JS vs. D1 on RCI?

BoatGirl

We are ready to book for Mar. 2006 on the Voyager, and are trying to decide between a D1 on the stern and a JS on the side. We have sailed in 1690 on the Mariner and loved it! But we would like to try a JS. The problem is, there are no JS's available on the stern or on a hump. We have 4 in our room and would welcome the extra space, but should I give up the aft view that we love so much for just an average JS room? Anybody have any experience with both of these? Any input would be appreciated!

We always take a JS or GS and always on the side. The view is great because you can see both where you are going and where you have been. We do not like the aft view but many do. I think you will be very happy with a JS on either of the ship.

Mdeane: Thanks for your input. It turns out a JS opened up on the stern, even though it is on deck 7. I think we're gonna try that one. I know we won't be disappointed with a JS.

We are one of those families who loves the stern. To me, there is nothing more calming than watching the wake of the ship. I just love thew view!

I understand the JS does not receive all amenities that other suites receive. Is it true that what you receive is a larger room, priority embarkation and debarkation and priority tender passes if needed. We are thinking of booking a cruise on Radiance and can't decide between a D1 and a JS. A considerable difference in price. Any input would be appreciated.

We always had priority embarkation for a JS. You don't get priority disembarkation or priority tendering, though. Whether it's worth the money depends on your finances (duh) how many of you there will be in one cabin, and how much time you think you'll spend there. I think the D-1s on RCI a quite a bit nicer than the equivalent category on Princess - you get a sitting area with a sofa, although on the Radiance class, the bed is by the sliding door to the balcony. In the JS, the sitting area is larger, with a comfy chair & ottoman, and the bed is away from the slider.

With the JS, you get a walk-in closet that's big enough to use as a dressing room, keeping you out of each other's way. The bathroom is larger, but it's still built for one, IMHO.

We love the JS and always book one if we can. Having said that, however, we are eyeing a Northern Europe on the Jewel, and the price difference is about $1000 per person between the D-1 and JS:eek: . Unless we hit the lottery (in which case we'll book the Royal Suite), I don't think we can justify that difference on such a port-intensive itinerary. For $1000 total, we probably would.

Archived