lengh, steepness of gangways

curiousjly

I have been reading a lot of the posts, and there has been a lot of great information, but not in the area that I need to know.

I have mobility problems due to back problems. I can walk okay, if short level distances, no more than approximately 100 feet without having to stop for a short ( 5-10 minute) rest. I can go up stairs, if not too many, or too steep, about 6-8 depending.

From looking at the layout of the ship, I can take frequent stops when walking around, so don't think I will need a scooter.

I have problems going up inclines, if they are long and steep, then I can't do it. The problem in that area is, for one person long and steep is different for another, so can someone give me approximate length and height in areas especially getting on the ship.

I will be leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale, going to Ocho Rico and Grand Caymens, on the Enchantment in Nov.

I have already learned that the destination ports are tendered, but, how long are the piers when the tendered boat gets there? Are there a lot of steps to get to the boats? How far do I have to walk to shore, how unlevel (rocky) are these ports/piers and the shopping areas there?

On getting on the ship, how long is the gangplank (correct name?) and how high? I can't stand for more than 10 minutes, is there somewhere I can sit and wait? Can I just sit somewhere and let my daughter take care of it all?

Thanks for the help?

What is so frustrating, I don't look "disabled" and in many ways I am not, but I do have some mobility problems, and the back doc says that eventually, if something isn't done, I can get paralzyed. His idea of something done, lose weight, yeah right. Can't lift over 10-15 lbs, and once just getting out of the car shifted everything and for 6 months I was in a lot of pain and unable to walk.

Have posted other questions on RCI forum, and have a lot of great help and tips in other areas, but thought here I would get from those who deal with same issues

Jly

I'll leave specifics to others but generally speaking the major cruise lines provide good forms of assistance in all the situations you describe. For example, the cruise line will be happy to help you up the gangway as you board, usually by a wheelchair.

Be sure your travel agent includes your physical needs in your booking information so that the cruise line is prepared to help you.

Walt's suggestion that you have your TA arrange for a wheelchair for boarding (and disembarking when you return) is a good one. You will be faced not only with getting from the pier to the ship, but going through check-in, security photos, and such, so that you will need to cover a lot of ground just to get on the ship. And without a wheelchair you might be faced with having to take escalators or walk up stairs. In a wheelchair, the staff will take you on an elevator and wheel you through everything, onto the ship.

But don’t expect that type of assistance from the cruiseline at the ports. There you will be on your own. Are you sure about tendering at Ocho Rios? I think some ships tender there and some do not, and it may depend on which other ships are in port at the same time. Where you are tendering, you need to investigate not only the pier situation, but also what is involved in getting into the tender from the ship. Some ships will have just a fairly flat gangway onto the tender; some have very steep steps (a lot of steps, at that) going down from the ship to the tender. Unless you find a passenger who has done this port from this ship, it is not easy to get the information; you will need to call the cruise line and be persistent until you reach someone who will make a genuine effort to contact the person who actually knows such details. In theory your TA should do this, but its been my experience that TA’s will too quickly take the easy answer and not really find out what the true story is. You will also probably have a couple of steps down once you reach the tender, in order to get to the seating.

My recollection of the Ocho pier is that, between the ship and where the transportation (buses, taxis, etc) line up is a good deal more than 100 feet, and I don’t recall any benches along the way. It’s fairly flat (not really uphill or downhill) but bumpy in spots. And on the way back to the ship you most likely have to stand in line while everyone’s purchases are examined. You might want to take a travel, folding wheelchair for Ocho. (In fact, you might just want to take one anyway, and you can use it for embarking and disembarking at FLL, without having to get a wheelchair from the cruiseline) If you’re taking an excursion through the ship, you will probably have the same walking situation, but you will also be with a group that you’ll need to keep up with so you don’t get left behind, so keep that in mind also.

I didn’t get off the ship in Grand Cayman, so I can’t comment on that; although I did read on these boards that the pier in Grand Cayman is quite a problem to navigate.

Hope it works out okay for you and you get to enjoy both ports!

I have a lot of the same issues as you, so I hope I can help. First the gangways. Most of the time it's a very long walk from the entrance of the terminal, to the check in point, to the security checkpoint and then to the gangway. If you arrive at the terminal when it's crowded, there is quite a long time standing in line to check in. Some gangways, especially for the super large ships, can be very steep and it is a long walk. While there are elevators that can avoid the escalators, you will still have a long walk. Also, there is no place anywhere on the gangway for you to sit, plus there are lots of people who will be walking onto the ship and the gangway can get crowded. I would suggest that your travel agent request a wheelchair to meet you at the point where you drop off your luggage. I've cruised RCCI many times and I've never had a problem with someone bringing a wheelchair for me at the entrance to the terminal.

