Launch Savings

billbo_nuclear_baggins

I want to book a Panama Canal Full Transit cruise in April 2015. I would like to use a FCC. I wont have any FCC's until my Caribbean cruise in December 2013. Will the Launch Savings still be available in December 2013?

According to the Princess 2014-2015 Panama Canal & South America brochure (https://book.princess.com/images/cc/brochure/downloads/Princess_MB_Pan_Can_14_15.pdf), the launch savings "Offer expires 12/31/13 for Fall 2014 sailings and 3/3/14 for Spring 2015 sailings." So you will be able to take advantage of your FCC and launch savings.

Why don't you go ahead and book now and pay a refundable deposit? You really don't have anything to lose (make sure you are not booking with an agent who charges a cancellation penalty). Then after you purchase your Future Cruise Deposit in December you can compare prices - including credits. You can decide then whether to cancel and rebook or to keep the booking you have.

Thank you for your service. I hope you've already applied for the military OBC. And you may want to purchase 100 shares of Carnival Corporation stock if you haven't already. I love that triple play - FCC, military, and shareholder OBCs.

I don't get the above advice. There's never a downside to booking with a Future Cruise Deposit, and there is definitely something to lose by booking without one. They'd be just throwing away OBC, because, of course, one can't apply an FCD to an already-booked itinerary.

OP, if you're looking at a cruise in 2015, unless you're interested in booking a one-of-a-kind cabin that sells out the minute the itinerary is released, just wait until you cruise and have purchased your FCD and then book the Canal cruise. The Launch Savings will generally be beaten by cheaper fares as various sales come and go, so I wouldn't even factor that into the equation. With the cruise so far away, the price will fluctuate plenty. (Also, some of those sales may come with non-refundable deposits, so if you have used an FCD to book and then decide to have the price adjusted in one of those non-ref dep. sale, if you should have to cancel, you'll only lose the $100 FCD, not the hundreds of dollars that a regular deposit would have been.)

In short, it's a no brainer to book with an FCD, so definitely wait until you've got one clutched in your paws! If it were me, I definitely would hold off until December and not even worry about what prices were doing for a cruise that's over a year away.

Thanks for your comments. I think I will wait until my December cruise and buy a FCD. I looked at the 2014 cruises and they are discounted. I will wait and hope for a price discount and book with my FCD.

Buy more than one. so the next time you won't be in this predicament.

I bought 2 on our Hawaii cruise in March and already used both.

We usually have six (three each) and now I'm left with none, since we too used them all. Thankfully we're getting on the Royal in 9 days and I can buy more, since right now I'm short one on a B2B I want to book for Oct. '14. First leg is booked.

We usually have six (three each) and now I'm left with none, since we too used them all. Thankfully we're getting on the Royal in 9 days and I can buy more, since right now I'm short one on a B2B I want to book for Oct. '14. First leg is booked.

I will buy several on our Caribbean in December. Looks like we are on the same cruise.

I will buy several on our Caribbean in December. Looks like we are on the same cruise.

We bought one each on our last cruise and have now used them as deposits so we don't have any left. D'Oh! Lesson learned. We're doing a BVE on Friday specifically to purchase more. We'll get at least two each and maybe more.

If only I had more free time (and more money!) we'd be cruising much more often. I have 3 more years until retirement. Maybe then...

Nope. You're on the Regal; we're doing the Emerald. 25 days, but I buy as two legs, so already bought the 11. Need to add the 14 and will probably have to switch cabins. No biggie.

Archived