Non adjoining cabins

I got a great response on my last question so i thought i would pose another that my wife and i have been kicking around. Since we have had kids, we have been getting 2 adjoining cabins on all of our cruises, 7ish, and we were wondering if others do this and at what point they started getting non adjoining cabins? The adjoining cabins not only limits us to certain ships, but they are also costly given we usually get 2 balconies, and we have to book way in advance given we usually cruise over the holidays. What we would like to start doing is getting a balcony and an inside across the hall. This will not only be less expensive, but will also open up more ship options not to mention this will be much easier to find this configuration so we wont have to book so far in advance.

So, my question is at what age did you stop getting adjoining cabins? I also understand that getting a suite will also solve some of these issues, but most of the time when i compare that option, it is usually either more expensive than 2 cabins and doesnt give us 2 bathrooms so we usually opt for the 2 adjoining cabins.

As you may have guessed from my last 2 questions, our kids are getting older and we all love to cruise, but we need to make some adjustments on how we do it.

Thanks for your help.

Some ships have a balcony that connects to an inside cabin.....that's a good option, but there aren't many of those on the ships that do have them.

I would think when kids hit about 11 or 12, something across the hall would be fine. The hallways are narrow, so you're only steps away. I wouldn't be comfortable if the kids were much farther than that, until they hit their late teens and had proved they could be trusted!!

Don't some lines have rules about this? Kids have to be a certain age to be in a non-adjoining cabin.

Mine isn't old enough for that so I haven't really looked into it.

Unless it's a ship rule, I'd think you'd have to base that decision on the maturity of your children. If they are able to be somewhat on their own for land vacations, then a cruise should be no different.

Think of the following:

-Are they able to keep track of their room key

-Will they unplug hair irons before leaving

-Do they understand that only family and the room steward is to be in their room, unless agreed upon otherwise

-Will they stay away from the mini bar

-Can they be trusted not to use room service unless agreed upon

-Will they check in with you at designated times

-Do they have a curfew which they will actually follow

-Can they leave the room in reasonable condition so the room steward isn't cleaning up piles of trash or thrown food every morning

-Can they keep noise level down so as not to pester neighbors

-Will they keep valuables out of sight/ do they know how to work the safe

-Do they know where the life vests are and how to put them on

-Do they know what to do in the unlikely emergency

-Do they understand what constitutes an emergency and possibly waking you at 4am(falling a breaking an arm vs. lost their daily schedule and are just wondering what excursion they are on tomorrow)

Finally, if they aren't able to follow the rules set forth by you, are you prepared to "lay down the law" or split up and have 1 adult in each room?

Clarifying your language.

Connecting cabins have an interior door between them.

Adjoining cabins simply have a wall between them.

Almost every cabin adjoins with other cabins, very few connect with other cabins.

Clarifying your language.

Connecting cabins have an interior door between them.

Adjoining cabins simply have a wall between them.

Almost every cabin adjoins with other cabins, very few connect with other cabins.

Yes, im talking about connecting cabins. A door inbetween them.

Also, a post from Lerin regarding kids having to be a certain age to be in a connecting room which is a true statement, but the way we book the cabins is we split the adults. Meaning my wife is booked in one with one child, and i am booked in the other with the other child. Done it every time without a problem. In fact, when we get on the ship, we go to the service desk and get all of our cards to work on both cabins doors. I think this is a pretty common practice given the services desk knows exactly what we want when we get down there.

thx

Yes, im talking about connecting cabins. A door inbetween them.

Also, a post from Lerin regarding kids having to be a certain age to be in a connecting room which is a true statement, but the way we book the cabins is we split the adults. Meaning my wife is booked in one with one child, and i am booked in the other with the other child. Done it every time without a problem. In fact, when we get on the ship, we go to the service desk and get all of our cards to work on both cabins doors. I think this is a pretty common practice given the services desk knows exactly what we want when we get down there.

thx

That is exactly what we do I am in one cabin with one child and my husband is in another with the other child for booking purposes only, when you get your rooms the service desk sorts it out, I think this is pretty common practice.

But getting back to the room configuration we generally have interconnecting rooms but we are booked for a cruise at Christmas and I could not get connectors so we just have two rooms side by side, my kids are 13 and 6 we will have a card for their room and they will also have a card for ours (well the 13 yo will) and they know what the rules are, so I have no problem with this they are only next door and my 13yo is very sensible.

I still get adjoining balcony rooms with my 15 yo twins. They are responsible & would definitely be ok across the hall but I like that they are right there & the balcony room for them is only a little more money.

Aside from that...each parent knows what their child could handle & how their child acts. Some kids are responsible & mature at 12...others not until they are 16.

Archived