Inexpensive things to do in Cabo & Puerto Vallarta?

izmeeh

Hello,

I read about taking the city bus in Puerto Vallarta to go to the boardwalk and walk around that area. I like the idea since I don't want to spend too much on the trip, and I don't plan on doing things like ziplining, parasailing, dolphin encountering and things of that sort.

I'm okay spending a couple of hours on the beach, but since we have 2 days in Cabo, what are some inexpensive things to do there? There are 2 of us and we aren't drinkers.

Thank you.

Edited by izmeeh

As you mentioned, in PV you can just walk out of the port and catch a bus (look for "Centro" on the windshield) for about 50 cents (in Pesos). My suggestion is to simply walk through the downtown "Centro" area along the Malecon and then you go over the pedestrian bridge into the southside (also called Old Town, Viejo Vallarta, Romantic Zone or Zona Romantica). Once you are in the old town area you will quickly come to the Sea Monkey (its the first bar with chairs set-up on the beach). The Sea Monkey sells Corona and Pacifico as well as Margaritas for only $1. Snacks are also pretty reasonable. And you can sit at their tables right on the beach for no other cost other then a drink. It is possible to enjoy your day for less then $10.

You might also enjoy exploring the shops on the island in the middle of the river (you will see the steps down to the island as you cross the bridge to the southside) and there is also an adjacent flea market and plenty of other shops (browsing is always free).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks, Hank. I've been reading a lot of your posts. Very informative. Do you have suggestions for Cabo?

Nope. Have only been to Cabo twice and they were just port days. We consider PV our 2nd home and have now spent over a year in that city....which pales by comparison to some of our friends who still consider us the newbies :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

For Cabo, consider the Museo de las Californias that I mention in this previous thread.

gary

I agree with this. They only ask for a donation. It is the history of the area from prehistoric to modern times. Most signs are in English and Spanish. Just down the street is the church.

After here, we usually walk around window shop.

In PV, we walk around the Malecon and the flea market on the island in the River Cuale, people watch and look at the sand sculpture. We also go to the WalMart and Soriana next to the port to find items we can't get at home. We usually eat at the restaurant (Restaurant El Malecon) across from McDonalds on the Malecon. They have seating on the beach.

Edited by Rosefloater

You can watch the dolphin encounter in Cabo for free, anyways, it used to be free. Someone on a thread said something recently about a nominal fee, but he never came back to confirm.

The dolphin encounter is a short, easy walk from the tender pier.

You also might consider a tour of the arch in a water taxi and they will drop you on Medano Beach at the end if you like. The restaurants on Medano Beach will let you use their loungers, chairs and tables as long as you are purchasing, you can purchase sodas and snacks.

Another consideration is leaving Cabo and going to San Jose Del Cabo. A 35 minute ride from Cabo. Charming old town with lots of art galleries, shops, restaurants etc. I know the ships offer a tour but not sure how much.

Another consideration is leaving Cabo and going to San Jose Del Cabo. A 35 minute ride from Cabo. Charming old town with lots of art galleries, shops, restaurants etc. I know the ships offer a tour but not sure how much.

Hey Wendy!

The ship tour stays for only about 1 hour in San Jose. Not enough time to really see anything but the church and some stores around the plaza. The ship tour also goes to the glass factory, Cactus Museum and a restaruant with good views of the bay. The tour spends WAY too much time at the restaurant.

You can watch the dolphin encounter in Cabo for free, anyways, it used to be free. Someone on a thread said something recently about a nominal fee, but he never came back to confirm.

The dolphin encounter is a short, easy walk from the tender pier.

You also might consider a tour of the arch in a water taxi and they will drop you on Medano Beach at the end if you like. The restaurants on Medano Beach will let you use their loungers, chairs and tables as long as you are purchasing, you can purchase sodas and snacks.

The Dolphin encounter does have a charge to view...can't remember for certain, (as we accompanied our four kids that paid for the encounter, and therefore we were allowed to watch for free)...but it seems to me that it was over $10pp otherwise.

Your advice of taking a boat ride out to Lover's Beach, the Arch, the Sea Lions, and Divorce Beach, is spot on, in my opinion! You will be given food for the fish, and they will climb right up into your hand to be fed! Catch one of the boats at the pier (and there will be lots of them) take the tour, and have them drop you off at Medano Beach, where you can spend the afternoon playing/swimming in the ocean, and enjoy cheap and great food and beverages at the many restaurants along the beach (Tabascos is our favorite, as it is a bit more "laid back" than some of the others. This will be the best $12pp (or less, depending upon your bargaining skills) that you can spend in Cabo in my opinion. The trip back via water taxi to the docks will cost you $2pp, or you can catch a land taxi at one of the cantinas at Medano, and expect to pay $6-10US for up to 6. We like the land taxi back, as you will get to see parts of Cabo that you would otherwise miss.

