Camping on your balcony

Noel182002

In 2009, DH and I went on a cruise aboard the Triumph from NYC to Canada. From the time we left NY harbor till our return it was solid fog, we never saw anything but fog. So we moved our couch cushions out onto our balcony and slept out there. We had complete privacy due to the fog and we loved it. It was our adventure. It was fun.

Kind of gross to think of mattresses and cushions on the balcony floor which has always been a bit dirty and full of salt.

Hate to sound all high and mighty, but I was going to post the exact same thing. I wouldn't sleep on a mattress/cushions/blankets that I knew had been on any floor outdoors at home. People should really think about others (i.e., the people who will be using this stuff right after you) before making these "judgment" calls. We all want to enjoy our crusie but you never know the sensitivities of the person(s) boarding behind you, or what might be crawling around on any floor or how well any outdoor floor really gets cleaned or with what type of chemicals. I hope those cruisers at least had the decency to tell their room stewards what they did so that those mattresses, blankets, and cushions had a fighting chance of getting cleaned properly for the next guests using that stuff.

Anyhoo, on our first cuse a few years back, hubby and I went out on the Lido late in the evening, laid out on some deck chairs, and just stared up at the stars it was so peaceful and we both fell asleep! Would love to do that again on our cove balcony in 31 days :p not sure how comfy we'd be in those chairs but I'm sure gonna try.

On our Dream cruise in 2012 we had a deck 6 wrap. We brought out the extra blankets ( not the white comforter) and shared a lounger and slept comfortably for most of the night. I got up and went inside at some point because I needed to stretch out. If my body were more cooperative then I would have stayed all night.

We also spent about half of one night on a Serenity hammock :) We stayed in our blanket tent for the soft rain, but then went inside when it poured. It was a fun night ! When we got up and took shelter on the couches under the overhang thing we interrupted a couple of teens getting cozy. We put our feet up and shared an MP3 player for a while and fell asleep again..... this time waking up to find another amorous couple down on the other end of the seating. It happened to be two men, which was maybe slightly more uncomfortable than the 2 teens. We then decided to head back to our room since the rain hadn't stopped.

Sailing is more fun when you add a bit of adventure :)

We tried camping a few years ago on the liberty, but we were unable to get the tent pegs into the metal on the balcony. When that didn't work, we tried to get the pop up camper on the ship, but it was a little too wide to get through the cabin door, let alone the hallway. Wow...what are people going to come up with next. Farting on the balcony, unbelievable. The nerve of some people. Lol. But really, I can't believe that someone would take their mattress out on the balcony. How gross are you people? Have a little class please.

Every cruise we have been on, we have seen people snoozing away on deck, usually on the first night and we chalk that up to long drives to port, a little alcohol and they are sleeping like a baby. Nobody seems to bother them. My daughter did the same thing on her first cruise. Settled in to watch MUTS and fell asleep halfway through it, woke up in the same spot the next morning. Never thought about sleeping on my own balcony, can't fit a lounge chair on it and my body does not handle sleeping on the ground that well.

This coming cruise will be the first one I take that's not in January, but even in January, I will spend one night on my balcony sleeping. I suffer SEVERE hot flashes, so I pack a microfleece blanket and throw it on the floor of the balcony, grab a pillow, and I'm out like a light!!! LOVE the sounds of the ocean while I sleep, and the smell and the rocking puts me down for the count!! Have thought about maybe going up to the sun deck and sleeping some nights, but it's too high to hear the ocean...

Is this a joke? Would someone go to a motel and sleep outside?

Definitely not a joke. People enjoy doing things they can't do except on vacation. Camping on the balcony has great appeal to me, but I'm physically unable to do so. I have, however, napped many times while reading on the balcony. It's a very relaxing place to be. In fact, our room steward helped make a bed for our nephew when he wanted to sleep on the balcony. I slipped him $40 since it was a major deal and he had damp linens the next morning. The salt spray someone reaches you, even up on deck 7.

I love sleeping on the balcony. On my most recent cruise, I slept on the lounger six out of the seven nights. Pure heaven. Love the sounds of the waves. I didn't sleep outside one night because someone a deck or two down was playing music on their balcony. I liked the music they were playing, but I sleep out there because I love the sound of the waves, and the music was distracting. My bf told me I was out there farting in my sleep and snoring, so I guess I should not complain about someone's music. If you were my neighbor on that cruise, I do apologize.

I tried to sleep out there listening to my music...but someone kept farting and snoring so I had to go back inside!:D:D

I don't think it is a good idea to camp on the balcony...from what I understand the cruise ship company gets really upset when you have a campfire out there on the balcony and make smores :eek: :rolleyes:.

Campfires are against the rules, and S'mores tend to attract sea bears (and once they've come aboard, they're tough to get rid of).:eek: :rolleyes:

Archived