Valor Southern Caribbean review with pictures and Fun Times - better late than never

pghsteelerfan

Can't find you on FB. I'd need a last name and considering this is the internet, I don't want to ask you for it on a public page. I'll give you our email but will spell it all out (the "at" instead of @ "dot" instead of .)

OK...I sent you an email with the info. You can delete that message now if they allow you too. (This one too if you want)

I'm happy to send you any full res versions if shutterfly doesn't allow you to see the 16mp pix in full res.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU once again for doing this review. We just returned from our Valor cruise yesterday and because of your review, we did the Spencer Ambrose Land & Sea tour and it was absolutely our favorite day!! They were all so great!!

Hi and welcome back! :) I can't believe you've already been on your cruise. I think when you commented originally you had a little over a month to go. Time sure flies and I wasn't even on a cruise this time. I am so happy that you enjoyed your day with Spencer Ambrose Land & Sea Tour. We had such a blast that day and if we ever get back I'd love to do the Land & Sea Tour since we just did the Jalousie Beach Break. I've read all about the roads, were they as bad as it seems from posts on CC? I hope you had a wonderful time on your cruise and great weather.

OK...I sent you an email with the info. You can delete that message now if they allow you too. (This one too if you want)

I'm happy to send you any full res versions if shutterfly doesn't allow you to see the 16mp pix in full res.

Hi! I did receive your email and just getting ready to look at your album. Thank you again for sharing. I'll let you know in email reply about full res.

pghsteelerfan - I'd like to show you all my pictures. I've got a shutterfly web page set up, but I don't know how to privately send you the link. If you'd like to look me up on Facebook, I can add you there and you can see them or if there is another way, let me know.

-JKirkN

Can you share your cruise photo's with me too :D cwonsch13 @ gmail.com please

it is snowing and i need all the "cruise" i can get.

Hi and welcome back! :) I can't believe you've already been on your cruise. I think when you commented originally you had a little over a month to go. Time sure flies and I wasn't even on a cruise this time. I am so happy that you enjoyed your day with Spencer Ambrose Land & Sea Tour. We had such a blast that day and if we ever get back I'd love to do the Land & Sea Tour since we just did the Jalousie Beach Break. I've read all about the roads, were they as bad as it seems from posts on CC? I hope you had a wonderful time on your cruise and great weather.

I can't believe it's over either! The roads are narrow, windy and very hilly. I didn't think it was bad. I never felt scared or unsafe at all. The scenery is absolutely beautiful and you really get to see a lot of the island. We loved it.

I can't believe it's over either! The roads are narrow, windy and very hilly. I didn't think it was bad. I never felt scared or unsafe at all. The scenery is absolutely beautiful and you really get to see a lot of the island. We loved it.

It's the "horror stories" I've read about people getting motion sickness that I was wondering about. I guess I could have been more specific. LOL!!! I would love to do the Land and Sea tour next time and would probably take something for motion sickness before hand. :)

Edited by pghsteelerfan

It's the "horror stories" I've read about people getting motion sickness that I was wondering about. I guess I could have been more specific. LOL!!! I would love to do the Land and Sea tour next time and would probably take something for motion sickness before hand. :)

Yes the roads can get quite windy and narrow but at least in our tours with Spencer Ambrose (2 different times) we stopped enough to look at things, that getting motion sick really was not an issue. Plus if you have someone that is very prone to it.... he will let you sit up front. Our last time with him was on the Land and Sea tour and it was our favorite. The first time we used him it was all by van except the water taxi around the point to get to Jalousie Beach between the Pitons. :D

Ohh well I've never had motion sickness so it's hard for me to say. My sister did get motion sickness for the first time on this cruise (she's been on 7 cruises) and the roads did not bother her. They go pretty slow and there are pretty frequent stops.

