boarding in Bangkok...late night

Hawaiidan

I have been to Bangkok only as a departing passenger form the port 130km away.

In looking at my flights for a coming cruise my flights will arrive about 1am

and I plan on heading direct via limo to the port (1.5 hours)

The ship sails at 0600 Has anyone done this?

Any problem boarding like at 3am? :o ( I have boarded in Venice at midnight but that is Europe..).

Seems a waste to take a taxi down town for a few hours and a hotel expense likewise when I can just head for the ship ( yes I have seen BKK on several trips...don't need any more)

I have been to Bangkok only as a departing passenger form the port 130km away.

In looking at my flights for a coming cruise my flights will arrive about 1am

and I plan on heading direct via limo to the port (1.5 hours)

The ship sails at 0600 Has anyone done this?

Any problem boarding like at 3am? :o ( I have boarded in Venice at midnight but that is Europe..).

Seems a waste to take a taxi down town for a few hours and a hotel expense likewise when I can just head for the ship ( yes I have seen BKK on several trips...don't need any more)

I do not know Bangkok and the boarding, but I would just be concerned I missed the ship if there was a delay in your flight. If the ship sails at 0600-6 AM- then I would think of coming in earlier the previous day and just board the ship, no hotel. Not what you wanted to hear and a little off question, but just a concern. Good luck in whatever you do.

Arriving at 1 am and the ship dosent board till 3..thats 14 hours to kill and added to 21 hours of flying/travel ( even though it will be in sleeper /business or first) that's 35 hours on the go..:eek:

Knowing Thai traffic, which can be a pain a mid-night drive should prove a snap.. It costs about the same to get to the port as it does to downtown...2200 Baht

Arriving at 1 am and the ship dosent board till 3..thats 14 hours to kill and added to 21 hours of flying/travel ( even though it will be in sleeper /business or first) that's 35 hours on the go..:eek:

Knowing Thai traffic, which can be a pain a mid-night drive should prove a snap.. It costs about the same to get to the port as it does to downtown...2200 Baht

The traffic at night is not the issue but what if you miss the connection to the BKK flight? What is your connection time to that flight?

I see the ship leaving at 05:00 (not 06:00) - making it that much tighter.

Are you arriving on day 2 of the cruise??

The boards april15 at about 3. I would be arriving between 12pm and 1am april 16 into BKK. Technically, the second day but only 10 to 12 hours after boarding, The ship sails 0500. I have only one connection in Korea and a 2 hour connection (HNL-INC-BKK)

Plan B Fly in same times but on April15 at 1 am...14 hours prior to the cruise. Stay at the JW Marriott that morning and then limo it to the port around noon after 10 hours sleep. cost is about $100 for a car and driver. The port is way the heck-and gone out of town in a really austere and remote location as I recall.

are you on this cruise?

Not on your cruise

I was just curious

i did see some of Delta flights arrive at 2305 on the 15th but then you have to see if you can get into the port area that late

I have read in some of the ports you will not be allowed in after a certain hr

Plan B could be arriving on the 14th at 2305 ..crash near the airport & board the ship later on the 15th

Well at least you have a few months to sort out your options before the flights are posted ;)

The boards april15 at about 3. I would be arriving between 12pm and 1am april 16 into BKK. Technically, the second day but only 10 to 12 hours after boarding, The ship sails 0500. I have only one connection in Korea and a 2 hour connection (HNL-INC-BKK)

2 hr connecting time for an international flight is not that long, IMO.

It certainly is enough if all goes well, but not much room for delays (and these have been known to occur from time to time, as you know :D)

Too close for my comfort - YMMV.

2 hr connecting time for an international flight is not that long, IMO.

It certainly is enough if all goes well, but not much room for delays (and these have been known to occur from time to time, as you know :D)

Too close for my comfort - YMMV.

Yes your right...I am trying to be cheap with my miles.

Found an option C

Fly on the13 HNL to INC business on Asiana and have a 15 hour layover. Inchon has a fantastic in airport transit hotel and in transit recreation center.. . Then on the 14th fly to BKK on Thai in Business with a nice rest in the middle arrive BKK noon on the 14th... all for 37,000 miles.. not 80 or100. Gotta stick with star alliance I have tons of Marriott points so BKK will cost me only cab fare airport to hotel and hotel to ship the next day. Lots of options gotta do the best overall

We boarded late on second day of our Nautica cruise in March in Beijing. We were already in town, so late flights were not an issue. Our TA notified them and they were expecting us around midnight. Huge mixup with port location ( we were not the only ones who had wrong location) and we finally got onboard at 2 am. No problems at all, once we found the ship!

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived