Another FLL Hotel/Shuttle question

aeegee

Great!!! I think we've decided to do this. It's not that we want to be at port real early, we just want to avoid the "crush" of people/suitcases.

Do you ever have a problem getting/waiting for a cab at the hotel? I guess I just have visions of lots of people doing the same thing because all of these hotels are full of cruisers. Do you call early in the morning or the night before?

Thank you

Sometimes there is no avoiding the crush. It depends on when the other 2500-6000 passengers decide to head in to port, what time the flights arrive with those that have cruise line shuttles, etc.

I've never had a problem with getting a cab in Ft. Lauderdale. I schlep my bags to the lobby and call. The few minutes I wait in front of the hotel is easily passed talking to others who are headed to the port :) and maybe one that is headed to the airport for a flight home after a cruise:(.

I've never tried to set up a time the night before. I usually call Yellow Cab...no real reason but never had a problem. 954-777-7777. The cabbies know that there is money to be made from the hotels on 17th so they're normally in the area and at the hotel in just a few minutes.

Charlie

BTW...Yuengling is a local beer in Florida. It's brewed in Tampa.

Only since 1999 when they bought the old Stroh's Brewery. From 1829 until then it was only brewed in Pottsville, PA and had very limited distribution to loyal customers.

The brew from either plant is equally tasty:p (IMNSHO)

Charlie

Only since 1999 when they bought the old Stroh's Brewery. From 1829 until then it was only brewed in Pottsville, PA and had very limited distribution to loyal customers.

The brew from either plant is equally tasty:p (IMNSHO)

Charlie

Yes, we've taken the tour and learned all about the brewery. It's so great to have the oldest brewery in the US in PA. Not very many folks outside of the PA area know about it or it's history, but it's wonderful. My DH had it when we were in Philly in July. Great that they are outside of PA now, but not quite far enough west to make it to us. It was amazing that they use to make all that beer in that little brewery with just 2 kettles.

Charlie, it's been a real pleasure reminiscing with you. It's always fun to find someone that enjoys the same things and has a great since of humor. Perhaps we'll meet on a cruise one day.

Sometimes there is no avoiding the crush. It depends on when the other 2500-6000 passengers decide to head in to port, what time the flights arrive with those that have cruise line shuttles, etc.

I've never had a problem with getting a cab in Ft. Lauderdale. I schlep my bags to the lobby and call. The few minutes I wait in front of the hotel is easily passed talking to others who are headed to the port :) and maybe one that is headed to the airport for a flight home after a cruise:(.

I've never tried to set up a time the night before. I usually call Yellow Cab...no real reason but never had a problem. 954-777-7777. The cabbies know that there is money to be made from the hotels on 17th so they're normally in the area and at the hotel in just a few minutes.

Charlie

Good, thanks. There are 3 ships in port that day, so won't be as bad as it could be, but bad enough. At this point we are thinking about getting back to the hotel and making it to Southport in time for dinner:D. Don't mind the schlepping.

That's why ESA is perfectly situated directly across 17th Street from Southport and right in front of the Harbor Shops. Literally out the back door is Publix, Total Wine, Firehouse Subs, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Giuliani's Pizza, Lauderdale Grill, CoCo's Asian Bistro, Moe's Southwestern Grill, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Joe's Cafe (Greek), Gilbert's 17th Street Grill and Duffy's Sports Grill.

BTW...Yuengling is a local beer in Florida. It's brewed in Tampa.

http://www.theharborshops.com/index.php/about/

http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/fl/fort-lauderdale/cruiseport-airport

Sounds like this area is the perfect location for a stay before a cruise. Thanks for the links and help. I just wish it wasn't so far away until we GO.

Trying to decide between these 2 hotels for Feb pre cruise stay. Any opinions? Especially concerned with location. Thanks

Which Hyatt Place? If you are looking at the one near SE 17th St the location is good. Alhambra location is even better if you want to be near the beach. Both are close to stores and restaurants and both are close to the port.

I've never had a problem with getting a cab in Ft. Lauderdale. I schlep my bags to the lobby and call. Charlie

If a normal cruise day, you won't have to make any calls. Post cruiers are arriving around 9-10 as well as guests headed to the port. The cabbies will be doing a back and forth to the port all morning. If no doorman, stand in front of the hotel with your bags and you will have a cab in less than 5 min. ;)

If a normal cruise day, you won't have to make any calls. Post cruiers are arriving around 9-10 as well as guests headed to the port. The cabbies will be doing a back and forth to the port all morning. If no doorman, stand in front of the hotel with your bags and you will have a cab in less than 5 min. ;)

Correct. Some hotels have taxi stands or wait areas. And yes, if that is the case, I would not be making a phone call.

In the absence of a doorman I would then wave as I have never mastered the 2 finger whistle that you see in the movies;)

Charlie

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If I may ask one more question and it may seem silly. I'm up to about 1/3 of the way through the FLL departure thread and I see very little on the Holiday Inn Express on 17th. I realize that hotels are all an individual like/dislike based on your stay, but it seems odd that I don't see much here on the HI.

As I've stated before we keep coming back to this hotel for what it offers, but no one else seems to think it's that great, I guess, because it's hardly ever mentioned. Is there something the matter with it, other than the fact that it doesn't have a managers reception? It's closer to port and has a small breakfast, it's a little cheaper and offers free airport pick-up.

I'm just asking because it just seems odd that so many OTHER hotels are mentioned/recommended, but not this one. I will choose one that seems good for us, but I just thought it odd.

Thanks again for your help.

HIX is the mid favorite of the ones I recall staying in (see my earlier post). It's clean, comfortable, generally affordable, decent breakfast and well located.

As far as I know there is no reason it shouldn't be well discussed on these boards. Maybe as a group we CCers are looking more for either super luxury or super economy and HIX doesn't fir either category:)

Charlie

HIX is the mid favorite of the ones I recall staying in (see my earlier post). It's clean, comfortable, generally affordable, decent breakfast and well located.

As far as I know there is no reason it shouldn't be well discussed on these boards. Maybe as a group we CCers are looking more for either super luxury or super economy and HIX doesn't fir either category:)

Charlie

Thanks again Charlie.

Just thought it odd and started wondering why. I guess it doesn't matter where we book/stay. It's one night and I think we'll survive. Just didn't want to be far from port and this fits the bill. It's good and bad looking at hotels so far from a cruise date. You can drive yourself crazy, which I've been doing. Time to just take the plunge. I should have booked right after the Yuengling was mentioned, :D, that's what my DH said to do.

Archived