What clothes to wear on shore excursions?

Seas_Please

My wife and I are taking the Riveria for a 7 day cruise in mid October from Rome to Venice. We're stopping at Sorrento, Almafi Coast, Sicily, Greece, and Croatia. What is the best type of clothing to wear on the shore excursions for that time of year? We plan to do some walking but nothing too strenuous. No hiking or mountain climbing. Mostly sight seeing.

Thank you

We are on the same cruise and I have been looking at average temps for the area as we will begin the packing process shortly. Temps will average 60s day and 40-50 in the evenings.

We have been to Italy quite a few times in October and have had wildly different weather on the same trip, to the same places. One October in Florence it was in the 40s for several days of our stay, very unseasonal. Then it went back to normal averages.

We always pack layers and for this trip, a couple pair of capris for me for warmer days and jeans for cooler days will be in the suitcase. DH likes to wear microfiber slacks (golf brands mostly) as they are good for a range of temps, pack well and do not wrinkle.

I will pack one pair of walking sandals and two pair of comfortable walking shoes for daytime so I have options.

Check the 10 day forecast for a few of the cities you will be visiting before you leave.

Have a plan ready.

If the forecast shows 50's and rain, good chance you will need "cooler" weather gear.

If the forecast shows unusually warm 70's, then throw in some warmer weather items.

Layers.... a cardigan over a long-sleeved tee, or a cardigan over a short sleeve tee. Long pants vs capris.

But having your general clothing picked out well in advance, and then tailoring it to what the forecast is right before I leave has always worked well.

I just posted a reply that included daytime touring wear under your other question. But, I forgot to mention really comfy walking shoes!! We did a four-hour walking tour of Rome one day and a 3-hour walking tour of Venice on another. I was VERY happy to have my new Ecco walking shoes!!

Which ones? There is a birthday in my house coming up. :cool:

why not give her a gift card or cash

Everyone's feet are different

My sister & I both have the same pr of Clarks...I hate mine they are so uncomfortable but my sister loves hers

Cash is king;)

Lyn

Definitely bring layers. For a similar trip I brought: 2 sleeveless dresses, 2 sweaters, 1 polar fleece jacket, 2 pairs of pants, 4 tops with various length sleeves, 1 skirt, gloves, raincoat and umbrella and flat non-slip water repellant walking shoes - I brought both a fully closed pair and a pair of sandals and wore both types. We experienced everything from 80F temperatures to 40F with rain - very slippery on cobblestones in the rain. A pair of silk longjohns can go a long way towards providing warmth without bulk in case of unseasonable cold. Some of the days were incredibly hot, though and we were very glad to have cool clothes for those days.

My Ecco shoes are Vibration II Toggle. Everyone is different, but I put these on and never had a problem at all!

I love my Vibration Toggles and they are going with me in 4 weeks.

<Since it will be in October, I don't imagine sandals will be a good choice. > I will definitely be packing walking sandals as the south of Italy could well be warm as we had 80 degree temps in late October during our last trip to Rome.

<zWhat kind of shoes do men and women wear on board while we're in route or dressed very casual before dinner?> For me, these will be my same walking shoes/sandals. Our cruise is port intensive and I suspect there will be little time between returning from port and dressing for cocktails and dinner. Generally, I hang out on the ship in a nice pair of black yoga type pants and a casual shirt, with flats.

Archived