Formal Night Attire

Den53

Me too. I was coming out of the wheelhouse heading to our cabin to get changed and someone make a snarky comment. She got an earful back.

I didn't hear snarky comments but I did see some woman giving me a snarky look a few cruises ago as we were coming in from the pool. It was 6 PM, and I had to restrain myself from asking why she was giving us a dirty look, considering we had the late seating (if she had answered because we weren't dressed properly). I certainly wouldn't even look sideways at someone who isn't dressed up, knowing that some people are planning to eat elsewhere, and that's a legitimate choice for them.

We were just on the Caribbean Princess and on the formal nights the dress code in the dining room appeared to be more of a suggestion than anything that was strictly enforced. There were some tuxes, the majority appeared to be suit/coat and tie, some dress shirts (with and without ties) and neat pants as well as jeans and casual shirts. Except for seeing someone being asked to remove his baseball cap, no one on the dining room staff seemed to be concerned about how anyone was dressed.

Little people with little minds worry about what others are wearing or doing. I just ignore them for what they are. As for enforcing any dress code on Princess or the other cruise lines I have sailed, it does not seem to be their highest priority as long as it does not get too far out of hand. Formal night as they once were thirty or more years ago has gone to the same place that people used to dress up to fly on an airplane. Times are always changing.

If you don't wear at least a sports coat, preferably with tie, on formal night you are going to look like a weirdo. But chances are no one will tell you that to your face. Many people take pride in being non-conformists, and so their suitcase magically shrinks so that it can't possible hold a sports coat or one of those great, big, giant neckties that take up so much room.

I have a hard time understanding the way some people treat wearing a coat and/or tie as if it was a daunting task roughly equivalent to climbing Mt. Everest. It's not. Here's how it's done. First you put the shirt on and then you put your pants on and tuck the shirt in. Then you put on the necktie. Then you put on the jacket. Under no circumstances whatsoever is the jacket to come off during dinner. That's all there is to it.

Now is it that hard?

I think we have two different things here, we have what's written and then we have reality. I'd be willing to bet that if you told anyone working in the MDR that you planned on skipping formal night because you only had a long sleeved shirt and a tie and no jacket, everyone would tell you to still come.

Agreed. I was just posting what the Patter says. I've seen lots of people dressed in everything from tuxes to just a regular long sleeved shirt and tie. As I've mentioned before, I don't ever wear a tie on a cruise nowadays, so I skip the MDR on formal nights.

As for the rest of the ship on formal night, I've shown up in clean nice jeans at Sabatini's and Crown Grill and no one seemed to care, but then too the dress code (suggestions) don't really apply there.

Little people with little minds worry about what others are wearing or doing..... Formal night as they once were thirty or more years ago has gone to the same place that people used to dress up to fly on an airplane. Times are always changing.

Well said! Unfortunately some folks still have not received the message.;)

Not always....We had a woman (who was formally dressed) in the elevator make snide comments to us (casually dressed) as we made our way to the buffet.

"I only care about the opinion of people I respect"

...is always a nice reply in a situation like this.

If you are really familiar with true formality then you know it more dress-up night than formal. Clothes from Ross are not formal, mostly cheap and promish. Here is a reality check, if they started to enforce formal, most of the passengers with clothes from Ross would be kicked out. A prom dress on a ova da hill female can be downright tacky, along with elastic waist polyester pants on granny, yet no one complains.

LOL, I would never consider someone wearing most of the outfits (Ross) I have seen on cruises as formal and some barely dressing up, though looking lovely.

Got $600 Hart Shafner Marx like new from re-sail store for $20. Wear it to church/cruises, does not matter where it came from if it is nice!

If you don't wear at least a sports coat, preferably with tie, on formal night you are going to look like a weirdo. But chances are no one will tell you that to your face. Many people take pride in being non-conformists, and so their suitcase magically shrinks so that it can't possible hold a sports coat or one of those great, big, giant neckties that take up so much room.

I have a hard time understanding the way some people treat wearing a coat and/or tie as if it was a daunting task roughly equivalent to climbing Mt. Everest. It's not. Here's how it's done. First you put the shirt on and then you put your pants on and tuck the shirt in. Then you put on the necktie. Then you put on the jacket. Under no circumstances whatsoever is the jacket to come off during dinner. That's all there is to it.

Now is it that hard?

I really love how some people think those who do nt conform to their way of doing things are idiots, stupid or "look like weirdos". Then go on to explain things to others in simple child like ways as if that is how they can get others to conform to their way of doing things.

No one is trying to get anyone to understand why they do not like to wear suit and ties, want to take items they are not going to wear in their suitcase or want to be as comfortable as possible under the Cruise line allowances. Sorry but many do not care what others think or how they do things or where they can buy an item. And most off all they do not care for other people to try and control what they do on a cruise ship. So the best thing to do is for posters to tell people WHAT PRINCESS PERMITS ON FORMAL NIGHT and quit trying to push your personnal desires on others. Otherwise these type of discussion will go on and on every time someone asks about what to where on formal night. The answer should be made into a sticky and then all can just refer others to it.

NOW IS THAT SO HARD?

Most people inquire about the dress code, even though they know what Princess wishes, to see if enough people go without a jacket so they won't feel uncomfortable being in a minority.

I have seen a few people step out of the dining room line when they found themselves in a sea of jackets. The wives were embarrassed and a couple of them obviously angry they were misinformed.

The fair thing to do here is let everone read the patter statement that was recently posted, the cruise answer book page, and then tell them what the majority does and then what you "get a way with". This way there will be no embarrassing moments to those this issue matters to.

I really love how some people think those who do nt conform to their way of doing things are idiots, stupid or "look like weirdos". Then go on to explain things to others in simple child like ways as if that is how they can get others to conform to their way of doing things.

No one is trying to get anyone to understand why they do not like to wear suit and ties, want to take items they are not going to wear in their suitcase or want to be as comfortable as possible under the Cruise line allowances. Sorry but many do not care what others think or how they do things or where they can buy an item. And most off all they do not care for other people to try and control what they do on a cruise ship. So the best thing to do is for posters to tell people WHAT PRINCESS PERMITS ON FORMAL NIGHT and quit trying to push your personnal desires on others. Otherwise these type of discussion will go on and on every time someone asks about what to where on formal night. The answer should be made into a sticky and then all can just refer others to it.

NOW IS THAT SO HARD?

I'm glad you wrote this post. I've canceled two responses which just weren't suitable for polite company (or even this forum). Your post very nicely captured what I wanted to say. Bravo!