Starting to pack; cruise with 18mo

Mrs.C05

Hey everyone! So I'm starting to pack / slowly get things together for our cruise that includes our 18mo son. I know he is too young for the Camp Carnival and also for the pools, so I'm wondering what to take to entertain him? We'll have the tablet, bring a few toys, and of course walk around the ship and see what's going on. He loves to be free, people watch and just take everything in.

I read that I can bring non-perishable foods on, so I'll be bringing goldfish, mini graham crackers, etc. that will be in the store bought bags, however they are the manufactured individual bags. Can I take them out of the box it came in, or does it need to be in the store bought box/container?

That's all I can think of for now. TIA!

Hey everyone! So I'm starting to pack / slowly get things together for our cruise that includes our 18mo son. I know he is too young for the Camp Carnival and also for the pools, so I'm wondering what to take to entertain him? We'll have the tablet, bring a few toys, and of course walk around the ship and see what's going on. He loves to be free, people watch and just take everything in.

I read that I can bring non-perishable foods on, so I'll be bringing goldfish, mini graham crackers, etc. that will be in the store bought bags, however they are the manufactured individual bags. Can I take them out of the box it came in, or does it need to be in the store bought box/container?

That's all I can think of for now. TIA!

As long as they are factory sealed, individual bags, you don't need to take the box. You just can't bring little bags of goldfish or anything else that you made yourself. You can bring a bigger factory sealed package to make cups or bags of snacks to have on the ship, you just can't take those into port.

As far as other things to bring, a little blowup tub to use to bath or splash in on your balcony if you have one, a couple of beach toys, favorite book for bedtime.

If they are individually labelled and unopened bags, you should be able to take them off the ship. I have seen some ports where no food could be taken off the ship, but I don't think that was the Caribbean.

In addition to a book, don't forget the favourite stuffed animal and/or blanket.

Oh yes, I plan to bring his favorite stuffed animal and glowworm to make him feel "at home". Thanks for the advice. I knew people had been able to take Cheerios in boxes from the ship, off the ship for snacks, so I didn't know if I could do the same with what I bring on with me. Sounds like I can.

Wow, I had no idea about the no food rule. :eek:

We had tons of opened snacks shoved all over pockets in my son's stroller on several cruises.

fyi:

During the day there are usually bars or lounges that are unused, those are great places for active toddlers to run around without getting in anyones way.

Most places will not allow anything "fresh" to be brought ashore, for fear of introducing some foreign pest into the enviroment. Crackers, cookies, etc....are fine, even if the package is opened.

No meats, dairy, veggies, plants or animals are allowed in most countries, unless some official agency approves them.

Camp Carnival has hours for under 2's for a fee. Also on the first day / open house you can go there with your little one and play with all the toys.

So if I want to go in there with my son, after the first day, I have to pay?

So if I want to go in there with my son, after the first day, I have to pay?

I've heard (and I'm waiting on someone on ship now to confirm) that they offer a 2 hour block once a day on sea days where under 2s can go play with their parents or you can pay to leave them, but other than that they can only do the late night program that you pay for.

we cruised with dd, 14 months, toys were useless. lol. I brought her laptop, and a few small things. I think once she played the music, but she liked the music on the tv better. She did play with her ball in the splash pad. I did bring books, but she was always on the go, and passed before bed. I don't think we read much the whole week.

I did bring a few snacks, but dd didn't touch them. I bring baggies to hold food from the ship, bagel, muffin, anything other than fruit/veggie/meats. She ate more on the ship, than she did at home. I did end up getting her a bar of some sort one day in port, but it was healthy enough-nuts and berries.

Since dd wasn't pt'd, I put her diapers, overnight, day an swim, plus wipes and take n toss cups in the diaper box. The box was just thrown away at the end of the week. The few diapers left, I packed in our bag.

We always, even before dd, brought food off of the ship with us to eat on port days. I didn't even know about the no fruit rule till our last cruise, as I typically did grab apple/banana in am, as well as whatever else for us to have.

I keep a box of small toys and books-prizes from summer reading, birthday party bags, parades, kids meals. I use those when we travel, that way, it's new and fun, and who cares if it gets lost? I'd rather not have all that small stuff at home, and this way it gets played with again at some point.

I've heard (and I'm waiting on someone on ship now to confirm) that they offer a 2 hour block once a day on sea days where under 2s can go play with their parents or you can pay to leave them, but other than that they can only do the late night program that you pay for.

What we found on our ship was there were 2 hours for under 2's to play on sea day days. During that time children of other ages were not allowed in camp carnival. We decided to drop our son off for an hour each time. There were 2 very attentive ladies there and no other children using the service. I'm not sure if we could have chosen to stay there with him during that time for free. You can call and ask them.

On port days the kids of all ages were mixed together (on our ship) and under 2's were allowed to join. The camp isn't as popular on port days. Again I'm not sure if we could have chosen to stay with him and play.

What we found on our ship was there were 2 hours for under 2's to play on sea day days. During that time children of other ages were not allowed in camp carnival. We decided to drop our son off for an hour each time. There were 2 very attentive ladies there and no other children using the service. I'm not sure if we could have chosen to stay there with him during that time for free. You can call and ask them.

On port days the kids of all ages were mixed together (on our ship) and under 2's were allowed to join. The camp isn't as popular on port days. Again I'm not sure if we could have chosen to stay with him and play.

How much do they charge during port days?

Archived