swimming pools and noro virus

Watson's aunt

hi

I am having a problem with my computer. If you type swimming pools and Noro virius there a article that claims that it will live in the pools . I don't know have to copy it here My program will not let me do it. Its a new program and does not let me copy. I hope to go back to old windows system

Mary

A more revealing subtitle would have been "Illness due to failure of Chlorination Equipment". When that happens, any number of illnesses, some much worse than noro, can survive in pool water, and infections are possible. This situation can happen anywhere. I wouldn't say it can survive in treated pool water. It can survive in untreated pool water.

By the way, I have also responded to situations where chlorination systems have over saturated the pool water with chlorine, resulting in serious, but short term illness.

Actually, the article was reassuring to me as it found that the pool where the infection occured was not chlorinated properly and that the norovirus was not resistant to chlorine. So, in order to catch norovirus from a pool you need:

1) someone with an active norovirus infection (i.e. diarrhea) who decides to swim anyway.

2) the water washes some active virus from their "behind" where they didn't wipe well enough (though maybe it would not be possible to clean that area well enough without soap and water) or from their hands where they didn't wash well enough.

3) the pool maintenance people fell down on the job and let the chlorine levels drop too low.

Hopefully, HAL cruisers and staff won't let that happen

Frank, M.D. and former pool owner

Hi

I have to be very careful I do wash my hands and do not touch the railings ot elevator button. Because of a low resistant and health problem I am parinoid about getting sick and if I do get sick I will probably have me checking into a ER I am very careful. Since I am going to Panama Canal I was hoping to go swimming But there is no way I will take a chance.

Mary

Archived