We used Dion to get us to The Baths

MPH711

Just got off the Carnival Breeze. I contacted Dion by email a few weeks prior. It took a few days but we got a response from a lady telling us to meet Dion just outside the gate at the port. She said he would depart about 1 hour after the ship arrives.

Note - that gate is not the area off the ship that is a few hundred feet away. You will need to walk about 100 yards to get to the gate area. You can just ask anyone who works there where the gate is or where Dion is located and they will tell you.

We met Dion and he had several others already there who would be going with us. He said we were waiting for one more couple. That couple came and he led us to the area his boat was in. There were about 12 people total. His boat was fast but it wasn't really a bad ride.

Our mission was to get to the Baths early and beat the ships crowd so we could take pictures without it being a zoo there. It took 30 minutes to get there and Dion took us right to the beach...thus we didn't have to take that long walk down that you will if you take the tour which includes the ferry and a taxi ride. Dion told us it would be about 45 minutes before everyone else arrives. He gave us info on the 2 beaches and said he would pick us up in 4 hours at 1pm. He arrived back at about 12:40 and everyone was there and we got aboard and went back to the ship.

I will tell you we took some amazing pictures. I will post some and you will see what I mean. I will put the link to the photos in this thread after I upload them.

It was a perfect day at the Baths and Dion did great. I know there are other reviews that people said they had problems...we had none. The Baths can be strenuous walking through the rocks and narrow passages. You also will need to climb a couple of ladders. This is not for the elderly or anyone with any mobility problems. It is a workout going through the rocks but it is really a sight to see.

I'm so glad we didn't do the ships tour and we used Dion. We saved time, didn't have to do the taxi part or the walk down. Dion charged $50 per person. You paid him after he took you back to the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You should be fine. Our ship was in till 6pm...but he said he would give us 4 hours and would pick us up at 1pm.

To get to the Baths we departed on his boat at 8:30am...took 30 minutes to get there. So we had 9am to 1pm. He returned at 12:40pm and everyone was ready to return at that time so we all boarded and were back to the ship about 1:15.

He will probably adjust your times because he usually leaves the ship about 1 hour after the ship comes in. That may mean you will be leaving for the Baths around 7:30am. When you email him you can ask any questions you have. I know I did because I didn't want to stay there all day. The 4 hours were fine.

Here is the email I used to contact him:

danddcarrental@surfbvi.com

Edited by MPH711

You should be fine. Our ship was in till 6pm...but he said he would give us 4 hours and would pick us up at 1pm.

To get to the Baths we departed on his boat at 8:30am...took 30 minutes to get there. So we had 9am to 1pm. He returned at 12:40pm and everyone was ready to return at that time so we all boarded and were back to the ship about 1:15.

He will probably adjust your times because he usually leaves the ship about 1 hour after the ship comes in. That may mean you will be leaving for the Baths around 7:30am. When you email him you can ask any questions you have. I know I did because I didn't want to stay there all day. The 4 hours were fine.

Here is the email I used to contact him:

danddcarrental@surfbvi.com

:) Thanks so much !! I've emailed him so hopefully I'll get a reply. I totally agree with you that four hours is enough...at least for me. I just wasn't sure if the tour went for the whole day but this sounds perfect! Thanks again!

Thanks for the information, review and pictures. I emailed Dion and heard back for our Celebrity Summit cruise in December. There is already a tour scheduled and we have been added.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the other (Speedys) ferry and would like to try Dion the next time. I'm wondering if you found it challenging going the opposite way thru the caves from the majority of the people. When we were there, it seemed like only a handful of people were coming thru from the beach and because it's so tight it was almost impossible for those people to get past us who were going the opposite direction? I hope this question isn't confusing. I would rather be dropped at the beach by Dion and walk thru but then do we have to make it all the way back thru to get picked up by Dion for the return?

Edited by bellaboom

I took the other (Speedys) ferry and would like to try Dion the next time. I'm wondering if you found it challenging going the opposite way thru the caves from the majority of the people. When we were there, it seemed like only a handful of people were coming thru from the beach and because it's so tight it was almost impossible for those people to get past us who were going the opposite direction? I hope this question isn't confusing. I would rather be dropped at the beach by Dion and walk thru but then do we have to make it all the way back thru to get picked up by Dion for the return?

When Dion dropped us off he said we would have 45 minutes before others would arrive. We did not meet up with those from the ship till we just reached the other beach after going thru the rocks. The people who just got there were staying on the beach and around the area instead of going right to the rocks to get to the other beach...where we just came from.