Yes the roads can get quite windy and narrow but at least in our tours with Spencer Ambrose (2 different times) we stopped enough to look at things, that getting motion sick really was not an issue. Plus if you have someone that is very prone to it.... he will let you sit up front. Our last time with him was on the Land and Sea tour and it was our favorite. The first time we used him it was all by van except the water taxi around the point to get to Jalousie Beach between the Pitons. :D

Ohh well I've never had motion sickness so it's hard for me to say. My sister did get motion sickness for the first time on this cruise (she's been on 7 cruises) and the roads did not bother her. They go pretty slow and there are pretty frequent stops.

Thank you both for answering. It sounds like I'd be fine on the roads. :) Come to think of it, I should be fine on the roads, I grew up in Western PA. LOL!!! On the ship I'm fine if I remember to take the Dramamine (I use non-drowsy) and take it at least an hour before leaving port. I have felt it a little on Sea Days on past cruises when I forgot to take it in the morning since we're at sea all day. This time I remembered on our sea day and had no problem at all.

Thank you both for answering. It sounds like I'd be fine on the roads. :) Come to think of it, I should be fine on the roads, I grew up in Western PA. LOL!!! On the ship I'm fine if I remember to take the Dramamine (I use non-drowsy) and take it at least an hour before leaving port. I have felt it a little on Sea Days on past cruises when I forgot to take it in the morning since we're at sea all day. This time I remembered on our sea day and had no problem at all.

my husband swears on ginger root pills!! he takes 2 in the am on the ship and 1 before dinner, also he takes them when we go on long car rides (the wuss) :p

my husband swears on ginger root pills!! he takes 2 in the am on the ship and 1 before dinner, also he takes them when we go on long car rides (the wuss) :p

The wuss, LOL!!! :) I've seen others comment on ginger root pills but I didn't know if they really worked or not. If your husband swears by them I think I'll try them out next time we cruise. I can always take the Dramamine for back up, just in case. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I think I am finally to the end!! I became addicted to your review yesterday. I have a very bad addiction being that as soon as I get off one cruise I can get nothing accomplished till I get the next one planned and booked. We were just recently on The Royal Princess and I have started a review but if anyone from Princess starts to look for me they will now know why I have procrastinated at finishing!!LOL I have been like a madwoman this week in trying to decide between The Carnival Valor or a AI to Punta Cana. Lets just say your review helped tip the scale. We are avid cruisers and why I was even looking at a AI I don't know because the only thing I accomplished was a headache!!!LOL

I officially am booked for 11/16/14. A long time away but I usually book 12-18 months out because of my work.

We have never been to St. Kitts so excited about a new place. Now I have almost a year to plan!!

I think there may be something going on in San Juan the weekend we go because a few of the hotels I usually like are showing they are booked. I'm going to keep watching in case it changes.

I was a bit leery in booking on The Valor again. We sailed her from Miami in 2008 and we really seemed to have a off week for food. This itinerary is so port intensive that it won't be as big a deal. I really enjoyed your review. Thanks for helping to nudge me in the right direction!!!

I think I am finally to the end!! I became addicted to your review yesterday. I have a very bad addiction being that as soon as I get off one cruise I can get nothing accomplished till I get the next one planned and booked. We were just recently on The Royal Princess and I have started a review but if anyone from Princess starts to look for me they will now know why I have procrastinated at finishing!!LOL I have been like a madwoman this week in trying to decide between The Carnival Valor or a AI to Punta Cana. Lets just say your review helped tip the scale. We are avid cruisers and why I was even looking at a AI I don't know because the only thing I accomplished was a headache!!!LOL

I officially am booked for 11/16/14. A long time away but I usually book 12-18 months out because of my work.

We have never been to St. Kitts so excited about a new place. Now I have almost a year to plan!!

I think there may be something going on in San Juan the weekend we go because a few of the hotels I usually like are showing they are booked. I'm going to keep watching in case it changes.

