What is your itinerary and timeline for your Shorex?? Have you hired Tassielink (thru Tigerline) as we did? If so - may I please ask what is your quote for the full day, coach and driver??

We have 2 different Tours going from the Diamond - with 2 different quotes from Tigerline for the same Full Day 1 X 12 Coach.......I've asked for a review of my 'contract' (our Shorex to the National Forest etc. vs. the other Shorex going to Port Arthur ) is the higher of the 2 quotes - but so far, no answer from Sarah Best. I'd appreciate your input on this........

FYI for your itinerary - We have been to Bonorong - I recommend going there first - straight from Hobart - you will beat the Princess busses and have the park to yourselves - it was DOO-LICIOUS! :D

Thanks for your help - Renee

Archived