Viking River Cruise - Budapest to Amsterdam - Lock Strike & Poor Customer Service

81mg

We are just returning from a Viking cruise (Budapest to Amsterdam) during which we had both strikes and high water to potentially deal with. I say POTENTIALLY because neither happened. The strike did occur, but by the time we got to the locks, they had ended it. Could Viking have known they would have ended it then? (It was due to last longer.)No. Same with the water...it was getting higher, yes, but if the rain ended, it would rapidly recede. They cannot know ahead enough to warn passengers, nor can passengers make last minute decisions based on "there MIGHT be a strike", or there "Might be high water." None of that can be foreseen. We were lucky...but we knew the risks. Viking let us know the problems that might occur and that they were making alternate arrangements. It all worked out. Now, if they could have changed the weather, that would have been nice...mostly rain on this cruise.

Viking has done a great job on this cruise...staff is outstanding, ship is wonderful.

Jan,

We would love to cruise with travelers like the two of you. Positive attitudes, flexible and you havent even whined about the constant rain.

hoping our Budapest to Amsterdam trip is as delightful next September...thanks for taking the time to share

• 1 month later...

I said that I would post with the results from our Viking River Cruise nightmare. Viking did make us a fair and reasonable offer and we have indeed booked another Viking River Cruise for next year. Thank you to Viking for their quick response.

• 7 months later...

My wife and I suffered similar problems with Viking River of Gold on the Douro this year... I just wondered if you could let me have Mr Ouendag's email, or where I might find it.

To.Paz

My wife and I suffered similar problems with Viking River of Gold on the Douro this year... I just wondered if you could let me have Mr Ouendag's email, or where I might find it.

To.Paz

Dear to.paz,

We would be happy to help put you in touch with our Customer Relations team. Please email directly us at tellus@vikingcruises.com.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises