Help! Chankanaab vs. Playa Mia

FrugalConsumer

We will be traveling on the Disney Fantasy in October to Cozumel. I am trying to decide between Chankanaab Park or Playa Mia. I have 2 boys (8 and 10). One likes the ocean and snorkeling and the other prefers the pool. We will be at Cozumel for most of the day.

For those who have visited both places - which did you prefer as far as things to do and pretty beaches?? Also, wondering about the food at both places. Chankanaab has a lower up front cost but I am wondering if it would be about the same cost as Playa Mia once you figure in drinks, food, and transportation. Thank you for your help! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking at this. I have read mitsugirly reviews on both.

I am thinking Playa Mia since it has all of the water toys included in the price. For $60 you can do the all you can eat buffet, drinks and admission.

I tried to find a menu for Chank but am having a hard time. I figured by the time you add in drinks and food, it has to be close. Plus, I don't think Chank has water toys.

We are planning on snorkeling in another port.

If you haven't seen Mitsugirly's reviews of Chank, then look her up and read them (the links are in her signature).

We went to Chankanaab last year, and it could fit what you want to do with your family. They have a very nice pool, and I think there were a couple of restauants, and a few shops. The snorkeling is good for the son who wants to do that. The beach is man made (because Chank is very rocky w/steps down into the water - which makes for better snorkeling). There is a shallow area where you can walk into the water there too, but its not very big. Chank has the sea lion show, which is free w/admission. Its a nice park. I don't think either son would be disappointed in this choice either.

Have been to Chank but not Playa Mia. Chank does not have he water floats but does have decent snorkeling, the Sea Lion Show, a pool and you can see the dolphins and manatees (from a distance if not participating in the encounters). Food at Chank was cheap and good. DH and I ended up sharing a huge plate for less than $10 including beer. Chank also has the trail with the little reproductions of Mayan remains.

Chankanab was nice for snorkeling, but does not really have a large beach area. Playa Mia's beach is huge and they have a pool, not very good snorkeling though.

Does not have a really big beach area? :confused: The beach is HUGE and runs all the way up and down Chank in front of the snorkeling. No, the beach does not go into the water (because of having to take the steps into the water), but there is plenty of beach/sand area for kids to play in.

This is behind the palapas and goes all the way to the lagoon:

IMG_7960-M.jpg

Sand everywhere

IMG_7981-M.jpg

In front of snorkeling area

IMG_7985-M.jpg

Plenty of places on the beach to play

IMG_7987-M.jpg

I am also looking at this. I have read mitsugirly reviews on both.

I am thinking Playa Mia since it has all of the water toys included in the price. For $60 you can do the all you can eat buffet, drinks and admission.

I tried to find a menu for Chank but am having a hard time. I figured by the time you add in drinks and food, it has to be close. Plus, I don't think Chank has water toys.

We are planning on snorkeling in another port.

I wish I would have taken a picture of the menu at Chankanaab. I can tell you that we got a huge "sampler platter" and it was more than filling (for $10 or $12 I can't remember)

This was after I had already started digging in to it and realized that I hadn't taken a picture yet

IMG_7982-M.jpg

Just remember...it's cheaper to eat along the beach and order with your waiter that comes to your palapa than it is to eat over at the pool area restaurant in front of the dolphin swims. My oldest daughter and her bf ordered a burrito and paid $10 for it alone.

Playa Mia, our kids had a blast...both on the beach and the water park (they did not have the water toys in the ocean the day we were there). You can check out my signature line and go to the corresponding starting post to read about our day there. I would highly recommend it for little ones. So much to do there.

HOWEVER, just know that it is reported that if there are a lot of ships in port the day you are there...the place WILL BE PACKED like sardines. Our day, we were the only ship in port (or maybe there was 1 more I don't remember) but the place was deserted. It made for a great day. If there were 7 ships in port that day, I'm not so sure that it would have been such a great day. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are just back from our trip - we did playa mia in the end- a $22 cab ride each way, 10 minutes from dock.

The kids had a fantastic time. They have a floating obstacle course which is pretty tough and Im very glad they make everyone, including adults, wear life jackets out there. They also have water slides the kids loved and a fantastic toddler water park, the nicest I have seen; my two year old loved it. It got crowded with 7 boats in port but we went at about 9am and it was not that bad initially. 11-2 were pretty crowded, but not unmanagable, then it thinned out again. We got chairs right in front of the water and the kids had a ton of fun. We got the buffet b/c it was only 10 extra and it was fine, we were pretty sick of eating all the time on the boat so we weren't that picky. The toddler pool was crystal clear initially- by late afternoon it was a little less so- more sand dragged in, etc. There was also a regular playground and play hut with some toys for toddlers- my kids all really enjoyed the day. The only drawback is they all got sunburned despite lots of sunscreen so keep your eye on that.

If you are looking for a secret deserted spot (like I half was but abandoned in favor of fun for the kids), this is definitely not the place, but if you are looking for things to keep your kids happy while you have a drink or two beachfront, this is a good choice.

Thanks to all who gave me the advice!