Another FLL Hotel/Shuttle question

aeegee

I've gone through quite a few of these threads and while they are very helpful I can't find the answer I'm looking for. Can someone help, please?

We're looking at hotels close to port, mainly the Holiday Inn Express on 17th. They do have an airport pick up, which is great. My question about this hotel and all the others in the area is, are the shuttles to the port the next day on a schedule time or are they every half hour/hour? Many years ago we had a shuttle to port, but it was a crowded mess of people/suitcases trying to get on the shuttle. I'm assuming if the hotel has scheduled times and there is an early one, like 10am, that everyone would want that one. I've also heard that most of the shuttles are not hotel shuttles, but contracted services.

We would take the shuttles if we could go when we wanted to, yes around 10 because you can't board earlier than 11 or so, but if it's a mad house or if the early shuttle was full we'd take a cab. Are cabs readily available, at say the Holiday Inn Express and if we call them in the morning will they be there when we want? We want to stay close to port in case we need to take a cab, which wouldn't be too expensive.

We go in March and fly out of FLL.

Thank you all for all the help you give.

I don't know how all the hotels run their shuttles but we have stayed at Hampton Inn Airport/North Cruiseport 4 times and been really happy with the hotel and their shuttle service. They are close to the airport and cruiseport. As you check in you can reserve the shuttle for the next day. I think they go every half hour or so. In the morning when the shuttle gets to the front door they call out the room numbers of the people booked on that shuttle and only they can get on - no pushing or shoving or cutting in line. It is all done very well and very organized.

My experience has been that the shuttles from each of the hotels on 17th is at additional charge. Most have been contracted out to regular shuttle services...not a shuttle owned and operated by the hotel. I've found that for 2 people it is the same price or less to take a cab. No line, no stops at other ships, just straight to the cruise port.

You should call and find out from the hotel itself about their shuttle policy.

17th is really a great place to stay with the services that are available in the area.

Charlie

My experience has been that the shuttles from each of the hotels on 17th is at additional charge. Most have been contracted out to regular shuttle services...not a shuttle owned and operated by the hotel. I've found that for 2 people it is the same price or less to take a cab. No line, no stops at other ships, just straight to the cruise port.

17th is really a great place to stay with the services that are available in the area.

Charlie

I stopped in Extended Stay America a week or so ago just to see it and asked a couple of questions. The girl at the desk made it sound like their own shuttle made runs to Port Everglades for $4 each, but I didn't clarify if it was their shuttle or contracted out. At $4 per person, though, I would bet it's their own shuttle which would be much more convenient.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie. Any recommendations for hotels you've stayed at in that area?

I stopped in Extended Stay America a week or so ago just to see it and asked a couple of questions. The girl at the desk made it sound like their own shuttle made runs to Port Everglades for $4 each, but I didn't clarify if it was their shuttle or contracted out. At $4 per person, though, I would bet it's their own shuttle which would be much more convenient.

I will call the hotel and ask about their service. I'll have to look up their exact location. I only mentioned the Holiday Inn because it was close and not quite as expensive as some of the others. March is high season so most hotels are pretty expensive. Thanks for the info.

Thank you Charlie. Any recommendations for hotels you've stayed at in that area?

I've stayed at the Renaissance, Holiday Inn Express, and Extended Stay.

Pros & Cons: (IMHO)

1. Renaissance - Super comfortable, some rooms with great views. But usually more costly and no comp breakfast.
  2. Holiday Inn Express - Comfortable, affordable (usually), comp breakfast.
  3. Extended Stay - Least expensive and still clean. But least comfortable (only 2 thin pillows, hard bed). I don't recall if they had breakfast there or not. The one time we used them we went to the Marina Deli across the street for breakfast.

BTW Marina Deli is a great place if you like a good Rueben. It's right across from Extended Stay but you have to look for it. It's hidden in a strip mall.

Have a great cruise.

Charlie

1. Renaissance - Super comfortable, some rooms with great views. But usually more costly and no comp breakfast.
  3. Extended Stay - Least expensive and still clean. But least comfortable (only 2 thin pillows, hard bed). I don't recall if they had breakfast there or not. The one time we used them we went to the Marina Deli across the street for breakfast.

BTW Marina Deli is a great place if you like a good Rueben. It's right across from Extended Stay but you have to look for it. It's hidden in a strip mall.

Have a great cruise.

Charlie

Great info, thanks again. We may have to try the Extended Stay just because my DH loves Rueben's.

Great info, thanks again. We may have to try the Extended Stay just because my DH loves Rueben's.

Oh, I've also found that the Holiday Inn is one, if not the only, in the area that has free airport shuttle. Most of the hotels close to port don't offer free shuttles from/to the airport or to port. We could take a cab, but it's nice to know that there is a free shuttle.

The Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, just in case anyone needs the info, does have free airport service and free shuttle to the port. The shuttle to port runs, 10am, 11am and 12pm. This Marriott is west of I-95 so it is farther away.

I will call the hotel and ask about their service. I'll have to look up their exact location. I only mentioned the Holiday Inn because it was close and not quite as expensive as some of the others. March is high season so most hotels are pretty expensive. Thanks for the info.

Their exact location is right next door to the HI Express on 17th Street. They have a free airport shuttle as well.

Actually any of the hotels on 17th would be close enough for a walk to the Marina Deli. It is only open for breakfast and lunch. The owner (Harry) is a transplanted New Yorker who has been in the restaurant business since he got out of the Army during the Korean War.

