Why Ban e-Cigarettes?

Paul65

Orville was just arguing that it is counter-productive for the manufacturers to make them look so much like a real cigarette. He was making the same point as you, namely that it is "NOT a duck." But the more it looks and quacks like a duck, the more misunderstanding there will be.

I read this and thought. Hmm. . . What could they possibly design that would look "fine"? Short of a toothpick I can't think of anything.

Well maybe a sucker!

I read this and thought. Hmm. . . What could they possibly design that would look "fine"? Short of a toothpick I can't think of anything.

Well maybe a sucker!

I don't think they necessarily need to mimic the appearance of anything else. But some manufacturers do try to mimic the look of a cigarette.

I don't think they necessarily need to mimic the appearance of anything else. But some manufacturers do try to mimic the look of a cigarette.

Mine actually look more like a mini Maglite than anything. I've seen ones shaped like screwdrivers, Mont Blanc pens, Pez dispensers, even asthma inhalers. Shape is irrelevant to function.

After all of this suddenly I am getting bombarded with e-mails and phone calls from a new Royal vacation planner to tell me about different sailing. I firmly but calmly explained to her not to call me or e-mail me again until the e-cig policy was changed. She acted shocked and said she knew nothing about the smoking/e-cig policy update. :confused:

Mine looks like a box. The last thing I want is one that looks like a cigarette.

Different strokes for different folks. I picked the brand I got because it looks exactly like a cigarette.

I didn't want to walk around with a box, mag lite, fountain pen or whatever.

Its been a month and so far so good :)

Different strokes for different folks. I picked the brand I got because it looks exactly like a cigarette.

I didn't want to walk around with a box, mag lite, fountain pen or whatever.

Its been a month and so far so good :)

The difference is when I walk around carrying my flashlight, no one pays any attention. When you walk around carrying your cigarette, everyone reacts. I started with the cigarette style three years ago, and while they worked fine, I quickly got tired of having to defend myself and explain what it was.:) To paraphrase an old commercial, it was easier to switch than fight.;)

This is a contentious topic but the one indisputable fact is that from Jan 1 2014 you will not be able to use any smoking device in area that have been banned unless you are willing to risk being taken of the ship at the next port ,

There is Likely to be fines incurred as well so if you wish to go right ahead but don't say you weren't warned .

Wrong Karl.. I will continue to use my e-sig in my room, on my balcony, and other places as appropriate. I will not go sit with other people smoking cigarettes when that's the habit I am trying to break. Kinda like a "druggie" gets out of rehab and returns to run with his same group of "druggie" friends. Guess what happens a high percentage of the time?

My vapors are odorless, and anyone on a balcony wont know what I am "vaping"

The whole potential fire hazard concerns me. I have a cousin who posted pics of a friend's vehicle that had sustained fire damage because she had left her e-cig charging in the vehicle and it caught fire. I cringe at the thought that the same thing could happen on a cruise ship, especially where someone has left it unaccompanied in their room!

The whole potential fire hazard concerns me. I have a cousin who posted pics of a friend's vehicle that had sustained fire damage because she had left her e-cig charging in the vehicle and it caught fire. I cringe at the thought that the same thing could happen on a cruise ship, especially where someone has left it unaccompanied in their room!

He probably was using the wrong charger. Every story I've seen on e-cigarette fires have been someone charging them in a car with the wrong charger. I don't see them banning e-cigarettes all together.

Did you know hairdryers, curling irons, straighteners, and any appliance that heats can cause a fire if plugged in even if turned off? A friend's house caught on fire because her daughter left her hair dryer plugged in. If we're going to worry about fires we have a lot of items to address.

This is the exact same battery in a smartphone, or tablet. It can happen just as easily with one of those devices, and it has many times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is the exact same battery in a smartphone, or tablet. It can happen just as easily with one of those devices, and it has many times

Well...That's sort of true, at best. Cell phone batteries used by the major phone manufacturers (Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc) go through quite a bit of safety testing before they are rolled out in phones. That doesn't make them fool-proof, but serious battery issues are not very common, especially considering that almost everyone has a cell phone these days.

I suppose it's possible that every cigarette manufacturer does the same level of safety testing as an Apple or Samsung, but I doubt it.

Well...That's sort of true, at best. Cell phone batteries used by the major phone manufacturers (Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc) go through quite a bit of safety testing before they are rolled out in phones. That doesn't make them fool-proof, but serious battery issues are not very common, especially considering that almost everyone has a cell phone these days.

I suppose it's possible that every cigarette manufacturer does the same level of safety testing as an Apple or Samsung, but I doubt it.

