Cruising out of Vancouver from East Coast

MATHA531

Hi everybody. I am in the early stages of planning an Alaska cruise from NY next August and need advice from some experts here. (Thanking you in advance). I have decided to do a one way and fly home from Anchorage. My preferred airlines are Delta and American where I have frequent flyer miles (conversely I don't have United aka Continental so Air Canada is sort of a no go but not absolutely so). Anyway leaving the airlines aside it seems to be down to two options.

1. Fly from JFK to SEA. Overnight in Seattle either near the airport or in downtown Seattle and catch an early morning bus to Vancouver. There seem to be lots of lines or at least a few choices for bus transport from Sea-Tac to Vancouver at not too much expense. or

2. Fly from NYC to YVR. Stay overnight in YVR and either taxi or go train to Canada Place or cab it.

I am travelling by my lonesome self. So, I would like some advice on people who have done East Coast to Alaska cruises of what they feel is the best way to handle the day before trip to the Pacific NW. It does seem that only an Air Canada or United code share with Air Canada would give me a direct flight. So most likely my flight would involve either staying over in Seattle or connecting into Vancouver.

Any thoughts by others here as well as suggestions for moderately priced hotels (under $130/night) either in Seattle or Vancouver.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi everybody. I am in the early stages of planning an Alaska cruise from NY next August and need advice from some experts here. (Thanking you in advance). I have decided to do a one way and fly home from Anchorage. My preferred airlines are Delta and American where I have frequent flyer miles (conversely I don't have United aka Continental so Air Canada is sort of a no go but not absolutely so). Anyway leaving the airlines aside it seems to be down to two options.

1. Fly from JFK to SEA. Overnight in Seattle either near the airport or in downtown Seattle and catch an early morning bus to Vancouver. There seem to be lots of lines or at least a few choices for bus transport from Sea-Tac to Vancouver at not too much expense. or

2. Fly from NYC to YVR. Stay overnight in YVR and either taxi or go train to Canada Place or cab it.

I am travelling by my lonesome self. So, I would like some advice on people who have done East Coast to Alaska cruises of what they feel is the best way to handle the day before trip to the Pacific NW. It does seem that only an Air Canada or United code share with Air Canada would give me a direct flight. So most likely my flight would involve either staying over in Seattle or connecting into Vancouver.

Any thoughts by others here as well as suggestions for moderately priced hotels (under $130/night) either in Seattle or Vancouver.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

There are 3 non-stop (direct means potentially stops, but same flight #)

Air Canada from EWR

Delta from JFK (summer only)

Cathay Pacific from JFK

All have their advantages and disadvantages. Sometimes the Cathay flight can be had for a very good price; and right now I see the EWR-YVR for as little as $210. At that price you'd be crazy to spend another day transiting via SEA, and taking a bus for the last 150 miles.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

If you fly into Seattle and take the bus or train up to Vancouver from there, expect to pay at least $40 per person in each direction to get there and back. I haven't done a bus, but I have taken the train a couple of times. It's about a 4-hour ride on the train from Seattle to Vancouver (although the train is nice and roomy with some nice views.) That said, even factoring in the additional transportation costs, it's entirely possible that it will still be cheaper to fly to Seattle instead of Vancouver. Also consider that hotels in Vancouver (especially in the Downtown area) can be quite expensive. The last time I looked I had trouble finding much in that area for less than $200 a night.

Having flown to this area many times I would fly to Vancouver and not go into Seattle. It will make everything much simpler. When you arrive in Vancouver consider taking their train that takes you right into Vancouver and stay downtown. Sure you can stay near the airport and then go into town the day of your cruise as another option.

Keith

If you can get a flight to YVR at a comparable price to SEA, absolutely go straight to YVR.

If you can save maybe $100 or more on the flight, going to Seattle makes sense - it's a good city to visit with plenty to do, and the northbound morning Amtrak train is very reliable (train you go through immigration as you arrive in Vancouver so it's always quick & easy - bus you use a busy land border shared with trucks & cars, delays are stressful if you have a cruise to catch!)

Hotels under $130 in peak cruise season? You might get a downtown deal on hotwire/priceline, but if you want to book directly to know exactly what you're in for you'll need to look at airport or north shore hotels (there are often some good prices right by Lonsdale Quay, which allows you to take the <15 minute Seabus over on the morning of your cruise). If you don't mind rather minimalist accommodation, the YWCA hotel offers single rooms for $90 a night (possibly a buck or two more next year) with a semi-private bathroom (i.e. shared with next door, if you go in their door locks automatically). It's clean & safe and in a convenient location.

Vancouver is like Fort Lauderdale during the cruise season, hotels are very expensive and deals are hard to come by. However, if you diligently watch Hotwire or bid on Priceline you should find a 3*+ hotel at about $130/n plus tax and booking fees. If you are willing to stay out in Richmond around YVR and commute in the morning of your cruise you will certainly find hotels in your price range.

We took this route late this summer. We flew into Seattle and then boarded the rail to the train station. Where we could easily walk to the train station. It was easy, no big streets to cross or anything. Our ticket from the Seattle Airport to the train station was 2.50 each. Then we took a bus, but you can take a train into Vancouver.

I was so glad we had 2 nights in Vancouver. It is a really neat town. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. There is so much to see and do there, we can't wait to go back again. We actually stayed in Burnaby, by Metrotown, and it was a short rail ride to the downtown, cruise terminal, etc... It was 9 dollars for the whole day for us to run around town. Boat departure day, we just got on the rail and it was a few blocks to the terminal. If you have the chance, don't miss out on Vancouver, BC. It's well worth your time! :)

Archived