Once we got to the beach where others were we walked up the path to the top where we took some pictures and looked at a couple shops...then we asked how we get back to the other beach so that we will be back to the area where Dion will pick us up. We wanted to go down a path (and not through the rocks). The guard at the gate showed us the path and we started our walk. It's a pretty good hike down and once again will say this is not a tour for anyone with difficulty walking. Once we made it to the original beach that we were dropped off at there were not a lot of people there. Since we didn't really spend anytime on the beach when we got here originally (because we wanted to go through the rocks and take pictures without a lot of people around) we stayed here the rest of the time mainly in the water and taking many picture while in the water.

If you look at the pictures I posted and start at the beginning, they are all in order and you will notice the first few pictures are when we arrived, then going thru the rocks, then at the other beach, then after we hiked up the path and took pictures, and then back to the other beach where we started.

Thanks MPH711...... this is exactly the information I was needing. I was there in March and I am heading back there this December. I was very satisfied with Speedy's but I just wanted to try something different next time. This Dion way seems to be a better way to go. As I said, by the time we arrived with Speedy's, it was jammed packed full with people and my pictures do not look like yours at all. All mine have tons of people (I don't know) in them. We did the exact opposite route. We walked up the path after going thru the rocks to get to our taxi to get back to the ferry.

For anybody reading this that has not experienced these baths.... this is a 'do not miss' adventure! You will love this one!

For those with longer port times I also recommend hitting Savannah or Spring Bay on VG first to let the larger excursion group get through the Baths. Just another option, and Savannah and Spring Bays are gorgeous and there are also snorkeling options if desired. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update on using Dion!!!!

We used Dion for our way to the baths on Oct 17. I have nothing negative at all to say about using him!

BUT

The government roped off the beach he usually drops people off at, so we had to be taken to the same dock that Speedys goes to and take a taxi to the baths, and walk up and down to get to and from them. (I wasn't very happy about this since this was one of the main reasons we went with Dion, but I understand, not his fault.) If I was to guess why this happened it would be that the government wants it's money, because when we got there we had to pay the entrance fee.... another thing that wasn't expected! Now, Dion did take care of the taxi, so that wasn't an issue.

Was everyone happy that we went with Dion in our group... Yes

because even though we still had to do what almost everyone else does, we were one of the very first people to get there!!! And that made it worth it! Especially when all the people going through the baths stirs up the water and it loses a little bit of it's beauty.

Update on using Dion!!!!

We used Dion for our way to the baths on Oct 17. I have nothing negative at all to say about using him!

BUT

The government roped off the beach he usually drops people off at, so we had to be taken to the same dock that Speedys goes to and take a taxi to the baths, and walk up and down to get to and from them. (I wasn't very happy about this since this was one of the main reasons we went with Dion, but I understand, not his fault.) If I was to guess why this happened it would be that the government wants it's money, because when we got there we had to pay the entrance fee.... another thing that wasn't expected! Now, Dion did take care of the taxi, so that wasn't an issue.

Was everyone happy that we went with Dion in our group... Yes

because even though we still had to do what almost everyone else does, we were one of the very first people to get there!!! And that made it worth it! Especially when all the people going through the baths stirs up the water and it loses a little bit of it's beauty.

Wow! I'd be interested in others who book with Dion letting us know if this becomes the regular routine!

Thanks for the update!

Thinking about using Dion for the Baths. Does he require a minimum number of people to go? Looks like Speedys arrives at 9:30, how much earlier does Dion arrive? Is there enough to do fill the 4 hours there?

Edited by nautica34

You don't have to fill Dion's boat. Just email him and he will put you on the list for that sailing. He leaves about 60 minutes after your ship arrives. I think we got on his boat around 8:30am. Then of course he gets you there faster than the ferry so you will be there without everyone else being there. He can fit about 12 people or so on his boat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just tried to email Dion using the emails address provided but it didn't work. Does anyone have his current email please? We will be in Tortola on the Summit on Dec 26 and would love to go to the Baths.

Thank you!

Karen

I received an email from them in November and this is the address shown on the email from them: danddcarrental@surfbvi.com

I used that email just last week and set up a trip to the Baths for our cruise in February. We have about 10 of us from our roll call going with Dion.

Has anyone used Dion recently? Or can someone share their up coming experience when you get back? Would love to hear a new review.

• 2 weeks later...