Have you visited a "sister city" port for your hometown?

OlsSalt

Wondering if others have had the opportunity to visit a "sister city" of your own home town if you participate in this program. How was it?

Kotor, Montenegro is a sister city and we have made contact with the local organization. They are offering to take us on free walking tour of the city and pay a visit to a culinary academy, that sends their students to our local college culinary program; and vice versa.

We are naturally jumping at the chance to have this level of a very local activity. Wondering how other's "sister city" visits have worked for them.

What would be a sister city for Honolulu?

Here is a wiki link that tells more about the sister city or "twin city" program. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_towns_and_sister_cities

Various cities choose to do this, don't know if Honolulu has a program or not. It is probably a mutual tourism activity. Not really sure how it got started in our town but we have many around the world now .... including Kotor. :)

According to Wikipedia, Boston, supposedly, has 8 sister cities plus three 'relationship' cities.

They list them as:

partnership relationships.

Melbourne, Australia (1985)

Hangzhou, China (1982)

Strasbourg, France (1960)

Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghana (2001)

Haifa, Israel (1989)[2]

Padua, Italy (1983)

Kyoto, Japan (1959)

Barcelona, Spain (1980)

Valladolid, Spain (2007)[3]

Taipei, Taiwan (1996)

Brasilia, Brazil (2013)

Boston,UK

Welikely won't be visiting any (aside from Padua which we have been to) and if we were , I don't think I'd seek a walk around. We would be much more likely to plan our own day for touring 'our way'.

Wondering if others have had the opportunity to visit a "sister city" of your own home town if you participate in this program. How was it?

Kotor, Montenegro is a sister city and we have made contact with the local organization. They are offering to take us on free walking tour of the city and pay a visit to a culinary academy, that sends their students to our local college culinary program; and vice versa.

We are naturally jumping at the chance to have this level of a very local activity. Wondering how other's "sister city" visits have worked for them.

What is your city that is sister to Kotor?

According to Wikipedia, Boston, supposedly, has 8 sister cities plus three 'relationship' cities.

They list them as:

partnership relationships.

Melbourne, Australia (1985)

Hangzhou, China (1982)

Strasbourg, France (1960)

Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghana (2001)

Haifa, Israel (1989)[2]

Padua, Italy (1983)

Kyoto, Japan (1959)

Barcelona, Spain (1980)

Valladolid, Spain (2007)[3]

Taipei, Taiwan (1996)

Brasilia, Brazil (2013)

Boston,UK

Welikely won't be visiting any (aside from Padua which we have been to) and if we were , I don't think I'd seek a walk around. We would be much more likely to plan our own day for touring 'our way'.

You don't suppose all these people in these cities are Red Sox fans do you? *LOL* :)

The way the RED HOT RED SOX are playing right now, they all wish they were a part of Red Sox Nation. Three games out of four so far over the dreaded Yankees. Life is good!!! :) Life will be Wonderful if we sweep NYY today.

Now it is Terrirfic Tom Brady's turn to dazzle Boston. We're tough fans! :)

Go Sox!!

The way the RED HOT RED SOX are playing right now, they all wish they were a part of Red Sox Nation. Three games out of four so far over the dreaded Yankees. Life is good!!! :) Life will be Wonderful if we sweep NYY today.

Now it is Terrirfic Tom Brady's turn to dazzle Boston. We're tough fans! :)

Go Sox!!

:( I just asked if they were fans ......you didn't have to wound me with the obvious *LOL*

:( I just asked if they were fans ......you didn't have to wound me with the obvious *LOL*

Aw, come on....... Red Sox were picked to finish dead last in our division this season. We're in love with those 'winners'. :D You have to know I wouldn't/coudn't resist. :)

But, you asked a great question. Wonder if our 'sister cities' (a) know they are our sister cities and if so (b) know what great sports city we are? If we were to be contacted to give a sister city resident a private tour, I'd drag 'em off to Fenway Park and Gillette Stadium. :D Then I'd get 'em a lobster at Legals.

