Scooter questions for Vatican and Rome

sue.young

Hi everyone,

I am needing help with tours in Rome. I use a heavy duty scooter to get around as well as oxygen. I have contacted a tour agency for a tour of the Collussem and a tour of the Vatican, including the Sistine chapel and St. Peter's.

I was under the impression I could do these tours with my scooter. However I have been told by the tour company that I will be transfred to a wheele chair at the Vatican tour. As the lifts can not easily accommodate scooters. Any one know if this is correct? Does the same apply to the Collusseum?

Also do they have wheelchairs at the Vatican that can accommodate a large size person? Starting to think I may not be able to do these tours.

Has anyone had this experience with heavy duty scooters at either site?

Also has anyone ever done one of the golf cart tours?

Thanks for your help.

Sue

You should contact the Vatican directly regarding the matter of your heavy scooter and or having larger wheelchairs. You will find the email contact address in this link http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi.html

Having been there before becoming disabled really can't say for certain but it would stand to reason that the elevators may not accommodate the size/weight of a heavy duty scooter as all the elevators have been retrofitted due to space restrictions because of the historic nature of the Vatican. The elevators may be the one person one wheel chair type which generally cannot accommodate a scooter.

In general the following review may help you more than the one previously mentioned by another poster http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/accessible/rome/vatican.htm

The other problem is that the elevators aren't in the best working order, and many times are out of service. Of the three times I visited, the elevator to the Sistine Chapel did not work. As far as St Peters, there is a ramp that accommodate a scooter, but good luck finding someone to unlock the gate.

I've not seen that the Vatican supplies wheelchairs.

In May we did a tour of Rome including the places you wish to visit. Our tour was through Princess which is no longer available for next year. I used my Travelscoot all over without problems. The Colosseum is all one level unless you wish to go to the upper level by the elevator. Which is on the opposite side from the entrance. There are spots that you do have to detour in order to see some areas but you can get there just like a non-handicap.

The Vatican, the St. Peters Basilica is reachable via ramps and elevators. You can't go to the very top in the dome though you can get to an upper level. The Sistine Chapel is another matter. You must enter the museum and use the elevator to the 3rd floor. Most tours use a different floor as the 3rd floor is the only one with a lift that travels up and down the stair to and from the Sistine Chapel (when you go down the stairs you travel a long narrow corridor to the chapel itself. People using scooters cannot go from the Sistine Chapel to the basilica because you have to travel a flight of stair. So you have to retrace you path back to the lift then up to the 3rd floor museum then retrace your path to the elevator back out the entrance, around the wall to the front of the basilica. Forgot to mention the entrance to the basilica (for scooter folks) is on the far right hand under the columns.

It sounds like the company you contacted doesn't have transportation for scooters and the places you mention are all w/c or scooter accessible. In fact next year we will spend a day in Rome and plan to use the HOHO bus sytem as they claim they support scooters.

In May we did a tour of Rome including the places you wish to visit. Our tour was through Princess which is no longer available for next year. I used my Travelscoot all over without problems. The Colosseum is all one level unless you wish to go to the upper level by the elevator. Which is on the opposite side from the entrance. There are spots that you do have to detour in order to see some areas but you can get there just like a non-handicap.

The Vatican, the St. Peters Basilica is reachable via ramps and elevators. You can't go to the very top in the dome though you can get to an upper level. The Sistine Chapel is another matter. You must enter the museum and use the elevator to the 3rd floor. Most tours use a different floor as the 3rd floor is the only one with a lift that travels up and down the stair to and from the Sistine Chapel (when you go down the stairs you travel a long narrow corridor to the chapel itself. People using scooters cannot go from the Sistine Chapel to the basilica because you have to travel a flight of stair. So you have to retrace you path back to the lift then up to the 3rd floor museum then retrace your path to the elevator back out the entrance, around the wall to the front of the basilica. Forgot to mention the entrance to the basilica (for scooter folks) is on the far right hand under the columns.

It sounds like the company you contacted doesn't have transportation for scooters and the places you mention are all w/c or scooter accessible. In fact next year we will spend a day in Rome and plan to use the HOHO bus sytem as they claim they support scooters.

Your information will certainly be helpful to the OP. However the OP has already stated she has a heavy duty scooter which is considerably much larger and probably weighs at least 150 lbs or greater versus a Travelscoot which is compact and only weighs about 40 lbs. The issue that still is a concern for the OP is if due to the size and weight of the scooter will it be allowed to go on the elevators. That's why it's important for the OP to contact the Vatican directly for the answer to her question.

Your information will certainly be helpful to the OP. However the OP has already stated she has a heavy duty scooter which is considerably much larger and probably weighs at least 150 lbs or greater versus a Travelscoot which is compact and only weighs about 40 lbs. The issue that still is a concern for the OP is if due to the size and weight of the scooter will it be allowed to go on the elevators. That's why it's important for the OP to contact the Vatican directly for the answer to her question.

In January 2013 I did a cruise with a heavy duty scooter in the Caribbean. I beleive it was a Pride (don't remember the model #). I can tell you that this 4 wheel scooter would have fitted into the elevator at the museum and gone up and down the stair lift to Sistine Chapel. BTW the elevator would be only large enough for the scooter no other passengers. But I agree he/she should always contact the place (in this case the Vatican) for the best information.

Thanks to everyone, I contacted the Vatican per Blue Ribbon cruiser and this was the response.

Good morning,

the elevator for the Sistine Chapel is :

Maximum weight : 507.6 lb

Size 41.37 inch x 27.58 inch

or

Peso massimo : 230 kg.

Misura 1.05 m.x 70 cm.

In case you will need our wheelchairs you will find it in the checkroom at the main entrance.

The service is free of charge, but they are not large size.

Best regards

Luciano Gagliano

Manager

Office for Public Relations and Services

Vatican Museums

Tel.+39/06.69883860

Fax+39/06.69885100

e-mail accoglienza.musei@scv.va

So looks like the scooter will fit, just have to hope the elevators are working!

I will post the outcome when I return.

Sue

Archived