• 4 weeks later...
As you mentioned, in PV you can just walk out of the port and catch a bus (look for "Centro" on the windshield) for about 50 cents (in Pesos). My suggestion is to simply walk through the downtown "Centro" area along the Malecon and then you go over the pedestrian bridge into the southside (also called Old Town, Viejo Vallarta, Romantic Zone or Zona Romantica). Once you are in the old town area you will quickly come to the Sea Monkey (its the first bar with chairs set-up on the beach). The Sea Monkey sells Corona and Pacifico as well as Margaritas for only $1. Snacks are also pretty reasonable. And you can sit at their tables right on the beach for no other cost other then a drink. It is possible to enjoy your day for less then $10.

You might also enjoy exploring the shops on the island in the middle of the river (you will see the steps down to the island as you cross the bridge to the southside) and there is also an adjacent flea market and plenty of other shops (browsing is always free).

Hank

Hank,

A few years ago, we went to Puerto Vallarta for the first time, took a cab downtown and had lunch at a restaurant recommended on this board. I've forgotten the name of it but it was 2-3 blocks from the ocean and they made the best guacamole right at the table, a good selection of local beer and other food selections that were good. Since you spend some time there each year, perhaps you've eaten in this restaurant, or one as good and would be willing to share the name. We will be there next January and again, next September. Thank you so much.

Hello,

I read about taking the city bus in Puerto Vallarta to go to the boardwalk and walk around that area. I like the idea since I don't want to spend too much on the trip, and I don't plan on doing things like ziplining, parasailing, dolphin encountering and things of that sort.

I'm okay spending a couple of hours on the beach, but since we have 2 days in Cabo, what are some inexpensive things to do there? There are 2 of us and we aren't drinkers.

Thank you.

Hello,

Thank you.

Hey Wendy!

The ship tour stays for only about 1 hour in San Jose. Not enough time to really see anything but the church and some stores around the plaza. The ship tour also goes to the glass factory, Cactus Museum and a restaruant with good views of the bay. The tour spends WAY too much time at the restaurant.

You can take a city bus to San Jose del Cabo for about $4-5 per person. We did that and then hired a cab back to the ship for $25. You can usually find another couple willing to share the cost. This way you can spend a lot of time there. Thats what we did on our last cruise to Cabo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hank

Thank you for your information on Sea Monkey. Loved it!!! We sat on the beach for lunch and beer. Good guacamole, but the best part was the fish tacos!!! Granted, I had never tried any prior to Sea Monkey, but they were so delicious!!! So delicious!!! Tried to get the same great flavor in Cabo and here at home, but nothing compares. :( Four beers, chips & guac and two plates of fish tacos for $27 with tip.

• 2 weeks later...

In Cabo you can take a glass bottom boat tour out to Land's End for around $10 each (that may have gone up and depends on how well you bargain). You can then be dropped at Honeymoon Beach and get picked up later--be sure to note which boat you came on.

Hello,

Thank you.

We did a walking food tour of PV through Vallarta Eats. It was fantastic!! We hit 10 or 11 different places and were served a variety of absolutely yummy authentic offerings. I highly recommend it. It's also the #1 tour on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for your information on Sea Monkey. Loved it!!! We sat on the beach for lunch and beer. Good guacamole, but the best part was the fish tacos!!! Granted, I had never tried any prior to Sea Monkey, but they were so delicious!!! So delicious!!! Tried to get the same great flavor in Cabo and here at home, but nothing compares. :( Four beers, chips & guac and two plates of fish tacos for $27 with tip.

YW. We were just in PV last week and actually practiced what we preach. In fact, we took our entire dinner table (6 folks who had never been in PV) with us and gave them a tour similar to what we described in our previous post. When we got them to the Sea Monkey it was hard to get them to leave :). But it was a very hot day and we led them down the beach to another bar/restaurant on the other side of the pier where everyone had easy access to swimming in the Bay. Our tablemates could not believe that the Sea Monkey sold beer (Pacifico and Corona) for only $1 a bottle...not to mention their $1 Margaritas. The only sad part for me was that the owner (and friend) of the Sea Monkey (Troy) has returned to the states and left operations of his 2 bars/restaurants in the very capable hands of his employees.

Hank