Too far south for puffins?

Armchairtravelwoman

Are you going to Sitka??? There is an accessable puffin rookery that is about the only option on the Inside Passage cruise ports. I have gone independent there a few times. BUT by mid-Sept they are gone, so you would have to traveling early Sept. It is possible to perhaps see them going into Glacier Bay, REQUIRING parking your self out on a front deck for a considerable amount of time with a good pair of wide angle binoculars.

I have also gone out of Jonesport Me. superior as you access the island and stand amoung them in blinds, only a few feet away. If out that way, consider this trip.

http://www.machiassealisland.com/

Tufted puffins are common in SE Alaska, but horned puffins are much rarer. Puffins are very difficult to see from a cruise ship. They hang out in the water near the burrows, but you might catch one flying around. Glacier Bay is not a good place to see puffins from a cruise ship. They hang around S. Marble Island, Gloomy Knob, and Margerie Glacier, but are close to the cliffs. In August and September they are further afield, since the chicks have fledged, and you might see some flying around in Icy Straights or the inside passage. Your best bet is to get out on a small boat tour of some kind and ask specifically about puffins.

Archived