Viking Cruisers -When did you get pre-trip pkg?

Bill'sBride

I was wondering how far in advance of your cruise you received your travel information packet? This question is for those who did not pay to get it early, which I have not done. We are 4 weeks to departure and was wondering how soon to expect it in my mailbox based on actual experience of other cruisers. This is our first river cruise so not up to speed on the process. Thanks!!

Traveling on the Embla 10.3, no packet yet! I did email Viking last week and they emailed they would "check on it" Tuesday (today) and it should be in the way this week. Third Viking cruise and this is the latest we've received our travel documents. Still have a little less than 2.5 weeks so should be fine.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ours came about 3 weeks before the CRUISE DATE...but we were leaving almost a week before that, so we got worried...but they did come. An excellent package...tickets, itinerary, booklets (VERY good) on the Rhine and Danube we would sail on, etc.

Hope ours come soon from Viking; a large group of us board the ship three weeks from today but we leave in two weeks and no documents yet. Cross our fingers they arrive soon.

Time to follow up on them Monday with either Viking directly or insist your TA actually call them...

We got our docs on 9/26 and leave on 10/9 so a little less than two weeks ahead. I was getting nervous! Viking FedExed them and sent an email with the tracking number so it was good that I could at least know they were enroute and the estimated delivery date.

The FedEx delivery did not require signature (I was worried that would bog things down if they tried to deliver while I was at work). The box was sitting in front of my door when I got home.

I don't know how it works if you've booked through a TA though.

Thanks for all the info and help; glad they didn't need a signature; will start to rattle some chains on Monday.

Travelfirst: can you tell me a little more about... sending you an email so you could track it... how many weeks before your cruise was this?

Sincere thanks.

Thanks for all the info and help; glad they didn't need a signature; will start to rattle some chains on Monday.

Travelfirst: can you tell me a little more about... sending you an email so you could track it... how many weeks before your cruise was this?

Sincere thanks.

As soon as my package left California, I received a tracking number from Fed Ex- was able to track it over 2.5 days to near Toronto (Sunday -no delivery) so shipping was very effiicent.

Use their prefered email to send them a message, saves waiting on the phone.

Sincere thanks.

I think it was about two weeks before the cruise.

They will give you the information in the e-mail on how to track it.

Thanks Mathladyca; will write them now.

I wrote them last night and no response yet but I had my TA check into it and can't believe what she was told by the Documents Dept. Supervisor:

They will be printed this Wed. which is 2 weeks 3 days before the cruise and should be sent out by Monday which is 11 days before the cruise and 7 days before we leave as we are doping a pre stay in Prague but Canadian Thanksgiving is in there plus we don't get mail delivery on the weekend in Canada so they have 4 days to reach us after they are sent out. They've only had our money for ages so knew this large group was coming plus I thought there was valuable info in it on what to bring for dress, adapters, converters, important phone numbers etc. to leave with family and chances are... will we even get them with such a tight window. At the best looks like we might get them about 2 days before we leave. My friend went with Avalon and she had her's weeks before they left. Hate to be negative but certainly hope this is not the start of what's to come and I really don't think printing them 2 weeks 3 days before the date the cruise leaves is acceptable.

Contact Viking yourself....their answer is not acceptable and I am sure they will overnight them immediately when you explain. The trouble with travel agents is that they don't go that extra step and say " we need those docs now and not two weeks from now"

Viking follows this board and this issue has come up before.... Give them a call right now!

Archived