I was a bit leery in booking on The Valor again. We sailed her from Miami in 2008 and we really seemed to have a off week for food. This itinerary is so port intensive that it won't be as big a deal. I really enjoyed your review. Thanks for helping to nudge me in the right direction!!!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the review and found it helpful. I had seen some complaints before our cruise of all Carnival ships in general with the food not as good, service lacking, etc., etc. and went with those expectations having the mindset that Valor would be our transportation to places we really wanted to see and not let it ruin our vacation. We were pleasantly surprised and the food and staff on Valor were great and this turned out to be one of our best vacations ever. So glad you're booked for next November and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. I think I told someone else that the pictures do not do these beautiful islands justice - seeing it in the real, is...WOW! Due to DH losing his job recently, it will probably be a while before we vacation again, but when we do, I've already let him know I want to do this same cruise again, so the "arm twisting" has already begun. LOL!!! There isn't much to see here in my review of St. Kitts, but from what we were able to see it was BEAUTIFUL! If we get back, I would definitely do an island tour. I know you are in the middle of your own review (I'll have to look for it, btw) but there are several other Valor Southern and Victory Southern reviews (since Valor just took Victory's spot for this itinerary in February of this year) that are wonderful just in case you get any doubts about booking Valor instead of the AI. They are:

Dirkgun's - Victory Jan. 2010 (This was the review that I read that made up my mind to do the Southern itinerary out of San Juan): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1150670

Victory Dec. 2012: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1768746

GAPearl's - Feb. 2013: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1801810

MegnJoe's - May 2013 (they got on Valor the day we got off): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1867814

Valentinebaby1's - October 2013 (they have some great pics from St. Kitts): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1931793

Thank you again for reading and taking the time to comment. :)

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thanks for the links will check them out. Did you go to Bio Bay while in Puerto Rico? I'm thinking of getting there 2-3 days early. We have been all over Old San Juan a few times but never done the rainforest or bio bay. Was looking at the Wyndham or El Conquistador since they are both closer to the areas. You've had so many people post was hoping someone might be following your thread and offer some advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the links will check them out. Did you go to Bio Bay while in Puerto Rico? I'm thinking of getting there 2-3 days early. We have been all over Old San Juan a few times but never done the rainforest or bio bay. Was looking at the Wyndham or El Conquistador since they are both closer to the areas. You've had so many people post was hoping someone might be following your thread and offer some advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, we did not get to Bio Bay while we were in Puerto Rico. We flew down the day before the cruise, a Saturday, and were tired from getting up for an early flight so we just spent the afternoon on the beach at our hotel and called it an early night. I would LOVE to do the Bio Bay someday and from everything I have read, it is amazing. The day we boarded the ship the "must see" for us was Fort El Morro and we were not disappointed. I'd also love to go to El Yunque. I'd love to take a week vacation in Puerto Rico sometime because there is so much to see and do.

If you're interested in more details from the Bio Bay, Valentinebaby1 (one of the reviews I attached a link to) did the Bio Bay and has a great write up about it. There was another review I read earlier this year (August or September) that I mentioned at the beginning of this review where they also did the Bio Bay and also gave a great description. The spent time in Puerto Rico pre-cruise and several days post-cruise, spending time in Vieques (sp?) an island off the coast of Puerto Rico that is still part of Puerto Rico. I'll try to find the review and attach the link.

If anyone else reading has information on the Bio Bay for gracie65, please feel free to comment with your thoughts. :)

gracie65, I just found the link to the other review by cra-z-2cruise, which I'm attaching below. I also really enjoyed this one and they've also given great details about the Bio Bay including a couple of pictures. I commented on the review so it wasn't too hard for me to find. Hope this helps some. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1890482

Edited by pghsteelerfan

No, we did not get to Bio Bay while we were in Puerto Rico. We flew down the day before the cruise, a Saturday, and were tired from getting up for an early flight so we just spent the afternoon on the beach at our hotel and called it an early night. I would LOVE to do the Bio Bay someday and from everything I have read, it is amazing. The day we boarded the ship the "must see" for us was Fort El Morro and we were not disappointed. I'd also love to go to El Yunque. I'd love to take a week vacation in Puerto Rico sometime because there is so much to see and do.

