How much can I trust HA?

wags

I don't consider the baggage coverage significant. It isn't that much coverage and most of us would have it covered by other source such as homeowners/renters insurance.

I DO consider evacuation coverage significant and your point is well taken in that regard.

I have a habit of dismissing it as we have that coverage from another source so don't consider it value to US as part of the HAL policies. I will be more careful in the future to point out about the evacuation coverage.

The medical is woefully too low. Anyone who risks for $10,000 to be adequate is taking a big chance IMO

The healthiest person can have a bad accident/injury.

<snip> The medical is woefully too low. Anyone who risks for $10,000 to be adequate is taking a big chance IMO. The healthiest person can have a bad accident/injury.

Sail is so right about this! I posted about this on another thread a few weeks ago. I was recently in the hospital 47 hours. The hospital bill was $48,000. That was not the ambulance charges or doctors charges. $10,000 is very risky.

As often as insurance is discussed on these boards, the unavoidable conclusion is that no alternative is perfect.

HAL's medical and evacuation coverages are too low.

Private insurers often have sweeping exclusions for preexisting conditions, which HAL does not.

I resolve the issue by wanting to rely on HAL's port agents for helping with emergency arrangements, rather than having to make an overseas call to some claims drone who may know nothing about local conditions.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I booked the pre-cruise hotel with HAL and they suggested the Westin but I could have asked for a different one. Any suggestions?

You are right, AlbertaQuilter. I think I would like to be taken care of ,too. Your suggestion about using the airport cart is very helpful. I am older than your Mom and although I can get around fairly well why overdo it. Being transported through the airport with my carry-on bags sounds like a good idea. You take good care of your Mom.

I'm glad you found that helpful. Just a word of caution about the assistance - it doesn't always work quite the way it is supposed to.

In Rome, earlier this year, we had to wait for one hour for the wheelchair to show up at the check-in area. Mom ended up sitting on another airline's baggage conveyer belt (of course it wasn't operating at the time) while we waited and waited. It wasn't the airline's fault, that service (in Rome) is provided by the airport. Then we went to the lounge which was up an escalator. Like you, Mom can get around fairly well on a day to day basis, so she just got out of the chair and went up the escalator. It was getting back down that became a bit of an issue. They came to get us with the wheelchair; there was a chairlift on the stairs (no escalator on the way down). Well, after trying to get the chairlift to work, they finally gave up and mom walked down the stairs (going up stairs is worse for her), got back in the chair and off we went.

So, there can be a lot of waiting but most of the time, it does work well. They are waiting for you when you get off the plane, whisk you to your next gate, and then you typically get to pre-board. You can decline the wheelchair, if you want, when you get to your first airport. We have done that where we want to poke around in the shops before sitting for several hours on the plane.

Do let yourself be taken care of. It sounds like you deserve it! I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Archived