6 ships in port (ouch!) What to do?

sendtodb

Only have two stops on this abbreviated cruise, so REALLY want to get off the ship. The problem is that there will be 5 or 6 ships in port, so I know it will be crazy.

The other problem is that we will be the last ship in port. One ship is in @ 7am, 3-4 others in at 8am, and we are in at 9am. Our time is currently listed as 9-4:30.

I've done some searches here, and found that IF you are going to attempt it, you probably want to get back to the tender area NLT 2pm or so (in order to miss the gridlock downtown, and the crazy tender lines).

Since we are in late, I'm wondering if we should get OFF the ship LATE, and get BACK to the ship EARLY. Maybe off @ 10:30 or 11:00, and back by 2:00 or 2:30?!?

First of all, does this sound like it would work? Especially interested in hearing from those who were in port on heavy days, and from those who may've been in similar situations.

Second question, given our abbreviated time on in port (10:30 - 2:30 max, but maybe as little as 11-2), what are our options? Thinking all extended excursions are out. Don't really care about shopping all that much. Would LOVE a nice beach, so we can relax in the sun, and get a bit to eat (and a beverage or two!)

Suggestions? Warnings?

Thanks!

Wow! That is a lot of people.

I have not been on CI with no more then two ships. We are going in October and I have been doing some research on beaches to just hang out at relax & drink. Everything has come back to the Royal Palms on SMB. It is 5 minutes from Port. Only $2.50 pp for bus ride or $5-$6 pp for a cab. I have heard the cab drivers can be pushy because they want you to go further down the beach. They usually get incentives from these places further down.

It cost $2.00 pp for admission to use the facilities. The have a bar/restaurant. Shower and restrooms. Adults only swimming pool! You can rent chairs and umbrella's for $5.00 each I believe.

Several people on CC have mentioned it. I also read the reviews on Trip Advisor website. Every seems to say it is a perfect day at the beach.

This is where DH and I are going when we go in Oct. It seems laid back, stress free & close to port!

www.royalpalmscayman.com

Hope this helps!

With any luck some of the other ships may leave early, but in the Caymans you never know. Last trip we were 30 minutes before last tender with 4 or 5 ships in port and we stood in line for an 1 1/2 hours. It was a madhouse. If I had to do it over, I would get off early, walk to Eden Rock, snorkel, eat and hit a couple of the shops nearby. Then head back to the ship around 2:30. Grand Cayman is my DW's favorite port but I could stay on the ship and be happy.

I must say that Rum Point is pretty nice though. The only problem is getting there. You either take a tour which usually includes a trip to Sting Ray City and/or a snorkel trip, or rent a car. Taxi's charge way too much for Rum Point.

Having seen SMB on a multi-ship day, I would personally avoid it. It's not a 'relaxing' place to me with that many people.

I'd get off as early as I could and would walk right from port to Smith Cove.

ImageUploadedByForums1378661701.280148.jpg.f20457b4625f6bb91a88d2bb1d4a5fea.jpg

This is by far our fave beach near the port. There are very few people that head there because it doesn't have the facilities most people are looking for. There is a washroom and that's it. Some tour buses may stop there for a look, but it has always been very quiet. It's about a mile walk. You can mosey down to My Bar @ Sunset House (which you will pass on the right on the way there) for lunch (SO GOOD) on the way back OR have lunch right next to Smith Cove at Grand Old House. Either location can call you a cab. Leave time, could take 15 minutes for the can to arrive. We always walk back to port. Be alert on the walk as its a narrow road.

We too have waited for almost 1.5 hours to board a tender. There were 5 or 6 ships in port that day. It was SUPER hot while we waited. No shade. Be sure you have some water while you wait.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Just got the FasterToTheFun add-on from Carnival, so we should be able to get off the ship fairly early.

Had looked at the Royal Palms, and that is definitely a leading candidate!

BUT, intrigued about Smith Cove, and the Sunset House looks like a GREAT place for lunch! Looked at Google Maps, but not sure of the location of the cove. Is it a couple hundred feet PAST the Grand Old House?

Dan

I have my two options, and will play it by ear. If I can get off early, I will grab a cab and go to the Royal Palms.

If busy, I will walk/cab it to Smith Cove, then hit Sunset house on the way back.

Either one, I will make sure I'm back at port NLT 2:30! :)

Thanks for the info, folks!

Archived