Yet another ?s on Guaranteed Cabins :)

I booked late August for a cruise on the Allure for 3 people in a guaranteed balcony. This week my Mom decided to join us and so I booked another balcony guarantee and joined her in the new reservation.

We got a D4 connecting cabin assigned on the 1st reservation on deck 6 that I moved to deck 9. Only connecting rooms were available. The connecting room is available and so I was wondering if we had a good chance to get assigned the connecting one for my 2nd reservation?

Also, I was wondering, if for example, we got assigned a D7 then could I request that the D4 be downgraded to a D7 and have us moved closer together?

Thanks in advance for your help :D

I'd say yes and yes, but I think you know the only accurate answer is, there's no guarantee, pun intended!

I agree with your rationale that you stand to get lucky with the 2nd balcony assignment to the cabin that connects with your existing balcony assignment, i.e., you have a linked reservation, that cabin is available AND there are only connecting cabins left on deck 9. When we booked our Aug 25 Allure voyage at the last minute, almost all the balc and JS cabins left on all decks were connecting. (That was a big UGH for us, as we weren't traveling with family or friends--but we got lucky with very quiet neighbors!) So I'm betting your chances of being in connected cabins are high (even if, yes, you had to ask them to make it work via downgrade).

Good luck! :) No matter what, you're sure to have fun--what a lovely group, and gosh, I think the Allure offers a fabulous cruise experience!

I booked late August for a cruise on the Allure for 3 people in a guaranteed balcony. This week my Mom decided to join us and so I booked another balcony guarantee and joined her in the new reservation.

We got a D4 connecting cabin assigned on the 1st reservation on deck 6 that I moved to deck 9. Only connecting rooms were available. The connecting room is available and so I was wondering if we had a good chance to get assigned the connecting one for my 2nd reservation?

Also, I was wondering, if for example, we got assigned a D7 then could I request that the D4 be downgraded to a D7 and have us moved closer together?

Thanks in advance for your help :D

You can only change cabins within the category. Even though it is a downgrade the D& probably still cost more than the guarantee and you would have to pay the difference.

If you are before final payment did you check the price difference in total by putting 2 people in each cabin instead of 3 in one and one in the other. It almost certainly would be cheaper doing 2 and 2 then you could sleep wherever once on board.

You can only change cabins within the category. Even though it is a downgrade the D& probably still cost more than the guarantee and you would have to pay the difference.

If you are before final payment did you check the price difference in total by putting 2 people in each cabin instead of 3 in one and one in the other. It almost certainly would be cheaper doing 2 and 2 then you could sleep wherever once on board.

Before final payment, I'd consider Ourusual's advice about pricing two in each cabin. It might be cheaper. it might even make it reasonable to book specific cabins rather than risking guarantees, so you could get and keep connecting cabins (one of which could sleep three if needed). But if is only nice, but not necessary that mom be close by, price out two of you in your assigned gty and two in mom's gty (awaiting assignment).

I believe the computer assigns guarantee cabins, and I do not think the computer will give you any special consideration because the reservations are linked. If you are lucky mom will be assigned a D4 soon so you switch it to the cabin beside yours. If you are not lucky, she will be not be assigned until just before sailing or she will be assigned a different category (with no way to swap cabins so you are nearby).

Thanks for the quick responses!

We are 2 & 2 as I was the 3rd one in the 1st cabin and I moved over to the new reservation to make 2 & 2.

I can only hope that we are lucky and they assign us a cabin sooner than later so that I can make the right moves if needed :D

I am taking a gamble I know...however I have never been known to be lucky :D Who knows..Maybe this time lady lucky will be with me

The OP said she "joined her in a new reservation", so I take that to mean that they now have two reservations for two people in each cabin....

If your new reservation gets assigned the same category, it's definitely possible to get moved to the adjoining cabin provided it's still available.

I haven't heard of many people being successful changing categories without paying the going rate, but it certainly never hurts to ask. :)

Thanks for the quick responses!

We are 2 & 2 as I was the 3rd one in the 1st cabin and I moved over to the new reservation to make 2 & 2.

I can only hope that we are lucky and they assign us a cabin sooner than later so that I can make the right moves if needed :D

I am taking a gamble I know...however I have never been known to be lucky :D Who knows..Maybe this time lady lucky will be with me

is this your March 2014 cruise? if so you have lots of time to watch your cabin options. You might even catch a price drop or two. Good luck.

is this your March 2014 cruise? if so you have lots of time to watch your cabin options. You might even catch a price drop or two. Good luck.

Yes it is our March cruise. Got my fingers crossed for price drops too but I will be happy just to get 2 cabins side by side !

:D

Yes it is our March cruise. Got my fingers crossed for price drops too but I will be happy just to get 2 cabins side by side !

:D

Do they have to be side by side? Or can you be happy even if the cabins are far apart? booking gty risks having cabins far apart.

If the price drops on the gty category and you decide to take advantage of the price drop, you will be thrown back into the gty pool. You likely will get a different cabin assignment than you have now. So you'll have a decision to make before you accept a price drop on a gty. if you are lucky, one of the regular categories will go on sale so you can select and book the connecting cabins you seem to desire.

Do they have to be side by side? Or can you be happy even if the cabins are far apart? booking gty risks having cabins far apart.

If the price drops on the gty category and you decide to take advantage of the price drop, you will be thrown back into the gty pool. You likely will get a different cabin assignment than you have now. So you'll have a decision to make before you accept a price drop on a gty. if you are lucky, one of the regular categories will go on sale so you can select and book the connecting cabins you seem to desire.

I would prefer if the cabins as close as possible as my husband's aunt is 87 years old and she is coming on the cruise with her granddaughter.. I know she would feel safer if my Mom & I were closer by.

I will see how things pan out and if it is not to my liking, I may bit the bullet and pay the difference for a set category or watch for a price drop for D categories...time will tell

My parents and I (2 cabins) had Oceanview Balcony guarantees (X) on Allure for our January sailing. We were both assigned to the same deck, same category about a week later. I do think there is some consideration with the linked reservation (even if by computer, they can write that into the program) to at least get you on the same deck, if possible. I have read many others who were assigned neighboring cabins or in very close proximity.

That said, you fortunately do have a lot of time to look for 2 rooms in the same category that each one is assigned. If nothing else, hopefully nearby on the same deck. Good Luck!

My parents and I (2 cabins) had Oceanview Balcony guarantees (X) on Allure for our January sailing. We were both assigned to the same deck, same category about a week later. I do think there is some consideration with the linked reservation (even if by computer, they can write that into the program) to at least get you on the same deck, if possible. I have read many others who were assigned neighboring cabins or in very close proximity.

That said, you fortunately do have a lot of time to look for 2 rooms in the same category that each one is assigned. If nothing else, hopefully nearby on the same deck. Good Luck!

I am going to keep an eye out on my reservation and as soon as the cabin is assigned then I will change it if need be it.

Archived