Itinerary opinions needed

CrusingwithM6

Hello Carnival cruisers!

I need some opinions. My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon cruise for next summer. After looking at lots of options we are between:

My favorite: 6 day Breeze from Miami to Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel.

His favorite: 5 day Triumph from Galveston to Progreso and Cozumel.

I'm partial to my favorite because it's a longer itinerary, I love Key West and I'd love to check out Grand Cayman. Plus I love the idea that it's on the Breeze. He's partial to his favorite because one of his lifelong dreams is to go to Chichen Itza and we can get there by going to Progreso. I just feel like his itinerary is so...meh.

I want to love his pick. I really do. But I just like mine so much more! Plus I feel like it's a longer, more interesting itinerary on a nicer ship from a more convenient port--something a little more special for a honeymoon. Can anyone help give me a pep talk about Progreso and his itinerary? In general, he's better at compromising than I am and since he's dying to go to Progreso I feel like I should compromise with this one since, when it comes down to it, I really would enjoy any cruise, especially with him.

Any opinions about either itinerary to help me shift my thinking? Or any tidbits of info to add to my pro/con list to share with the fiance?

I have not been on either ship, but I like the fact that the Breeze is a newer ship and I do like the itinerary better. From what I hear Key West is awesome, and I want to go to Grand Cayman sometime soon. I also like the fact that the Breeze cruise is a day longer. :) However, Triumph did just get a big overhaul with some 2.0 upgrades.

Whatever cruise you decide on, have a great time! Our first cruise was our honeymoon, and it was a blast. And congrats on your upcoming wedding!

We loved Cozumel. We went to a great all inclusive style beach resort and spent the day relaxing by the pool and on the beach. However, we hated Progresso. Pushy vendors, excessive military presence, and we just did not feel safe at all.

So, I would pick your favorite just because I've heard great things about Grand Cayman as well which is why we are going there over Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the replies! I've been to both Key West and Cozumel. I know he'd really enjoy Key West, and Cozumel is on both itineraries.

That's good to know about Progreso, although I don't think those factors would sway his thinking--he just really wants to see Chichen Itza. That only makes me like it even less, lol!

We're giving it a couple days to think on it so I'll see what he's thinking when I see him tomorrow. I'm hoping he's a little more into my itinerary. If not, I'm willing to go on his...I'm just not 100% satisfied with it...but I don't want him to be disappointed either. Argh! This must be what marriage is like, huh? ;o)

Having been to all those ports several times - IMHO Grand Cayman trumps Progresso, hands down. Beautiful beaches, great shopping, the water is an amazing color of blue. I love Key West, too - so much to do. I love Cozumel, and have had great times in Progresso, too, but for a honeymoon I'd pick GC any day!

We're giving it a couple days to think on it so I'll see what he's thinking when I see him tomorrow. I'm hoping he's a little more into my itinerary. If not, I'm willing to go on his...I'm just not 100% satisfied with it...but I don't want him to be disappointed either. Argh! This must be what marriage is like, huh? ;o)

I wouldn't know because my husband and I usually agree on where we want to go. :p The longer the itinerary the better, and we always like to go to new places...unless there is a cruise to Half Moon Cay and then we always choose that one.

Happy wife, happy life. Best to learn sooner than later. ;)

Haha! He's such a great guy and I'm so, so happy with him and how we work together. I just feel like since this is so important to him, I should be the one bending here. But I obviously have a differing opinion of which cruise is better!

Sorry to your fiancé, but the Breeze cruise is SO MUCH BETTER!

It's a longer cruise and the itinerary is far superior.

Key West is fabulous, and Grand Cayman has some of the best activities anywhere.

There are Mayan ruin excursions you can book for Cozumel to Coba, Tulum or San Gervasio.

Having been to all those ports several times - IMHO Grand Cayman trumps Progresso, hands down. Beautiful beaches, great shopping, the water is an amazing color of blue. I love Key West, too - so much to do. I love Cozumel, and have had great times in Progresso, too, but for a honeymoon I'd pick GC any day!

