Fantasy/Charleston

Ocean Dancer

We are vacationing in Myrtle Beach and today we took a day trip to Charleston, South Carolina were the Carnival Fantasy home ports. She was our very first cruise ship back in 1991 when she was new. We took a carriage ride and our guide pointed out all the mansions that had the black and red anti cruise ship flag with the Carnival "tail" It made me sick, as a cruise lover and in my opinion, this beautiful city will suffer with the lack of additional tourists not eating/sleeping/spending money if the cruise port is closed.

I heard something about an extension, but I can tell you, this town is not happy with modern ways. It is a beautiful city with lots of history and some of the oldest buildings in America. It should be visited, and it is part of our history, but banning a cruise ship that is in port once every 4 or 5 days, and sails away at 4pm?

Come on East Coast!!:confused: Financially this is crazy. Just my opinion.

It seems to me that their issue is with Carnival, not the cruise industry. Charleston has been receiving cruise ships for decades, and even Celebrity and Norwegian had ships home ported there for years. Other cruise lines that have visited include Princess, Holland America, Silversea and Crystal. Nobody has had an issue until now.

I love Charleston and love visiting there. Such good food!:D

We own a place a Myrtle Beach and do the day trip to Charleston quite often (week ago today in fact). I don't understand the problem these people have either, but most of the people I speak with while in Charleston love having the Fantasy there. Of course, these are people who work in restaurants, hotels, etc.

Love the Fantasy and can't wait to cruise on her again!

Kim

We loved our visit to Charleston two years ago - but to be completely honest, if we weren't sailing on Fantasy I doubt we would have visited.

Sadly, ITA with you. We stayed in a hotel before and after our cruise on the Fantasy, and spent money there. Wonder why certain residents can't see the value in that.

We love Charleston, we usually go there once a year or so. I want to try sailing out of there sometime. We love the food and the history the city has, and I agree, they need to realize how much tourism the cruise industry brings them. We would love to see a newer ship brought in.

So sad that a few well placed homeowners and some lawyers don't want a "SHIP" at a port... I posted a few days ago about this and consider that as late as the '80s the Navy ported downtown regularly and disgorged thousands of sailors onto the area. It was so frequent that the eatery called "Fleet Landing" was exactly that, it was where every sailor going ashore had to go thru to make sure they did have authority to leave the ship.

The harbor and its ports have had vessels going back hundreds of years and to think a cruise ship could stir such animosity is sad... Alas welcome to Charleston and all it's charm including the good and the bad. I don't think Carnival is going anywhere, the most that will happen is no new terminal. Heck even the Democrat Mayor Joe Riley is for the cruise ship.

Please understand that it is a very very small group of people who don't want Carnival there. The vast majority of us want the ship here and the revenue that it brings. They are the upper crust rich folks in the Preservation Society that is causing all of this issue. They keep throwing money at appeals and such and it is making me crazy!

Please click on the link to see all the businesses that support Carnival being here. Please continue to come to Charleston so that we can knock these folks off their high horse. It pains me to know that people think ALL Charlestonians don't want Carnival here. Please keep coming to Charleston. We need the revenue and our locals want y'all here!

http://www.port-of-charleston.com/UnionPierPlan/cruise-profiles.html

I agree, I live a sort distance from Charleston, and it is just a small Group causing all the fuss. I say if the terminal port is scratched from that location the SPA should use it for shipping container storage again, so much better than s shiny cruise ship. :) The small group want a park there, That's the last thing Charleston needs, it needs cash!

It amazes me they are opposed to cleaning the port up. Would they rather keep the old run down industrial look or go with the planned new cruise terminal with its green spaces opposed to rusty buildings. They have a beautiful park just north of the current terminal. If the build the proposed terminal it would go beautifully with it. From speaking to people and reading articles the group who oppose it are a small minority of liberal environmentalist and wealthy home owners. Charleston is a great port to sail out of. Hope they proceed with the new terminal soon.

Archived