Disembark in Los Angles

TWOFERTWO

It depends on the arrival time. Earliest disembarkation is usually about half an hour after arrival and that's for those doing self-disembarkation.

I wouldn't book a flight out of LAX earlier than Noon. LA highways are almost always bumper-to-bumper traffic, even on weekends, and if there's an accident (which there frequently is), fugedaboutit. :) Last weekend, I was on the 405, there was an accident, and it took me 45 minutes to go 3.5 miles. If you book an earlier flight, make sure you have a "Plan B." You might wind up waiting for your flight but that's better than sitting in gridlock and missing it.

It depends on the arrival time. Earliest disembarkation is usually about half an hour after arrival and that's for those doing self-disembarkation.

Thanks for you information. We are returning to Princess after serveral years sailing on other lines.........could you explain 'self-disembarkation.......that's a new one to me. :confused:

Thanks for you information. We are returning to Princess after serveral years sailing on other lines.........could you explain 'self-disembarkation.......that's a new one to me. :confused:

Self-disembarkation is when you carry off all your luggage and nothing is put out the night before. You must be capable of handling all your own luggage without any help from ship's staff or pier staff. If you can do this, you will be assigned one of the earliest groups to get off the ship.

Also, in Los Angeles, you must be able to carry all your luggage and have one hand free in order to use the escalator in the terminal. There is someone stationed at the top of the escalator who will direct you to a very long line (usually) that has to wait for the elevator if you do not have one hand "free" to hold onto the escalator railing.

There are a lot of options for transportation to LAX. A taxi runs $57 (as of 9-2012) for 2-4 people plus tip and people are usually willing to share.

The Princess shuttles are slow and take a long time to fill up, there's PrimeTime Shuttle (my favorite) which you can book online ahead of time and save a little money. The taxi is the easiest and fastest way to get to LAX, but I prefer PrimeTime. I've used them probably 5 or 6 times now and although you might have to make a stop or two on the way to the airport, it's economical and comfortable. They do not pack you in like sardines like SuperShuttle does and their vans are newer.

If you have any mobility issues, self-disembarkation would be difficult. If everything goes smoothly, most people will be off the ship by 9am. I've made it to LAX for a 10:15 flight doing self-disembarkation (also called "walk off") and using PrimeTime Shuttle with a stop along the way, but it was very stressful and I wouldn't recommend it. Plan for a noon-ish flight and it'll be easier on you. ;)

Archived