'On your own' cruise excursions Haifa to Jerusalem?

Milltowngirl

So, aware that some cruise lines offer 'on your own' transport only excursions in some european ports where the port may be a distance from the 'attraction'. Wondered whether anyone who had stopped in Haifa port recently knew whether these were available for Jerusalem from Haifa? Specifically on MSC. We dont like organised tours as just like to DIY normally, however my OH is a bit worried about security issues with travelling alone in Israel and so I thought a cruise lines organised travel may be a good option. Thanks

Another reason to take a ships transportation is you do not want to miss the ship. On one of our last visits that included a ships tour to Jerusalem, some of the roads back to the ship were blocked by protesters. A few buses arrived back late. While the ship will wait for it's own tour buses to return, they will not wait for late arriving private tours. So if you take your own transportation, don't arrive back late.

Another reason to take a ships transportation is you do not want to miss the ship. On one of our last visits that included a ships tour to Jerusalem, some of the roads back to the ship were blocked by protesters. A few buses arrived back late. While the ship will wait for it's own tour buses to return, they will not wait for late arriving private tours. So if you take your own transportation, don't arrive back late.

We are lucky in that respect as we have an overnight in port so there would be no worry about not getting back in time unless it takes overnight to get back!

So, aware that some cruise lines offer 'on your own' transport only excursions in some european ports where the port may be a distance from the 'attraction'. Wondered whether anyone who had stopped in Haifa port recently knew whether these were available for Jerusalem from Haifa? Specifically on MSC. We dont like organised tours as just like to DIY normally, however my OH is a bit worried about security issues with travelling alone in Israel and so I thought a cruise lines organised travel may be a good option. Thanks

Our ship did not have a transport only to Jerusalem. However DIY is possible with a combo train to Tel Aviv and then bus to Jerusalem. Takes some time so it is best to get a room in Jerusalem for the night. Also some ships move to Ashdod overnight. If your interested I can provide more info and the "ins and out's" of doing such an excursion DIY.

MSC is not supplying shuttle service from Haifa Port to Jerusalem or to any other places.

If you are coming on the MSC and staying overnight, most likely that your ship is leaving at noon time the next day.

In that case I don’t think that an overnight DIY is worth the extra cost of the accommodation in Jerusalem since you will have to leave Jerusalem very early the day after.

Best way to get to Jerusalem is to take a train to Tel Aviv and from there a bus. The train station in Haifa is just at the exit from the passengers’ terminal. In Tel Aviv get off at station Savidor Central. As you come out of the station, on your right, you have Arlozorov CBS from where you can take a bus to Jerusalem.

Getting back you can even take the last bus to Haifa, around 22:00.

As for security, there is no problem what so ever!

Yes you are right we have 1.5 days in port at Haifa so we wouldnt stay overnight in Jerusalem as would just cause stress the next morning having to get back to port. However neither is OH convinced on the train-bus combo just for a few hours. Think will play it by ear and decide once on board... embark Friday cannot wait!

There is no direct train connection between Haifa and Jerusalem. You need to switch trains in Tel Aviv. The transfer time is not too bad, but the whole journey still takes around 2h40min. . In Haifa you take the train at Haifa Center Ha-Shmona train station, within walking distance of the cruise port. You can check the train timetalbe in advance. Once in Jerusalem you best get off at the 2nd station, Jerusalem Malha. There you can take bus N° 4 till Emek Refa'im / Gan Ha-Pa'amon bus stop, within walking distance of the Old City.

By public bus, there are 2 options. The regular bus and express bus. They each leave from a different bus terminal. These are far apart. Both are located near a train station.

Regular bus

From the Merkazit Khof Ha-Karmel bus terminal , you can take bus N° 940 to Jerusalem. The journey takes just over 2 hours . Check the bus timetable in advance.

TIP: The last stop in Jerusalem is the central bus terminal about 2km walk from the walled old town. You can take a local bus that brings you closer. Buses N° 8, 25, 32 are just some of the possibilities.

How do I get to Merkazit Khof Ha-Karmel bus terminal from the cruise port in Haifa?

The bus terminal is located near Haifa Hof HaKarmel (Razi `el) train station. Within walking distance of the cruise port you will find the Haifa Center Ha-Shmona train station. There take the train to Hof HaKarmel. There run several trains per hour. It only takes 10 minutes . Just outside Hof HaKarmel train station you can find the bus terminal. Check the train timetable in advance.

Express bus

Bus N° 960 is an express bus between Haifa and Jerusalem. It takes less than 2 hours . There are 1-2 buses per hour. This bus departs from the Merkazit ha-Mifrats bus terminal. In Jerusalem you also arrive at the same central bus terminal where the regular bus brings you.

How do I get to Merkazit ha-Mifrats bus terminal from the cruise port in Haifa?

This bus terminal is also located near a train station, namely Lev HaMifrats. Take the train from Haifa Center Ha-Shmona. The journey takes 10 minutes . There are several trains per hour.

But just like the public buses, the Israeli trains don't run on Shabbat - from sundown on Friday to nightfall of Saturday

Several years ago, I arranged an independent overnite excursion from Haifa, driving to Jerusalem/ Dead Sea/ Tel Aviv embarking the ship at Ashdod. Even though you have 1.5 days, I offer this since driving is easy in Israel and with a GPS device it's easier. If you are concerned about the second day you can get up early and drive back to Haifa and tour Haifa or Acco, a lovely area.The main roads are great. The only caveat, is you need to do your research on the exact days in Israel. The best traveling day is Friday PM and Saturday. Traffic is intense between Tele Aviv and Jerusalem and rush hours are as bad as in the States.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments everyone. We decided to go for it and did the train and bus combination, train from Haifa port to Tel Aviv and then bus from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Whole journey went really smoothly, the infrastructure there is great and journey very cheap, around £16 each return for the whole trip.Took around 2.5 he's going but coming back only 2 hours as arrived back at Tel Aviv and connected straight onto a train and traffic in evening was a bit less.

I agree with others on this forum who said Israeli's are really helpful; we had people offering help and advice re bus tickets and train stops without us asking.

Really glad we went, was one of the highlights of our cruise. Were in Jerusalem for around 7 hours and walked everywhere, all around walled city, up to Mount of Olives / Gethsemane, and in walking up Yafo (Jaffa) Street saw a little of the modern city. Some parts are quite hilly but we are two reasonably fit thirty somethings.

Would definitely recommend DIY if like us you can take advantage of an overnight in port and therefore not have to worry about possible delays

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Archived