Breakaway Beverage Package Advisory

Tralfie

So, I'm more than a little bit annoyed right now, to be honest.

Unless I cancel — which I might, at this point — I'm set to sail on the Breakaway on March 2, 2014. This is a birthday present to myself. As part of it, my best friend wanted to buy me the Ultimate Beverage Package so that I wouldn't have to worry about how much I'm spending during the trip on alcohol and soda.

Turns out that the UBP is NOT available from March 1 to March 15th because of Spring Breakers.

Apparently, the fact that they are irresponsible and/or drink too much on the UBP means that I, as a 50 year old man, can also not be trusted.

When I began booking this trip nearly six months ago, i spoke to several NCL reps and was assured the UBP would be available, no problem. Because I knew my friend wanted to get this package for me as a birthday present (and because I knew it would save some money), I booked this particular trip on these particular dates (allowing me to celebrate my birthday at sea).

Frankly, I think it's beyond ridiculous that Norweigian punishes everyone because of the behavior of spring breakers. I'm seriously considering canceling this trip rather than have to spend the entire voyage worrying that I'm spending too much on alcohol and soda.

Richard/Tralfie

You could have your friend plop the $800 or so down as a room credit, and then you wouldn't have to worry about the first $800 of your bar tab. The package has to be purchased for all adult occupants of the cabin, so you can't just have it for one of the people in a particular cabin.

I agree with you.

Some people ruin things for everyone, but alas, that is the way these days.

Perhaps your BFF would be kind enough to pay your bar bill up to the amount that the UBP would have been.

That's still a lot of swillin' ;)

NCL also accepts. US Traveler's checks for deposit on your onboard account, BFF could give you one for the amount UBP would have been.

Have a great birthday cruise!

That is really ridiculous! Sorry it's happening to you, it would make much more sense on NCL's part to restrict it by age rather than restrict it completely.

And the discrimination lawsuits would also make much more sense on NCL's part? :D

In fact the package is not available from 1st March to 15th April:mad: See the following extract from NCL's terms and conditions:

"These packages are not available on the following sailings:

1 and 2 days sailings

Charter sailings

During Spring Break 1 March and 15 April

On the Pride of America.

For individual Children’s Soda Programmes or Adult & Teen Programmes, that are not required by all stateroom guests, packages are available. Click here for more details.

Norwegian encourages the responsible use of alcohol and accordingly reserves the right to permanently or temporarily revoke the drinking privileges of any guest who violates Norwegian’s Guest Code of Conduct or who is deemed a danger to himself, herself or others by vessel management. Continued abuse of alcohol while sailing and/or violation of Norwegian’s alcohol policy may result in immediate disembarkation."

We were caught out with this on a European cruise on the Spirit this April and will be again next March. That said we drank all we wanted to and fell well within theUBP cost so no problem:)

You could have your friend plop the $800 or so down as a room credit, and then you wouldn't have to worry about the first $800 of your bar tab. The package has to be purchased for all adult occupants of the cabin, so you can't just have it for one of the people in a particular cabin.

I'm actually traveling solo, so it wouldn't be $800. But again, why should my friend have to "plop" $800" simply because I was given bad information? That wouldn't make me much of a friend! LOL

I was on the Breakaway last week, a woman trying to climb from one balcony to the next fell and landed on the lifeboats. The ship had to get to Bermuda as fast as possible to get her medical attention.

Now the odds of this type of behavior happening increase dramatically during spring break because do not know when something is a bad idea, just go on youtube and search.

They cannot discriminate, this is how they protect people from themselves.

Change your dates you with he much happier not traveling during march break.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

Since the UBP has been available the disclaimer has been posted that it is not available during spring break. The dates have been standard since it started.

I thought that you booked this through your TA? If that's the case I would be discussing this with them?

Unless I cancel — which I might, at this point — I'm set to sail on the Breakaway on March 2, 2014. This is a birthday present to myself. As part of it, my best friend wanted to buy me the Ultimate Beverage Package so that I wouldn't have to worry about how much I'm spending during the trip on alcohol and soda.

Turns out that the UBP is NOT available from March 1 to March 15th because of Spring Breakers.

