May be it just the cruises I have been on but on my last few the numbers

of folks dressing up for formal night has been very high, to the point

do not recall more than a few that did not make some form of effort to

follow the dress code, as for the ones that did, would have put the

number as high as 75% in tux etc with the other 25% in suites or jacket

and tie, on my Norway cruise we saw a number of gents in jacket and tie

ever night.

yours Shogun

I'm going to ask this question again. When is the last time, and on which ship, did you see a MD turn away a guest for not wearing a jacket?

I'm interested too in which ship and when anyone was turned away for wearing a dress shirt and tie with NO jacket.

We've been on LOTS of Princess cruises and cruising with Princess for a VERY long time. We've never seen this happen ... even back in the "good ole days".

LuLu

~~~~

I do not wear a tie period. I did use to take a blazer along to wear maybe 15 minutes total and decided it was a waste of baggage space. So of the four cruise line I have been on, I have never had a problem.

Shogun you are talking about sailing in Europe which has a different clientele than here in the colonies. We tend to dress a lot more informal which would explain the difference. The Caribbean and Alaska are particularly dress down cruises.

I am with you Pia. We hear about all these stories but the best I have seen is one from a friend who heard from a friend .....etc. I do not spend my time watching the door of the MDR or even scanning the pax sitting in the MDR while eating.

We travel far too much to be overly concerned about formal attire. You can throw stones at me, but we prefer to be more casual; yes, even on formal nights. So, DH has his black and white attire and I have my black pants with what I consider a semi-dressy top.

We have placed in the top three MTP quite a few times and we still look very nice in our photo with the Captain and the Host/Hostess. Even w/o DH wearing a jacket. /quote]

I think the key is you "portray" the look of formal even if you aren't. You respect without actually doing it. For me, I have to admit I bring the formal gowns but my husband wears a dark suit with the cummerbund stuff.

OK - funny story. My DGS was 4 and he brought his "wedding suit". He wore it the first formal night, including his "gloves". When it came to the second formal night he said he already been married and didn't want to wear it again LOL.

My husband has gone from wearing a tux to a suit to a blazer on formal night. I often see men with dress shirt and tie--sometimes no tie--on those nights.

I know it's more practical, but darn it I love a man in a tux! Besides packing space, for him it's mostly that he can't find a pair of dress shoes that are comfortable.

Tell him to try wearing 3"+ high heels :D and then see if he's comfortable.

From my observations, some itineraries are more casual than others, like coastals, Alaska, and many 7 day cruises. The longer cruises tend to be more formal. I've seen mostly tuxes, suits, gowns and cocktail dresses...oh, and a few pants outfits, on most of our Princess cruises.

DH and I enjoy formal nights. That's one of the reasons we sail on ships that are more formal. DH always brings his tux AND his white dinner jacket, and I always bring gowns. It's fun to dress formally once in a while. So many other cruise lines are becoming more casual, but it's nice to have the formal traditions on Princess.

I'm going to disagree the other posters on this thread' date=' take it for what you will. 90%+ of the men I have observed on formal night are either in tuxes or suits. I also haven't observed many guys taking off their jackets and running around in shirt sleeves.[/quote']

This is my experience as well. I very rarely see any gentlemen without a jacket in the dining room on formal night. This is an observation, not an opinion.

I wear a dark suit - sometimes with the vest as well. We're doing a 4-night to Vancouver and taking the train back as there are no viable cruises to return us home. Due to the train ride we're minimizing luggage and will likely not take the clothing we would normally wear for formal night. I'm guessing we'll skip the formal night in the dining room for this reason.

I wear a dark suit - sometimes with the vest as well. We're doing a 4-night to Vancouver and taking the train back as there are no viable cruises to return us home. Due to the train ride we're minimizing luggage and will likely not take the clothing we would normally wear for formal night. I'm guessing we'll skip the formal night in the dining room for this reason.

The shirt/tie/dress slacks combo works well. On our last cruise, DH went this route after bringing a suit or renting a tux. He was comfortable with his decision and blended in just fine.

Archived