Another favorite of mine in the area is Southport Raw Bar. It's on Cordoba Ave. just a block and a half off of 17th. Fish & Chips, raw oysters, draft Yuengling.....it don't get no better (as my English teacher would say:p)

Have a great time in FLL

Charlie

Have a great cruise.

Charlie

So glad to read this..we booked the Renaissance in March, 2014 for one night pre-cruise. Any restaurant recommendations within walking distance? Thanks. :)

Actually any of the hotels on 17th would be close enough for a walk to the Marina Deli. It is only open for breakfast and lunch. The owner (Harry) is a transplanted New Yorker who has been in the restaurant business since he got out of the Army during the Korean War.

Another favorite of mine in the area is Southport Raw Bar. It's on Cordoba Ave. just a block and a half off of 17th. Fish & Chips, raw oysters, draft Yuengling.....it don't get no better (as my English teacher would say:p)

Have a great time in FLL

Charlie

OH MY Charlie. My husband just said, "Raw bar, oysters on the half shell and YUENGLING, how can you ask for anything more". Gee I hope I can get him on the ship.

We are originally from Philly so Yuengling is the best. We actually have a Yuengling sign hanging above our computer. Now living in AZ we can't get the good stuff. Really miss the food.

Thanks so much for making our day with some laughs and the hopes of some good food/beer in FLL.

So glad to read this..we booked the Renaissance in March, 2014 for one night pre-cruise. Any restaurant recommendations within walking distance? Thanks. :)

What date, what cruise line? We sail in March also.

Southport is my favorite. It's a half mile walk from the Renaissance but real easy to get to. Click Here for a map. Walk through the restaurant to the back and get seated outside. You'll be right at the end of a waterway. It's not heaven but you can see it from there:D

OH MY Charlie. My husband just said, "Raw bar, oysters on the half shell and YUENGLING, how can you ask for anything more". Gee I hope I can get him on the ship.

We are originally from Philly so Yuengling is the best. We actually have a Yuengling sign hanging above our computer. Now living in AZ we can't get the good stuff. Really miss the food.

Thanks so much for making our day with some laughs and the hopes of some good food/beer in FLL.

I have to rub it in! I'm sucking on a Yuengling as I type this:p

OK that was really mean on my part. To make you feel better, Click Here for a discount coupon for Southport. It expires in November but they have always had some available online any time I've gone. So just do a Google search before you go.

Happy sails to you,

Charlie

We have found it was cheaper for the three of us to take a cab and go at our own time and not be crowded than to pay and wait for any shuttles.

From the airport to Embassy suites for 3 adults $20 tip incl.

From the Embassy to port $20 for 3 adults incl tip

From Port to airport Yup you guessed it $20.

So the moral of the story take a cab.

Also I think RCI was charging $18 bucks per person from airport to port, and you had to wait till the bus filled up.

So we now just take our 20 dollar bills.

Sea Ya

Southport is my favorite. It's a half mile walk from the Renaissance but real easy to get to. Click Here for a map. Walk through the restaurant to the back and get seated outside. You'll be right at the end of a waterway. It's not heaven but you can see it from there:D

I have to rub it in! I'm sucking on a Yuengling as I type this:p

OK that was really mean on my part. To make you feel better, Click Here for a discount coupon for Southport. It expires in November but they have always had some available online any time I've gone. So just do a Google search before you go.

Happy sails to you,

Charlie

OMG, you are too funny. My husband burst out laughing. I did actually go on line and check Southport out. Read the menu and drooled the whole time. On the menu they have the Yuengling sign and we have the same sign.

Thanks again. You've given us some great info.

We have found it was cheaper for the three of us to take a cab and go at our own time and not be crowded than to pay and wait for any shuttles.

From the airport to Embassy suites for 3 adults $20 tip incl.

From the Embassy to port $20 for 3 adults incl tip

From Port to airport Yup you guessed it $20.

So the moral of the story take a cab.

Also I think RCI was charging $18 bucks per person from airport to port, and you had to wait till the bus filled up.

So we now just take our 20 dollar bills.

Sea Ya

Great!!! I think we've decided to do this. It's not that we want to be at port real early, we just want to avoid the "crush" of people/suitcases.

Do you ever have a problem getting/waiting for a cab at the hotel? I guess I just have visions of lots of people doing the same thing because all of these hotels are full of cruisers. Do you call early in the morning or the night before?

Thank you

ESA does have breakfast, kitchenettes in every room and they recently renovated.

Yes, I saw that when I looked on line. It sounds very nice. I'm afraid that after reading Charlie's information that we'll have to go to Southport for the food and beer. You can't tempt someone with that kind of food and that particular beer, who live in AZ and them not go.

Thank you very much.

Yes, I saw that when I looked on line. It sounds very nice. I'm afraid that after reading Charlie's information that we'll have to go to Southport for the food and beer. You can't tempt someone with that kind of food and that particular beer, who live in AZ and them not go.

Thank you very much.

That's why ESA is perfectly situated directly across 17th Street from Southport and right in front of the Harbor Shops. Literally out the back door is Publix, Total Wine, Firehouse Subs, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Giuliani's Pizza, Lauderdale Grill, CoCo's Asian Bistro, Moe's Southwestern Grill, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Joe's Cafe (Greek), Gilbert's 17th Street Grill and Duffy's Sports Grill.

BTW...Yuengling is a local beer in Florida. It's brewed in Tampa.

http://www.theharborshops.com/index.php/about/

http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/fl/fort-lauderdale/cruiseport-airport

Archived