Anyone want to add their city to the list and become a 'sister' to Boston? :D

Aw, come on....... Red Sox were picked to finish dead last in our division this season. We're in love with those 'winners'. :D You have to know I wouldn't/coudn't resist. :)

But, you asked a great question. Wonder if our 'sister cities' (a) know they are our sister cities and if so (b) know what great sports city we are? If we were to be contacted to give a sister city resident a private tour, I'd drag 'em off to Fenway Park and Gillette Stadium. :D Then I'd get 'em a lobster at Legals.

Anyone want to add their city to the list and become a 'sister' to Boston? :D

Oh I know you couldn't resist *LOL*

Hmmmmmmm for a Lobster at Legals , even I would even venture into "THAT" place you mentioned , the one with that Monster thing *LOL* :)

I wonder if the people in those cities even know Boston is their sister city.

I mean did you know that they were your "sisters" until you just looked them up.

Not sure if they are my hometowns sister cities , but Stratford Connecticut is of course named for Stratford on Avon England and has a very rich heritage with Shakespeare (along with Stratford Ontario.)

We have a beautiful Shakespeare Theater here on beautiful grounds, which sadly do not get used as much as they used to.

Oh I know you couldn't resist *LOL*

Hmmmmmmm for a Lobster at Legals , even I would even venture into "THAT" place you mentioned , the one with that Monster thing *LOL* :)

I wonder if the people in those cities even know Boston is their sister city.

I mean did you know that they were your "sisters" until you just looked them up.

Not sure if they are my hometowns sister cities , but Stratford Connecticut is of course named for Stratford on Avon England and has a very rich heritage with Shakespeare (along with Stratford Ontario.)

We have a beautiful Shakespeare Theater here on beautiful grounds, which sadly do not get used as much as they used to.

Oh, you mean the GREEN MONSTER? Is that the Green thing? :D

You're right; I did have to look up if Boston had any sister cities and if so, where?

We actually were in Statford on Avon and loved our day there. Wonderful tour and lovely place to visit.

Interesting concept..... visit 'sister cities' around the world.

I wonder how many would book one cruise over another because one stopped at such a city?

Been to the following L.A. sister cities:

Auckland, NZ

Athens, Greece

Berlin, Germany

Giza, Egypt

St. Petersburg, Russia

Salvador, Brazil

Split, Croatia

Vancouver, Canada

Only 17 to go although one of them is Tehran, Iran:eek:

Oh yeah, Go Dodger Blue! 1st place NL West 11 games in front:)

Oh, you mean the GREEN MONSTER? Is that the Green thing? :D

You're right; I did have to look up if Boston had any sister cities and if so, where?

We actually were in Statford on Avon and loved our day there. Wonderful tour and lovely place to visit.

Interesting concept..... visit 'sister cities' around the world.

I wonder how many would book one cruise over another because one stopped at such a city?

That would be one heck of a world cruise if you went to all your sister cities. *LOL* But I bet it would be interesting :)

Well I live in a small town now so I had to go back to my "roots" and look up the sister cities for Montreal. Now there are some nice cities there and I am looking forward to visiting them. Thanks for letting me know that I should looking into the twinning program! Here are the ones I have yet to visit:

23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png Busan, South Korea (2000)

23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Hiroshima, Japan (1998)

23px-Flag_of_the_Philippines.svg.png Manila, Philippines (2005)

23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Milan, Italy (1996)

23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png Shanghai, China (1985)

Here are our sister cities:

Toba, Japan (1966)

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (1972)

Weihai, China (1993)

Dingle, Ireland (2003)

Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Cuzco, Peru

Yalta, Ukraine

San Juan Phillipines (2000)

Kotor, Montenegro (2009)

Patras, Greece (2010)

Many of them honor connections with various local ethnic groups.

Here are our sister cities:

Toba, Japan (1966)

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (1972)

Weihai, China (1993)

Dingle, Ireland (2003)

Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Cuzco, Peru

Yalta, Ukraine

San Juan Phillipines (2000)

Kotor, Montenegro (2009)

Patras, Greece (2010)

Many of them honor connections with various local ethnic groups.

Dingle, Ireland? Great stuff:)

Archived