Current Passport Renewal Times?

The DH and I (along with the in-laws) are heading out Oct 4 to San Juan for our Jewel cruise. I go to grab the passports to enter them into our reservation and realize the DH's passport expires in March not July like he "thought".

Anyone know what the current processing times are for renewals? I know he will have to get it expedited, but I'm nervous that is still not enough time.

I need some good news, guys!

The DH and I (along with the in-laws) are heading out Oct 4 to San Juan for our Jewel cruise. I go to grab the passports to enter them into our reservation and realize the DH's passport expires in March not July like he "thought".

Anyone know what the current processing times are for renewals? I know he will have to get it expedited, but I'm nervous that is still not enough time.

Mine and DH's have expired this month,,,but did check gov.website and you can use birth certificates and or passport cards, which are alot cheaper than renewing passports..check out gov.com,,,,

You don't really need a passport to leave from San Juan. A birth certificate and picture ID will do.

Most caribbean countries don't have a "six month rule" for cruise ship passengers on a round-trip cruise so you should be fine with a passport expiring in 5 months. You should bring an original or certified (raised seal) birth certificate to be safe at check in, but any valid passport will be able to get you home if you need to fly in an emergency.

Never ceases to amaze me how one never goes directly to the source but would rather rely on the information from CC. Processing times vary depending on the season. Current processing times are posted on the following website : http://travel.state.gov/passport/processing/processing_1740.html
It doesent amaze me, I trust CC folks a lot more then the Government!!:eek:

Never ceases to amaze me how one never goes directly to the source but would rather rely on the information from CC. Processing times vary depending on the season. Current processing times are posted on the following website : http://travel.state.gov/passport/processing/processing_1740.html

Through my very scientific survey and spot-on statistical analysis, I have concluded that 75% of the question asked here can be answered by researching external sources, FAQ's, etc. The other 25% can be be answered by using the 'search' function in Cruise Critic. For that reason, we should probably turn off the ability to create new threads or post replies.

Perhaps the OP looked at the State Dept.'s website but wanted to know some real life, recent timeframes for others. Isn't it even a little bit possible that a government website has information that isn't entirely accurate or up to date? Sheesh.

Really? It never ceases to amaze me that people assume things and jump to conclusions on these boards.

I did actually check the website before I posted and it says 2-3 weeks for expedited. This is why I knew we were going to have to expedite it. Since we have 2 weeks but not 3 before we leave I was simply asking if anyone had any recent experience as in how many actual days it took them to get the passport returned.

Thank you for your very helpful post.

Through my very scientific survey and spot-on statistical analysis, I have concluded that 75% of the question asked here can be answered by researching external sources, FAQ's, etc. The other 25% can be be answered by using the 'search' function in Cruise Critic. For that reason, we should probably turn off the ability to create new threads or post replies.

Perhaps the OP looked at the State Dept.'s website but wanted to know some real life, recent timeframes for others. Isn't it even a little bit possible that a government website has information that isn't entirely accurate or up to date? Sheesh.

Perhaps if were a member of this BB when the search function didn't work for many months you would feel differently!!

DH spoke with the passport agency in Atlanta and has an appointment to get it taken care of so he will have it the following day after his appointment.

Also, for other who find themselves in a similar predicament he also called Royal and they said his current passport would be sufficient but we will be bringing the original birth certificate as well for backup. I guess the 6- month thing is not always necessary.

Then again we all know how reliable information from RC can be.

Thanks for the help!

My wife and I got married a little over two years ago and our Honeymoon we were on the Allure the day after our wedding so we didn't have to worry about the name change since we booked everything in my wife's Maiden name as any Govt. ID's hadn't been changed yet.

However, we booked a cruise for this October and just realized that we needed to change her passport since all her other Govt. ID's were changed so we were in a little bit of a panic.

We called the passport hotline on the State Dept. website and they gave us two options.

We were 4 weeks out and the nice passport person on the phone said we they can guarentee the service expedited would be back in time, but it would cost more or we could wait until we are two weeks from traveling and schedule an appointment with our regional Passport office in Stamford, CT and process the name change right there in person.

So, if your in a bind with the passport there are ways to get it done quick and easy.

They were a real hep.

Perhaps the OP looked at the State Dept.'s website but wanted to know some real life, recent timeframes for others. Sheesh.

That is why I rely on CC!

Thanks everyone for the real life feedback that has saved my posterior so many times on so many cruises.

That is why I rely on CC!

Thanks everyone for the real life feedback that has saved my posterior so many times on so many cruises.

Agreed!!

Like! As a scientist I validate your scientific analysis 100%!!

I renewed mine back in February and I sent it certified mail and from the day I received noticed that they had received it, till the time the new one was recieved in my mailbox was 8 days. I did not request that it be expeditied.

You don't really need a passport to leave from San Juan. A birth certificate and picture ID will do.

This is true, however, if you have to fly home from one of the non-US ports in the event of an emergency, you are going to have problems without the passport book.

If I remember correctly, this was one of the reasons Carnival decided to have the Triumph go to Alabama instead of Mexico. So many people didn't have the necessary passport books to fly home which created a major logistical issue.

I've never seen the State Department site display projected processing times shorter than the stated 4-6 weeks, but CC users routinely post experiences of getting renewals within 2-3 weeks (including on this very thread).

This is true, however, if you have to fly home from one of the non-US ports in the event of an emergency, you are going to have problems without the passport book.

If I remember correctly, this was one of the reasons Carnival decided to have the Triumph go to Alabama instead of Mexico. So many people didn't have the necessary passport books to fly home which created a major logistical issue.

Problems, yes. But impossible, doubtful.

Grandeur of the Seas was diverted and Royal arranged for flights home. I doubt all passengers on board (2200+) had book passports, as normally required for international air travel. I'm sure Royal (and other cruise lines) have the ability and connections necessary to make special arrangements under extenuating circumstances such as an unscheduled diversion which would allow a return using documents that would ordinarily have been accepted had the cruise continued uninterrupted.

For that matter, when Triumph returned to Alabama instead of Galveston, it was no longer considered a "closed loop cruise" and would have required passports for passengers, but I'd assume that Carnival made appropriate arrangements for an exception to be made.

Similarly, if you were flying between the Continental US and Alaska (no passport necessary for a domestic flight) and the flight required a diversion to Canada, I strongly doubt that Canadian authorities would give much grief for entering the country without proper documents. Likewise when the airline provided a replacement aircraft, I doubt the US would prevent timely arrival under such circumstances.

Right, because the standard "4-6 weeks" response that site has had on there for 5-6 years now is really helpful to the OP

Thats not "current" at a all.

Archived