Frontier Airlines to Fort Lauderdale?

cibumcupio

Has anyone ever flown Frontiers? We are going to for the first time from Trenton/Princeton to Fort Lauderdale this January. We were a little wary at first because they only have flights on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. But they were $400 cheaper round-trip for the two of us, and the airport is 15 minutes away from home instead of driving 1 hr to Newark or Philly.

But since it's January, we were worried that a snowstorm would strand us in New Jersey. Their website sounds pretty reassuring, that they would book you on the next available flight with another carrier and all that. Has anyone experienced how Frontiers handles these things? How soon will they get you to your destination? I'm just afraid that they will put you on THEIR next flight, which for us would be three days later.

Also our return flight is at 12:15 PM on the Saturday that our cruise gets back. We will be disembarking on the Reflection in Miami. This will be my first time in Florida, so I'm not familiar with how cruises and traffic works there. I understand that you shouldn't book a flight before noon. Would 12:15 be enough time for us to get from the Miami port to the Fort Lauderdale airport, again to fly Frontiers? Do we need to choose a certain type of transportation to get there on time? Like a taxi or something instead of the shuttles? Or would anything be okay?

You may wish to also post this on the Cruise Air Board to get more input on this airline.

Regardless of who you are flying, are you flying in the day before your cruise because if not you are really risking missing the ship should there be any kind of major delay.

The issue if they cancel the flight is that the other flights might be already booked as so many flights nowadays are full so I really would not count on that.

As to the return 12:15 PM might work but it might not. You just never know.

In the end this comes down to how you handle stress. For me I would fly in a couple of days early and I would be leery about taking a flight on an airline which doesn't have other alternatives and does not fly everyday, particularly when you are trying to take a cruise.

No one can predict if things go bad that day how things will turn out for you.

Keith

Thanks! I didn't know there was a Cruise Air Board. So we are actually flying in on Wednesday for that reason. It was a bit earlier than we would have liked (DH missing work and all that), would have preferred Thursday or Friday flight down. But since we've both never been to Florida, we Starwood points-ed a beach hotel for our pre-cruise stay and we're not looking back. And I for one do not complain about having to take a 10 day vacation to get cheaper airfare :D

I am glad to hear that you are flying in early. That is very good.

This link will take you to the cruise air board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

I would ask questions related to peoples experience with the airline when a flight is cancelled and anything else relevant to their customer service.

Good luck with all of this and it is nice that you are making this a ten day vacation. Florida in January can be very nice, as is getting away from the Northeast in the Winter.

Keith

Archived