Travel Insurance with Credit Card

Cruzwthme

I booked a Carnival cruise with a Mastercard credit card. I've just read the "benefits" to this card and one of the benefits is "Travel Accident Insurance." It includes trip cancellation/interruption. Does anyone know if this is the same insurance I usually purchase separately known as "travel insurance?" Is this the same insurance the cruise lines are always trying to get us to purchase? And is it necessary for me to purchase travel insurance?

Thank you.

I booked a Carnival cruise with a Mastercard credit card. I've just read the "benefits" to this card and one of the benefits is "Travel Accident Insurance." It includes trip cancellation/interruption. Does anyone know if this is the same insurance I usually purchase separately known as "travel insurance?" Is this the same insurance the cruise lines are always trying to get us to purchase? And is it necessary for me to purchase travel insurance?

Thank you.

There are so many options that can be part of "travel insurance". Among them: trip cancellation, trip delay, baggage loss/damage/delay, medical (including dental), medical evacuation.

IMO, the most important (to us) is the medical part. Most US health plans do not cover you "out of country". And once you board the ship you are "out of country". Medical evacuation, especially can be quite costly.

I'd suggest that you contact MasterCard and confirm exactly what is covered in your case. And then decide if any of those things happened is it enough coverage.

Generally it's better (less cost, better coverage) to get travel insurance through a third party as opposed to the cruiseline.

We've used http://www.insuremytrip.com/ as well as https://www.squaremouth.com/ to purchase insurance. They are both insurance comparison sites that you enter your choices and they will show you a variety of plans for you to choose from.

Yes, I have used insuremytrip.com for just about every cruise I've ever been on. I will look more thoroughly at what you've suggested. I definitely want medical coverage in case one of us needs to be 'air-lifted' out, etc. and I think I'll give mastercard a call too. Thanks for the opinion. :)

My CC has:

"Trip Cancellation Reimbursement

If an unanticipated covered event keeps you from traveling, you can be reimbursed up to $1,500 for
non-refundable airfare
costs."

So for me, a cruise isn't covered. ($1500? That much? So generous. They haven't priced R/T airfare for two to Europe lately.)

As others have said, contact MasterCard for details for your card.

I have a 16 page pdf from my Mastercard provider about the range of benefits. The travel protection is better than nothing, but barely. In no way would I depend on this coverage for any cruise protection. This is not the "same insurance" as a comprehensive policy that covers full reimbursement for cruise cancellation, nonrefundable air, nonrefundable hotel, etc. The MC medical benefits focus on travel accident involving "loss of limb". Illness is specifically excluded.

OTOH, the trip insurance we purchase for every trip outside the US (whether cruise or other) includes PRIMARY medical -- for us, the most important aspect of coverage.

Is it necessary to purchase travel insurance? No. If you are willing to self insure for every possible trip associated loss (including the full cost of the cruise and air and possible helicopter evacuation from the ship to a hospital on shore), then no. However, if you do purchase trip insurance, it is wise to compare coverages, and make an informed decision about which coverage is right for YOU based on reading and studying the fine print of the various options.

Archived