MDR long waits for dinner service

cabincop

Sailed the Gem 8/10 this year, and the wait times in both the Magenta and Grand Pacific were horrible! 1.5 hrs was about average, often longer. Didn't matter what time we entered either. To top it off, the wait staff was slow with the water & with the drinks. Half the time at least one person's drink at the table was forgotten completely. All around bad job in the MDRs lately.

Are you saying you waited 1.5 hours to get into the MDR or that dinner took that long once you were seated?

This does seem to be what is coming across in many reviews recently. Service has suffered on all of the ships as they keep taking all of the experienced staff for the Breakaway and soon the Getaway. They need to leave a few behind in the hope they can bring the trainees up to a high standard.
Perhaps they sent the "experienced" staff only to the specialty restaurants on the Breakaway because in the main dining rooms you can tell some were overwhelmed and some had difficulty understanding english.

Have been on 9 NCL cruisdes on 5 different ships, traveling either with 2 or 3 other people.. We never had to wait over 10 minutes for a table, usually asking for the same waiter(ess) each time, and never were delayed in dinning, usually taking about 1 1/2 hours for dinner. This was great..

thanks, jus' me....jim...:cool:

Perhaps they sent the "experienced" staff only to the specialty restaurants on the Breakaway because in the main dining rooms you can tell some were overwhelmed and some had difficulty understanding english.

I agree although my MDR dining experiences were poorly paced. The Specialty restaurant service was excellent and timed appropriately. We did get an experienced staff member one night in the MDR however the other times they seemed a bit confused and inexperienced about the process.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I wouldn't mind a 1.5hr for dinner 2hrs is pushing it. Also they usually never got our orders right, or something was forgotten. Trust me I love NCL, I just would like a reasonable dinner service with no errors,lol. Just maybe 4 times out of a 9day cruise.

Weren't the traditional early and late cruise dinner seatings spaced a couple of hours apart?

The reason for this is classical dining should have time between courses. To clear the palate and to enjoy dinner conversation.

People are so used to Chili's and Applebee's and expect each course to be served immediately after each other. This is not appropriate. Personally, I like to linger after dinner and before dessert and coffee. I enjoy the break.

Also, wait staff is trained to wait until all diners are finished with one course begore bringing out the next.

People want to dress like they are at Chili's and at a frenetic pace but with the decor and menu of an upscsle restaurant. Maybe NCL and others need to respond by making one if the MDR's a Chili's clone and the other one a proper MDR.

I don't do buffets but if I did and if I was in a hurry I'd go there.

I plan 2 hours for the MDR. So, I have never had a problem.

I never go to Chili's or Applebeas and didn't even think they had courses. Set dining was usually 1.5hrs and then time for the tables to be cleared and reset, unless you were late seating. I don't know if you think because I don't want a 2hr dinner I expect cheap fast food, which is not true.

The food is typically better at applebees and chilis than on NCL. Any shore side restaurant that served the same quality food as NCL wouldn't last very long.

The food served by NCL is fine and a bargain compared to chain restaurants. If you asked for two desserts at any land restaurant you would be charged for two. Not so with NCL. I also think the service is better on NCL.

I never go to Chili's or Applebeas and didn't even think they had courses. Set dining was usually 1.5hrs and then time for the tables to be cleared and reset, unless you were late seating. I don't know if you think because I don't want a 2hr dinner I expect cheap fast food, which is not true.

Your chips and salsa, chili burger and lava cake at Chili's are 3 courses.

Since, I didn't quote you earlier, even though you are the OP, I was responding generally.

Archived