If you're interested in more details from the Bio Bay, Valentinebaby1 (one of the reviews I attached a link to) did the Bio Bay and has a great write up about it. There was another review I read earlier this year (August or September) that I mentioned at the beginning of this review where they also did the Bio Bay and also gave a great description. The spent time in Puerto Rico pre-cruise and several days post-cruise, spending time in Vieques (sp?) an island off the coast of Puerto Rico that is still part of Puerto Rico. I'll try to find the review and attach the link.

If anyone else reading has information on the Bio Bay for gracie65, please feel free to comment with your thoughts. :)

Yes, the forts are amazing. We have done pretty much everything there is in Old San Juan that's why I wanted to branch out this trip.

If you are ever in North Myrtle Beach, SC you need to check out a restaurant called Oscar's. The owner was a huge Steeler's fan so there is lots of memorabilia inside. He passed away a few years ago but his wife still runs it. Salads with french fries are amazing!!

Yes, the forts are amazing. We have done pretty much everything there is in Old San Juan that's why I wanted to branch out this trip.

If you are ever in North Myrtle Beach, SC you need to check out a restaurant called Oscar's. The owner was a huge Steeler's fan so there is lots of memorabilia inside. He passed away a few years ago but his wife still runs it. Salads with french fries are amazing!!

I'm so glad we finally saw El Morro. This was actually our third time in San Juan. The first was our honeymoon cruise, on Festivale, in 1992 which did a similar southern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan. The ships were docked across the harbor due to a Christopher Columbus 500 year celebration in which replica Columbus ships were docked where the cruise ships normally dock. With that being our first cruise, we stayed on board once we got to the ship. Second time was in May 2010 with a 7AM - 3PM stop in San Juan. We did a zip line excursion through Carnival (a lot of fun, beautiful scenery) and only had two hours to spend before meeting for the excursion. We walked around Old San Juan and made it up to the grassy area of Fort San Cristobal but didn't spend much time since we had to head right back. I'd loved to have spent more time at both forts this time but we ended up running out of time and wanted to get back on board. Again, I'd love to take a week's vacation there someday.

We were in Myrtle Beach with friends two years ago and never knew about Oscars and wish we had (so glad the owner's wife is keeping it going). We were in North Myrtle to go to a popular chain crab house that originated in Nags Head, NC, (won't mention the name here or this post could be deleted, but the initials are "DD"). Thank you for letting us know because that is something we'd love to check out next time we're there. My DH loves all Steeler's memorabilia. We're both originally from the Pittsburgh area and French fries on salads are quite popular and we even make them here at home. There is a restaurant up there named Primanti Brothers that is very popular and has even been profiled on some of the food shows. They are famous for French fries and cole slaw on sandwiches. Sounds pretty gross but those sandwiches are so good.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 3 weeks later...

pghsteelerfan

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review! You have an amazing eye, and the pics were breathtaking.

My dh is a die-hard Steeler's fan, so you could say they are my step-team. We have a German Shepherd named Heinz Ward Von Michels, who has his very own Terrible Towel!

Thanks for your many great photos and your review...thanks for the Fun Times, too. :):):):)

Thank you for your nice comments! :) Do you have a cruise planned on Valor? This was one of our all time favorite cruises, beautiful itinerary.

pghsteelerfan

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review! You have an amazing eye, and the pics were breathtaking.

My dh is a die-hard Steeler's fan, so you could say they are my step-team. We have a German Shepherd named Heinz Ward Von Michels, who has his very own Terrible Towel!

Thank you for commenting and for your nice compliments of the pictures. I think I mentioned in the review that the pictures don't do the scenery of these islands justice - just beautiful.

Nice to hear your DH is a Steeler fan too and that they are now your step-team! We're hoping they make the playoffs this year but it's going to be close. I love your German Shepherd's name! Ward will probably be one of my all time favorite players, I just loved his huge smile and miss seeing #86 on the field.

• 2 weeks later...