I've not ever heard that Ocho Rios is a tendered port--the many times I've been there, even on the biggest of ships, we've always docked. There's no way of telling you how long the dock will be, but for the most part, they are quite long, can be uneven pavement, and it is usually a long walk to get to the town areas. If you are even a little bit unsteady on your legs, tendering can be nasty---I've given up tendering because I have too hard a time trying to get into a bouncy tender. Unfortunately, tendering in Grand Cayman is the worst place I've every experienced---the seas are very rough and the tender rises and falls many feet. The other thing to consider is how long you have to wait dockside for the tender to return to the ship. In Grand Cayman, there is only one tender point, and when there are a lot of ships in port, it can be as long as an hour wait for your tender.

First of all, I would strongly suggest getting a scooter. Ships are very large and if you can only walk 100 feet or so before resting for 5 - 10 minutes, then it could take you an hour or more to get where you want to go, expecially if it is on the other end of the ship. It would also allow you to get around better on shore.

As the previous posters said, embarkation can be a long process with a good bit of walking. You have to wait in line to check in, get to the gangway, the walk what often is a long, snaking gangway onto the ship and then walk to your cabin. And there will be few places to sit until you get aboard the ship. Your daughter can not take care of checking in for you because RCCL needs to see you when checking your id. Using a scooter or a ship's wheelchair will not only help you with the distance, but should also speed up your embarkation bacuse the cruise lines almost always have sepearate lines for the wheelchair passengers.

The steepness of the gangways is dependent on the tides. The gangway can be almost flat when you leave and somewhat steep when you retirn if the tide has gone out. We have always docked in Ocho Rios. My memory is that the gangway in Ocho Rios was about 12 feet long and at a slight angle, but it could vary based ion the tide. Once ashore it was about a 3 or 4 minute walk to where you can get a cab. One shopping area is within walking distance to the pier, but it is probably too far for you so you most likely will need to take a cab.

Usually there are 12 or more steep steps to/from a ship's tender exit to the tender plus one or two strps into the tender itself. Ashore in Grand Cayman you will need to take one or two steps from the tender onto the dock and then go up a 30 ft or so incline to the street level. Once there, you are in the shopping area which is a paved area with good sidewalks.

I don't have a TA, I just did all the research online, checking out cruiselines, and plane fare, hotel, who shuttled from airport to ports, and figured I could do it myself cheaper. I think now I should have used a TA.

I told RCI when I called them (matched the prices from online sites, such as Travelocity, very little difference from calling RCI) and let the young man know I had mobility problems, he said he would note it. I am going to call back, and let them know that I probably will need a wheelchair to get on and off. I think I will get a statement from my family doctor, just in case, when I update my shots.

As for the ship, from what I have been hearing, I may just stay onboard, it truly won't bother me to do so. I am a complete clutz, and will fall and break something, I just broke my toe when I accidently hit a plastic child gate.

My daughter can go and have fun, this is mainly a chance for her to have a much needed break. I'll find some spot to hide, watch others and do homework.

Thanks all,

Jly

I also have mobility problems and can only walk short distances. I have found great help with a rolling walker with integrated seat. When I need to sit I can simply turn the walker around and sit down. When traveling I use the walker because I can use a regular room and at this point in my life this is a good compromise for me.

It is a gangway. A gangplank is what the pirates make you walk!

Keep in mind that tides also effect the steepness of the gangway. In most ports, the gangway belongs to the port, not to the ship, so the ship may not have much control over the steepness or other conditions. They will walk you up and down the gangway, but once you are on the ground, you are on your own and may still have quite a long walk to where the shops or other sights are. This is less true if you book ships's tours, but of course you pay for this.

I would second getting either a scooter or a walker with a seat like mentioned above (Rollator is a popular brand). Most ships are VERY big, and walking a long ways is the norm to meals, to events, etc. There are often not places to sit, esp. in the areas with cabins. If you have to struggle to go anyway, you will tend to skip going to special events, classes, movies, etc. or the other things on the ship.

Just be sure if you get a scooter that you have an accessible cabin, as most scooters will not go through a regular cabin door, and they will not let you park it outside your room.

It is interesting how all the different organizations or such have their own lingo, special words to identify things and set themselves apart from others. I find it fascinating, In my field we have all kinds of jargon that confuse those outside of it, and even in something that is seen as recreational, there are still specific words.

Gangway, not the gangplank (makes me thing of Pirates of the Carribean, with the girl standing there in her underwear being forced to "walk the plank").

When I called and reserved my cabin, I didn't ask for any HC one, and they are full up, now, I checked a week ago on something, so no rooms are left.

To be honest, I don't think the rest of passengers would want to be the ones I learn how to drive a scooter around. So, I will just give myself lots of time to get places. It isn't like I have to rush to get somewhere. For me, it will be a time to lay back and not have to do this and that at a specific time. If I want to go to a show, I just arrange it that I can be there in plenty of time. If not, no big deal. Right now, life is so scheduled up, rush here and get this done, I don't want to have to "do" anything.

I will ask for the concessions of help in getting on and off the ship, but the rest, I think I wll just wing it.

I do appreciate all your help. Next cruise I take, I will be better prepared (if I can get hubby to get over fear that the ship will sink and sharks will eat him!).

Jly

Archived