Monarch of the Seas/Ensenada Questions

4 day cruise coming up Sept. 5th of this year. Been to Ensenada a few years ago and shared a taxi to La Bufadora (Kind of Scary taxi ride). What are other transportaion alternatives? Costs? Where do you get trans from? Is it better to stay in town and shop (Deals)? What is best place for tequila shots and margaritas? Thank you for any and all help and suggestions.

Hi Iceman111:

You can take a tour to the Bufadora - long ride, once was enough for me. Depending on your desires for the kind of bar, there is Husongs - older. Papa and Bears across the street, loud and fun. There are also several restaurants on the main road, that are very nice, tables, umbrellas that all have good drinks, and also good food. Ensenada has some deals - but it is not what I would call a shopping mecca. It has changed through the years and is much more tourist friendly - brick sidewalks, flowers, benches, and it is cleaner. At least in the main tourest area. I was just on the 6/10 sailing, so let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

We booked a winery tour several years ago . It was a short bus ride in some beautiful mexican coutryside. We did some wine tasting. The Mexican wine is not very good. However we were able to buy some very good Tequila while on our tour. We booked the tour as a ship excursion. Sue

We stayed on board on our last Monarch cruise, having been to Ensenada several times before. It was wonderful to have the ship practically to ourselves!

There are some shops right on the pier, but I haven't found their prices/merchandise to be compelling. The Coach bags were counterfeits, and the alcohol prices were generally higher than in Los Angeles.

There are shuttle busses to and from town for $2, but it is an easy walk. If you take the shuttle bus, it drops you off downtown, and from there you can book a tour to La Bufadora for about $13, and I think it includes lunch. We were there in March of this year.

We are headed out on the Monarch on Aug 29th. We have 10 in our family, 6 have never cruised before. Our times in Ensenada have always been either boarding the Legend for Hawaii or back, so have spent no time exploring the area. My DW is thinking that maybe we should just stay aboard. Any suggestions of options outside of the cruise tours would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

It is very easy to walk to the shopping area. We did that first thing in the morning and were back to the ship in less than 2 hours. DDs ended up finding the souvenirs they wanted at the terminal building!

Archived