Lipo battery fires are pretty common actually. I have seen several firsthand. If you would like some images, please take a look.

https://www.google.com/search?q=phone+battery+fire&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=O01bUt6jPNes4APZ0ICYCw

Most of the batteries in the vaporizers are made by Panasonic btw.

Well, I guess if you can find a few pictures with a Google search, it must be very common. I still don't believe you, though, unless you maybe have some statistics on how common it is. Pretty much everyone I know owns a cell phone, and I have never heard of any of them having problems with a battery, other than it not keeping as good a charge any more, after years of use.

I'm not denying that these fires happen. But statistically, are they really common? Maybe. But your Google search for pictures only came up with a handful that actually looked like they could have been an actually battery fire.

What is your source, btw, of the information that "most of the batteries in the vaporizers are made by Panasonic"?

Well, I guess if you can find a few pictures with a Google search, it must be very common. I still don't believe you, though, unless you maybe have some statistics on how common it is. Pretty much everyone I know owns a cell phone, and I have never heard of any of them having problems with a battery, other than it not keeping as good a charge any more, after years of use.

I'm not denying that these fires happen. But statistically, are they really common? Maybe. But your Google search for pictures only came up with a handful that actually looked like they could have been an actually battery fire.

What is your source, btw, of the information that "most of the batteries in the vaporizers are made by Panasonic"?

The fires are enough of a concern that strict regulations have been made for them being placed on planes

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/lithium-battery-change.aspx

UPS regulations

http://www.ups.com/media/news/en/intl_lithium_battery_regulations.pdf

Dreamliner battery fire

http://cen.acs.org/articles/91/i6/Assessing-Safety-Lithium-Ion-Batteries.html

Article regarding the NTSB stance

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/03/ntsb-too-risky-for-lithium-batteries-to-fly-as-cargo-on-commercial-planes/

This article is a fun read.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-21/battery-fire-crashes-seen-every-other-year.html

As for the manufacturer of the batteries, I have opened 15 or more for modding purposes and have never seen anything but Panasonic batteries. Even the cheap knock offs had them. YMMV.

I just take enough batteries to last for the length of the cruise. I've never had to charge my ecig on board. Problem solved:)

Here is a quote from an article that you can find on google.

Since 2011, the Consumer Product Safety Commission has documented over 60 incidents of phone batteries smoking, catching fire, expanding or exploding, including one occurrence of a battery exploding in a Texas man's ear,

And these are just the ones documented. I have seen a few laptops that have caught on fire after they had a battery problem and charging. It happens.

That was sort of my point. Sixty incidents is pretty small, considering there are something like 300 million cell phones in use in the US. And that number includes batteries that just exhibited some smoking or swelling. I'm not saying it's not an issue, but some people are making broad statements that:

1. It happens all the time.

2. e-cigarettes are no different than cell phones in fire risk.

The first is an exaggeration; the second is just an assumption. It might be true that e-cigs are no more prone to these kind of battery issues than cell phones (though if it really happens as often as some people want to claim with cell phones, then it's a pretty big concern).

As do most people. That does not mean it is safe.

That doesn't mean it's unsafe, either. But if you want to be frightened of cell phones and e-cigarettes, I will stop trying to dissuade you. :cool:

I have never had a E-cig battery explode. I have also never had a cell phone or laptop battery explode, but I did have a cell phone battery swell almost to exploding once while charging. I always use the correct battery for the devise and the correct charger for all my batteries. ALL documented cases of e-cig batteries exploding are due to incorrect battery use or incorrect charger use. Most people don't take the time to find that 2 e-cig batteries purchased from 2 different manufactures need the charger that came with it and may not be interchangeable (even if they look alike) or that the nifty big e-cig you bought at a flea market can't be used with Walmart batteries. In this age of electronics we need more education about batteries for all devises.

I have never had a E-cig battery explode. I have also never had a cell phone or laptop battery explode, but I did have a cell phone battery swell almost to exploding once while charging. I always use the correct battery for the devise and the correct charger for all my batteries. ALL documented cases of e-cig batteries exploding are due to incorrect battery use or incorrect charger use. Most people don't take the time to find that 2 e-cig batteries purchased from 2 different manufactures need the charger that came with it and may not be interchangeable (even if they look alike) or that the nifty big e-cig you bought at a flea market can't be used with Walmart batteries. In this age of electronics we need more education about batteries for all devises.

That seems like an unlikely statement (both in it's truth and in the fact that I doubt you have research every documented case of an e-cig battery exploding). But you're right that people should be careful about using the correct charger.

In some cases it's not that obvious, though. For instance, many rechargeable electronics these days use a USB cord, and the sole purpose in having that USB connection for charging is the versatility to plug it into a computer or other USB connection. So, if it is only meant to be plugged into the accompanying electrical plug, that's a poor design to use a standard, universal cord like that.

Archived