Excellent advice, thanks! Unfortunately, that makes me like my itinerary even more. I'll share this info with him...I just don't want to be pushing him away from something that's important to him.

Go on the Breeze and if he really wants to see ruins, take the tour to Tulum when you go o Cozumel. Book it through Carnival though because it take ALL day and you don't want to miss the ship! This seems like a good compromise to me, both of you get something that you want.

Tulum is beautiful.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just off the Breeze this past February and highly recommend it. The year before we took a Carnival excursion to Coba ruins on the mainland and really enjoyed that. I have not been to Chichen Itza but I have heard that it is not as accessible as it has been in the past. At Coba we were able to climb the largest structure as well as many of the others...... From what I have heard, this is not an option at Chichen Itza. Here is a message board comparison of these two as well as Tulum

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k4544717-Mayan_ruins_Tulum_Coba_or_Chichen_Itza-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

A Longer cruise is a better cruise....if he wants to do Chichen Itza do a trip that allows you to actually see it- not on a cruise ship even. It is on my bucket list too but that itinerary is not going to give you enough time to enjoy it. Tulum is a great substitute and will allow you enough time to enjoy it.

You can do one now and then book the next for your anniversary as a compromise.

Take two cruises back to back one being the Triumph 5 day and the other being the Magic 7 days with a stop at Grand Cayman. Since is your honeymoon as well, I wouldn't compromise on destination. You will be saving with flights if you do it this way. I would go on Triumph first and then the magic that way you'll be upgrading to a newer ship.

There's hotels within walking distance, just in case you have to stay overnight in Galveston for the next ship to arrive.

Either way, the important thing is that you'll be together no matter your final decision.

Sent from my Le Pan S using Forums mobile app

New Orleans also have similar itineraries as Galveston and you may also get the option to do a back to back with a stop at grand cayman. New Orleans is usually cheaper that Galveston for same dates. I don't know about flights since Houston has Hobby Airport that is usually cheaper with Southwest, Airtran, Delta, and Spirit Airlines.

Check flights and do a price comparison between Galveston and New Orleans.

Sent from my Le Pan S using Forums mobile app

Hello Carnival cruisers!

I need some opinions. My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon cruise for next summer. After looking at lots of options we are between:

My favorite: 6 day Breeze from Miami to Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel.

His favorite: 5 day Triumph from Galveston to Progreso and Cozumel.

I'm partial to my favorite because it's a longer itinerary, I love Key West and I'd love to check out Grand Cayman. Plus I love the idea that it's on the Breeze. He's partial to his favorite because one of his lifelong dreams is to go to Chichen Itza and we can get there by going to Progreso. I just feel like his itinerary is so...meh.

I want to love his pick. I really do. But I just like mine so much more! Plus I feel like it's a longer, more interesting itinerary on a nicer ship from a more convenient port--something a little more special for a honeymoon. Can anyone help give me a pep talk about Progreso and his itinerary? In general, he's better at compromising than I am and since he's dying to go to Progreso I feel like I should compromise with this one since, when it comes down to it, I really would enjoy any cruise, especially with him.

Any opinions about either itinerary to help me shift my thinking? Or any tidbits of info to add to my pro/con list to share with the fiance?

I personally would pick 6 day Breeze because:

• Longer
  • New ship with more bells and whistles
  • Better itinerary if your fiancé wants to see some ruins do it from Cozumel...have him think of it as a preview to when you go to Chichen Itza at a later date, maybe from a land vacation when you can spend more time there. You will have many anniversaries to get to your bucket list vacation places...this is coming from someone celebrating 25 years next month and still visiting new places on my bucket list with a long list yet to go :D.
  • As a previous poster noted there is a lot of military presence in Progresso. We did not feel safe from the moment we stepped off the ship and saw armed soldiers with machine guns. Needless to say we were not off the ship long there.
  • Grand Cayman has beautiful beaches and stingray city if you are into that.
  • Key West is a great place to get off, do a little shopping and then get back on and enjoy an empty ship.

Archived