Another "bumped out of chosen cabin" story - would this make you cancel?

As a travel agent I must clarify:

Every "block" of cabins I have worked with have been by category, not actual cabin numbers.

So if I reserve 5 D1 cabins, I can put a passenger in ANY open D1 cabin that they want. I don't have to choose from 5 set cabins, etc....

I guess some TA's do it differently and actually buy the cabins but I wouldn't do that because it's not MY decision which cabin YOU want.

So true

I recently switched my cheap solo booking on the Independence TA to the Liberty TA - almost the same price and, for me, worked out better arriving in Barcelona rather than Southampton (also, liked having 3 foreign ports instead of 3 Caribbean islands). An online TA (maybe the same on you had problems with?) still shows, as of this writing, Inside and Balcony at 25% solo supplement. Might be worth checking into? (Or, perhaps you have already seen this May 1 sailing and decided it does not suit you.)

I think you should keep the cruise, you got 3 things that are important to you, the ship, the iten., and a great price.

I have booked cruises where I could not get the 1st choice cabin we wanted, but because it was the ship, iten, and price we still booked

No supplement is a deal you can't pass up(I also sail solo) - not worth losing for the sake of a cabin number. Bet it won't matter once you are aboard.

So just to update the saga ... I've cancelled my booking.

To top it off, I realized that not only had I "lost" my chosen cabin, I'd also "lost" my cheap deal (no single supplment) and my "new" booking was at a much higher price (100% single supplement) - so double the price - yeah, that's not going to happen!

TA is saying my "actual booking" was not confirmed until month later than I had attempted to make the first booking and have no record of what the price was at the time of the first attempted booking. They say it was not confirmed at that time as RCCL had to exchange the currency (CDN to US) of the next cruise certificate - which apparently in RCCL land takes 4 weeks! I had a long argument with RCL about that back in September. TA is saying it was RCL's responsibility and RCL is saying it was TA's responsibility - which leaves me with no cruise!

Really, really annoyed at both parties. I actually started laughing when the TA said to let them know if there was another cruise they could help with me with - like I would use them again after this mess! Really wish, we could name names on this forum, as this is the 2nd TA to claim that they don't keep a record of the prices listed on their website at any particular time, and the 2nd TA to suddenly have no record of a good (solo traveller) deal that was listed on their website - all very fishy.

So to whomever snags a starboard balcony on deck 8 today for the IOS on May 4 - please enjoy!

Oh well, back to searching for a deal - perhaps I'll take a look at the westbound transatlantic crossings in the Fall...

westcoasttech: I have some fascinating information about this situation.