Cabin Assignments

RMM34667

Do you think the longer you wait for a GTY assignment the better it will be??

I know many of you book the cabin you want and are done! :) But I am an economy sailor and book what I can when I can! I've had great luck with booking the lowest category inside GTY and ending up with a great cabin. But in most cases I'm booking after final payment and get my cabin assignment right away.

After learning the Royal had no OV cabins I booked IA GTY for 10/29 & 11/3 over a year ago. If I go up it's to a balcony! I know I can't lose because all the IA's are perfectly located.

Fast forward 300 or so days and I am real anxious to get my assignments. I check my email 1/2 dozen times a day and I check My Princess a few times as well. (just in case the email was lost in cyberspace!) I also do mock bookings to see what is available for IA cabins. Nothing on 11/3 but 7 on 10/29.

The only way to curb my excitement is to think.. The longer I wait the better it will be! So.. do you think the later the assignment the better?

Well it does help to check a few times a day. No room assignment.. But the bungalows on Princess Cays have been sold out. When I look to see if I have a room assignment I always check on the excursions too. Tonight I found the bungalow said WAITLIST instead of sold out. One step closer!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Its kind of like Christmas Eve as a kid.

Anyway, I have booked GTY cabins a few times. Sometimes we got our cabin assignments a couple weeks or so after final payment and sometimes closer to sailing. Once we got our cabin assignment shortly before sailing. I was never disappointed in our cabins but none were upgrades to the next category.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get something special. I wonder if because its sold out, if they are waiting to see what last minute cancellations come up before giving out all cabin assignments.

Just off the Island Princess. My sister booked a OV GTY and got her assignment very early on-an obstructed OV. My husband and I booked an inside GTY and got our assignment 5 days before sailing. We got an obstructed OV handicapped cabin. Wow! Hardly any obstruction and super large room. Later assignment was much better in our case.

Last year we booked a guarantee, inside on the Plaza deck Cat L. We got our assignment only a couple of days before sailing and got an inside on the Plaza deck, but a bit closer to midship in Cat K. Pretty much got exactly what we booked, which is what we wanted. Late assignment had no effect. I think it matters more what categories are selling/not selling well on your particular cruise.

We just had the same thing happen to us. Got a handicap room three days before sailing. Will have trouble going back to regular room and bathroom. I guess they hold out these rooms till the last minute in case they are needed by another guest.

We booked a GTY for our cruise in October. It took about two weeks for me to get the cabin assignment. We booked a balcony and got a balcony but it is on the Carib deck which is an upgrade because the balconies are a bit larger. I would be curious as to how often people receive a second upgrade. On our cruise all the mini suites are showing sold out with just a few few suites remaining.

I'm thinking I'll get exactly what I booked. I keep looking and B411 is available on both cruises so maybe they will give me that for both. Which would be pretty ironic. My very first cruise was on the Caribbean Princess and I was in B411!!

I purposely did not link my cruises thinking I would have a better chance of an upgrade on at least one if they were not linked. But had this Cruise Consultant call my cell phone one day looking for my mother. At that point I really thought I might be cancelling the second cruise. When I mentioned that she was like. Oh there is a second cruise then said Yeah I see it let me link them... (she annoys me. the day I did final payment for the first cruise I filled in the home phone number and BAMB she calls that night on the home phone. - I'm doing all the planning and paying and don't want her talking to my Mom!)

On that point. Is it possible that my Mom has a different assigned cruise consultant than me? She calls asking for Mom, but I get emails from a different person.

[quote=RMM34667;39842692

I purposely did not link my cruises thinking I would have a better chance of an upgrade on at least one if they were not linked.

You really should always want your cruises linked so the computers (and humans) know you will not be disembarking at the end of the first segment.

During first segment if not linked:

o You will be sent luggage tags for disembarkation.

o You must close out your on-board account.

o You will not be given cruise cards for the next segment and must check in on shore with all the new passengers.

o You must be off the ship by 10 AM on turnaround day and cannot reboard until boarding starts for the new passengers

During first segment if linked:

o You will be given your cruise cards for the second segment along with instructions for turnaround day

o Your onboard account can be carried over to the second segment

o If you choose to go ashore on disembarkation day morning, you will have an in-transit pass that will allow you to reboard after about 10:30 AM without waiting for the time new passengers can board

o If in traditional fixed-time dining, you will be asked if you wish to keep the same table assignment for the second segment

Archived