RCA - Rhapsody of the Seas

IngFam

Hi there,

Looking at booking a trip with the family early next year and tossing up between Carnival and Rhapsody. Could some previous passengers of both of these ships tell me which would be better for kids (ages varying from 8 to 18). My 18 year old had travelled on Carnival a couple of months ago but she obviously didn't check out any of the kids facilities and spent most of her time at the bars.:)

I got a quote from a TA and was surprised that they also give you a separate price that you have to pay for gratuities. Having previously been on P&O and Princess was quite shocked at this hidden extra. I'd much rather give it to my own room steward or waiter.

Look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Hi there,

Looking at booking a trip with the family early next year and tossing up between Carnival and Rhapsody. Could some previous passengers of both of these ships tell me which would be better for kids (ages varying from 8 to 18). My 18 year old had travelled on Carnival a couple of months ago but she obviously didn't check out any of the kids facilities and spent most of her time at the bars.:)

I got a quote from a TA and was surprised that they also give you a separate price that you have to pay for gratuities. Having previously been on P&O and Princess was quite shocked at this hidden extra. I'd much rather give it to my own room steward or waiter.

not having been on Carnival i cant say much about it but you dont have to pay the gratuities and the currency is in AUD where as the Rhapsody is in US and they expect you to pay the gratuities which you can remove if you wish....we have been on the Rhapsody and its a very nice ship

both lines are having sales ATM but Carnival is offering OBC up to $500 and half price deposits, i dont think you will be dissapointed with either ship

Just remember if you wish to have your gratuities removed on RCI you MUST book Traditional Dining in which case your gratuities will not be paid at the time of final payment. They will be added to your Onboard Account so you will then need go to Guest Services and have the tips removed. If you choose My Time Dining your gratuities will be paid at the time of final payment and you cannot remove them.

Cheers

Di

Hi there,

Hello there! I've only sailed on Royal Caribbean so far so know nothing about the Carnival ship though a work-mate went to NZ on her and really enjoyed it.

We have been on Rhapsody and really loved it! It's a nicely appointed ship with a happy crew and great entertainment. Yes, Royal Caribbean do add a daily surcharge for gratuities to your account unless, like us you choose My Time Dining for which you must pre-pay your tips. We prefer to do it this way and in fact prefer to pre-pay whatever we can before we depart.

There are lots of reviews here on Cruise Critic for both ships so if you do a search using each name here above, you'll end up with lots of different reveiws.

All the best in your choice! Gae

We've been told that RCI have the best child and teens programs....we, ourselves have no need of these so can't say from experience. But we have seen kids lined up at the doors of their areas waiting to get in - that shows that they were enjoying the activities and couldn't wait to for the doors to open....

hi ,

i have sailed on both and enjoyed them very much.Rhapsody is a great ship and so is Carnival Spirit.I heard so many negative reviews about Spirit so decided to try it myself.....I am glad i did we had a fabulous time.There will be a lot of children onboard especially in school holidays( apprx 1100 )

but kids do not bother me ...they are just having fun.The good thing with Carnival its all AUD onboard whereas RCI its USD onboard and our dollar is a little weak at the moment.The food entertainment and accomodation on both ships was good.the only thing with I could fault was that the drinks are a bit dearer on Carnival....Which ever ship you pick you will not be disappointed.

Col:)

I've cruised on Rhapsody 11 times, and 2 more booked. My favorite ship.:p Not interested in the bigger ships, bigger is not necessarily better.

I tried Carnival Spirit and regretted it. I would prefer P&O Australia any day.

My big kids never use Kid's clubs, we prefer to holiday together, as a family. So can't advise.

Aussie Frequent Floaters

Thanks for your comments. We've booked Rhapsody. Very excited. With the tipping we've booked the traditional dining and had gratuities removed but if we also remove it from the desk when we're on board do the staff know this and give you different treatment? I personally would prefer to tip our individual room stewards and waiters as we've done on previous ships but we don't want to be treated differently by the staff. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions in time.

Thanks for your comments. We've booked Rhapsody. Very excited. With the tipping we've booked the traditional dining and had gratuities removed but if we also remove it from the desk when we're on board do the staff know this and give you different treatment? I personally would prefer to tip our individual room stewards and waiters as we've done on previous ships but we don't want to be treated differently by the staff. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions in time.

Sorry, I always pre-pay so don't know the answer to this. Perhaps you could join your Roll Call and ask the question there?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=270

Otherwise, there's LOTS of tipping threads here on Cruise Critic so if you type your question in the search box here on top you may find your answer.

IngFam, When you wrote "we've booked the traditional dining and had gratuities removed" I guess you are saying you didn't prepay your T&G's, rather than removed them - prepaying is 'elect-in' unless you choose MTD.

It is my understanding that your attendent & wait-staff do know who has pre-paid. We have always pre-paid and received nothing but excellent service, so I'm not sure we could get better service by not pre-paying.

If you visit GS and have the auto daily paid T&G's removed than I expect that your service staff will know that. The concept from RC was that you could remove the daily T&G charge if you didn't receive the service you expected, but of course some have elected to remove and pay in cash or otherwise. Your preference to tip in person is perfectly fine and I don't think you should worry that you will receive different service levels depending on how you tip.

Happy cruising. Enjoy Rhapsody - the best little ship on the ocean :D

the real clincher for this if you have kids is the green thunder. When I went on the 3 day sampler cruise Syd to Melb on the Carnival Spirit the kids on the ship absolutely LOVED the green thunder slide and the smaller one. Most on here saying the Rhapsody are looking at it from adults eyes but trust me the kids would go for the water slides

Archived