Anyone have an opinion on renting an alcove on Reflection?

StevenStephen

Howdy! I'm going on my first (Celebrity Reflection) cruise this November...counting the seconds! I really want to taste a little of everything, meet everyone, and just enjoy the luxury of a cruise to it's fullest. I don't live a very luxurious life...so this really is a thrill.

One thing that I've got in my head is renting an alcove for a sea day. (We'll be leaving the ship each port day.) Somehow that just sounds wonderful. It's, I'm sure, a ploy just to get us to spend more money on food and drinks...but, this is the time to splurge, right? I certainly don't do things like this at home in Boston!

After asking some folks in the Roll Call forum...I've gotten the idea that it's really not all that and a bag of chips. In fact, I've heard that they're pretty much empty. That doesn't sound like fun.

Have any of you rented an alcove? Thougths?

Thanks so much!

Steven

We rented an Alcove with another couple on the Silhouette ( they hold 4). And it was fun! They were all booked but for someone walking by it might not seem like that as people come and go - we didnt sit there all day (its yours from 9 to 9!) but the best is having a place with really comfortable seating to come back to.and not worrying about chair hogs. You will have an assigned waiter to bring drinks and you are close to the buffet for snacks. You will enjoy:)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We rented an alcove on our Carib cruise last April. It was a part sea-day, part port day (we got to San Juan about 3 p.m.). We liked it a lot, we would have liked it even more if we could have had the canopy raised. Without it, it was very sunny and warm. I have heard that it depends on the wind as to whether you can use the canopy on a sea day. Since this is such a crap-shot, we probably will not rent again. If you can have the canopy raised, I think it is totally worth it! BTW - it appeared that the alcoves were fully booked for most all of our 7-day cruise.

We had one on our cruise in April and enjoyed it. I took my reader and relaxed, they provided an iPad for music and it was heaven. We left for awhile to swim mid day, then returned and picked up the phone to have a bucket of beer delivered, grabbed a couple of plates of burgers and fries for lunch. They delivered a fruit and cheese plate later. We watched a bocci match and cheered on the players. We were in the background of the video too.

The only thing I would change is to have the canopy up. I was able to find shade most of the day by moving around, it was just too windy on our day, but there were some days of the cruise that it was nearly calm up there.

We loved our day in the Reflection alcove in March. It was a lovely sea day, not too windy so we had the awing over us ( not worth it to me without that shade), if you can't have the awning, just cancel and save the money.

The alcove allowed us to come and go knowing we had a shady, guaranteed spot, with great service. We watched the bocci games and other activities on the lawn, had lunch there. Loved the cheese and fruit plate in the afternoon.

Have a great cruise. We really enjoyed the Reflection.

You can probably book the Alcove now. We are sailing Feb. 22 and I called a month ago and booked our Alcove for the whole week for our Reflection cruise. I believe you have to call to book. We had one for the 2 sea days last Feb on Silhouette and it was a nice gathering place for our group and we didn't have to worry about the "chair hogs".

We reserved alcoves on two sea days - we had two alcoves on one day and were only able to get one on the second day - they were wonderful! We were able to have the canopy open or closed with no issues. As others have said - really nice to have your own "spot" to come and go as you please. Loved the view for the crew/guest bocce tournament.

We did have some issues with the person assigned to taking care of the cabanas - they were also at the Lawn Club Grill (which was not open but apparently takes all afternoon to set up for dinner ;) ). When you pick up the phone in the cabana it rings directly to a staff person that has a phone on them - we saw him look at the phone, grimace and then ignore the call (this was our first time to use the phone). When he finally came over he said we didn't use the phone right and he didn't know we needed him...sigh. Oh, well. In the grand scheme of things it was more annoying that truly an inconvenience - we just got up and went to the Sunset Bar - our fav waiter would swing by and make sure we were ok :)

All in all - totally worth it - hope you are able to get one! :) Have a great trip!!

save us all from looking it up. How much is a day and /or part day? Gratuities expected for the server you are assigned? Thx....

I know that a Port day costs $99.00 and a Sea day costs $149.00...this is supposed to allow you to rent the space for twelve hours (9 to 9), along with a steward, a cheese/fruit plate and I think four bottles of water.

If you ask, the steward will go to any of the restaurants to grab something for you or something like a picnic basket...although you pay for these things. (I don't know how much as the cost of the alcove already makes me hesitate...I don't make a lot of money...so I'm certainly not going to go and order an expensive picnic basket.) I'm sure that you're expected to tip for services given.

You've all painted such a good picture of these alcoves...I'm still struggling with spending this much money. My partner is actually paying for this cruise...my working in an optical shop doesn't really afford me things like the Reflection! Instead, I might just give him the $150.00 to pay something towards this cruise...otherwise I'm afraid I'd feel like a heel for sitting there in an alcove while he paid for the trip!

Gosh, I didn't think this thread would lead me to such thinking! :eek:Wowsers. I really wanted that alcove...but, I know the better thing to do. Hhmm. Thanks guys. I feel better!

Archived