Platinum/Diamond - "Free" drink... why limited?

Tom-n-Cheryl

I guess times have changed, at least on most mainstream cruise lines. Not saying it's better or worse, just that things have changed.

Always liked having the same table for all three meals but understood why they stopped that.

Some changes are good some not so good but it is sad that the elegance of cruising is gone.

Doing our first Princess cruise next year and very interested to see the difference. On a per day cost price is very close to what we are paying on the Liberty next week.

Always liked having the same table for all three meals but understood why they stopped that.

Some changes are good some not so good but it is sad that the elegance of cruising is gone.

Doing our first Princess cruise next year and very interested to see the difference. On a per day cost price is very close to what we are paying on the Liberty next week.

I understand too - society has changed, so the cruise lines have changed with it.

Have a great cruise on the Liberty! Love that ship :) My mom has cruised on Princess many times, and always had a great time. Hope you do too.

Really. When I started cruising, I had my own assigned table for three meals, with the same servers for all three meals.

And since then the MDR, on CCL at least, has seen a decline on MDR guests for breakfast and lunch. Giving more options and longer hours is a way to bring more people in.

I understand too - society has changed, so the cruise lines have changed with it.

Have a great cruise on the Liberty! Love that ship :) My mom has cruised on Princess many times, and always had a great time. Hope you do too.

We have wanted to do a European cruise for some time and found a very nice TA on Princess and so far roll call seems awesome.

You can also just walk just inside the MDR at lunchtime and catch a waiter, and he'll go get your drink. Saw a whole group in their bathing suits and cover ups doing this (figured they came down from the pool for their free drink).

So if there are ways around it, they should just make it ANY BAR...

We went to the MDR before 1:00 and stopped at the little bar set-up that they had outside the door. They accepted our coupons and brought us Chocolate Mocha Getaway.

I'm guessing that, by limiting the free drinks to times and places when a lot of people generally don't drink, they are greatly decreasing the number of free drinks that they'll be giving out.

Personally, I wouldn't drag my butt to breakfast to the MDR just to get a free drink. But I'm sure there's people out there who may consider the $7 savings well worth the hassle.

Free drink or no free drink, we love the concept of brunch because it means we can eat breakfast in the MDR without waking up early on sea days. I really dislike the set-up on Lido for breakfasts...one line for omelets, another for bacon, etc. I'd much rather be served my morning meal and with the brunch concept in the MDR, we can sleep in and still enjoy eggs benedict brought to our table. The fact that they are throwing in a free bloody mary is just a bonus!!

We are not fans of the lunches on Carnival, so for us, it's breakfast in the MDR and then late seating dinner!!

. . . That limitation, to me at least, seems like unnecessary "fine print" - making Carnival appear, dare I say, CHEAP!

Sometimes (though not always) . . . Perception = Reality

OK, getting past that . . . If you're going past that mid-ship dining room during its breakfast hours, look through the windows of Touch Of Class Piano Bar and see if one of the dining room bar runners is in there (since that's where the drinks are actually being made, and the receipts are being run/printed). Co-workers have had success with this in the somewhat recent past, since they chose not to do their breakfast in the dining room.

Bon Voyage to you both for a quick spin on Carnival Sensation. Your sailaway views might be a wee bit less than we had last week. Just pretend that Fish Lips is Lady Liberty, and that all those bodies mingling around the Lido pool create an amazing Manhattan skyline. :D

Sometimes (though not always) . . . Perception = Reality

OK, getting past that . . . If you're going past that mid-ship dining room during its breakfast hours, look through the windows of Touch Of Class Piano Bar and see if one of the dining room bar runners is in there (since that's where the drinks are actually being made, and the receipts are being run/printed). Co-workers have had success with this in the somewhat recent past, since they chose not to do their breakfast in the dining room.

Bon Voyage to you both for a quick spin on Carnival Sensation. Your sailaway views might be a wee bit less than we had last week. Just pretend that Fish Lips is Lady Liberty, and that all those bodies mingling around the Lido pool create an amazing Manhattan skyline. :D

Lady Liberty... GOT IT! (probably won't take as many photos of Fish Lips though :D)

Thanks Don

I agree that the limitation is a bit annoying, but you do not have to go to the brunch. Just go to the dining room and tell them that you want your free drink and they will give it to you (whatever you want.) In fact, on the Sensation, they had a separate table for the people who were waiting for their drinks

Wow!! People love to complain about free stuff.

Feel free to pay 40% more and sail X. Or 20% more for RC or 100% more for Disney.

I booked a 5 day Cozumel KW on 3/3/14 on X Constellation was 20 more than a 4 day same ports on CCL and X threw in a free Classic Booze program this is for balcony cabins :D

Archived