Apparently, the fact that they are irresponsible and/or drink too much on the UBP means that I, as a 50 year old man, can also not be trusted.

When I began booking this trip nearly six months ago, i spoke to several NCL reps and was assured the UBP would be available, no problem. Because I knew my friend wanted to get this package for me as a birthday present (and because I knew it would save some money), I booked this particular trip on these particular dates (allowing me to celebrate my birthday at sea).

Frankly, I think it's beyond ridiculous that Norweigian punishes everyone because of the behavior of spring breakers. I'm seriously considering canceling this trip rather than have to spend the entire voyage worrying that I'm spending too much on alcohol and soda.

Richard/Tralfie

I don't think it has anything at all to do with the behavior of spring breakers. Almost every venue, whether disney world, restaurants, or whatever, will cease promotions during peak season. They can make WAY more money not offering the packages during those times.

I agree with you! We always travel the week of spring break with elementary school aged kids. Neither Disney nor RCCL place restrictions on their beverage packages during spring break. In fact, NCL is the first venue that we've experienced do so. Had our group known this, we most likely would have cruised with RCCL again. We prefer to have as much as possible paid up front-including the wine/bev. packages. Oh well...

I was on the Breakaway Sept 1-8 and purchased the UP plan for $49./ Day. My wife did not have to purchase anything, nor did anyone ask me during the purchase if there were other adults in my cabin.

It was well worth it, while cruising to have 5-6 drinks during the course of a full day is not unreasonable when you take into account lounging on a sunchair, pre-dinner cocktails, wine with dinner and evening club or lounge hopping. I took many drinks back to our cabin to just sit on the balcony and enjoy the view.

The plan covers wine up to $10 / glass, Prosecco, most all beers, and top shelf drinks including Grey Goose, Kettle One, Patron, Jack Daniels etc as well as Pina Colada's and alot of specialty drinks.

There is also a Cork and Cap (CC) plan for $44./Day which covers wine and beer only.

Richard/Tralfie

Looks like everyone had the same idea I did. Pre-load your account.

I'm actually traveling solo, so it wouldn't be $800. But again, why should my friend have to "plop" $800" simply because I was given bad information? That wouldn't make me much of a friend! LOL

Your friend can deposit whatever amount they planned to spend on the drink package.

I was on the Breakaway Sept 1-8 and purchased the UP plan for $49./ Day. My wife did not have to purchase anything, nor did anyone ask me during the purchase if there were other adults in my cabin.

It was well worth it, while cruising to have 5-6 drinks during the course of a full day is not unreasonable when you take into account lounging on a sunchair, pre-dinner cocktails, wine with dinner and evening club or lounge hopping. I took many drinks back to our cabin to just sit on the balcony and enjoy the view.

The plan covers wine up to $10 / glass, Prosecco, most all beers, and top shelf drinks including Grey Goose, Kettle One, Patron, Jack Daniels etc as well as Pina Colada's and alot of specialty drinks.

There is also a Cork and Cap (CC) plan for $44./Day which covers wine and beer only.

Has this changed? Actually that would be great news, because I drink and my wife does not. We were told on the Epic in February that we had to purchase the package for all adults in the stateroom.

Can anyone validate the policy has changed fleetwide?

This was my first time using the drink plan since we were sans children, so I have no point of reference. But I got my value out of it in Spades. I would not hesitate again.

It also includes after dinner yummies such as Amaretto Di Sarona, Baileys, Chambourd, etc...

Has this changed? Actually that would be great news, because I drink and my wife does not. We were told on the Epic in February that we had to purchase the package for all adults in the stateroom.

Can anyone validate the policy has changed fleetwide?

I'd be interested to know as well b/c my DH doesn't drink very often but I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine. When I search on the NCL website though, it still says everyone in a stateroom must take the package. So.... I guess we wait for an answer..

I just can't imagine this big a change without a drum roll ... so to speak.

:)

This is not an unreasonable policy. This is not just a cost preventive measure, but one that helps protect the overall experience and safety of the cruise. I can imagine the OP posting upon his return that the cruise was ruined by rowdy and obnoxious cruisers who clearly drank too much.

Life is short and the journey is long. Relax and only worry about truly important things.

I hope you have a wonderful birthday.

Archived