Ft Lauderdale ?'s

wcolucci

Hi all,

We're still trying to get things straight for a 9/10 sailing on the Zuid befre we book. Problem we're having is a the timing of the airlines means we'll have to get to FLL a day early and probably stay an extra day. The only flight that would get us to FLL in time for the cruise would leave at 6:30+/-...meaning a 4:00 am departure from home...can you say cranky baby?...(& wife). Same w/ return flight ..we'd get home to Syracuse by 11ish pm...can you say cranky husband??

Soooo where to stay I guess is the question. Any suggestions for a nice hotel??

I would also highly recommend priceline. Before you try priceline, please read these two web sites, they are extremely helpful: http://www.biddingforfun.com and http://www.biddingfortravel.com Just so you know upfront, on priceline, you are bidding for hotel rooms. Once your bid is accepted, you will find out which hotel accepted your bid, your charge card is charged immediately and you cannot cancel your reservation. I know, sounds scarey, I know it did to me at first as well. I finally gave it a try, I like to bid 3* downtown and have gotten the Marriott Hotel and Marina twice, once for $52 for a weekday stay and this past March $75 for a Saturday night stay. This is a beautiful hotel and I am hoping to get the same hotel for next Feb. stay.

Hope this helps.

I second using Priceline. Just bid 3* hotel in downtown Fort Lauderdale. You can check winning bids for your dates on biddingfortravel.com. For September, I would start at $50 and increase by $2 every 3 days (you need to wait 72 hours before you can bid for same area and level).

By the way, arriving early is not a bad thing. I would never consider flying embarkation day. Did it once and my wife had no luggage for three days.

Also, in September, good chance of hurricanes. Make sure you buy travel insurance to cover this. Yes, you will get your money back if cruise is cancelled, but you won't get your airfare or hotel back.

We are cruising in August, so we have the same problems.

Even without cranky Baby ... I would NOT NOT NOT go the day of the cruise!

While Sept is not SNOW yet up north .. it can be thunderstorms down south. Granted your departing flight would overnight at your local airport .. but I assume you will be connecting. The thought of MISSING a cruise because of delayed flights is NOT worth it! Then you ALL would be cranky!

Same issue with the return. Check with the cruise line of what is the earliest time you can schedule a flight. Sometimes in FLL it is noon-ish or 10:30am (I cannot recall but those times ring a bell). I think I was booked on a noonish flight but got off the ship early ... only to have to wait for my luggage (tagged for later group) .. then I grabbed cab to the airport and got confirmed on the early flight (one person with top tier status .. vs a family).

For your pre-cruise consider a hotel near the airport with shuttle to the pier. For post-cruise .. consider something on the beach (or even MIA). There it would be possible to rent a car that final day and drive someplace and enjoy the time without being tied to near-port hotels.

In any case .. ENJOY!

Another thing to consider is the lines at the airport, they are just terrible on cruise days. Had to take the IL's to the airport on a Saturday morning recently and the busloads of returning and incoming cruise passengers had lines going out the doors, to say nothing of the lines for curb side check in. You will be much better off and more relaxed coming the day before and leaving the day after.

Embassy Suites is nice but showing it's age - you might not care for just one night. The full breakfast is very good and don't forget the free cocktail hour!(may only be during the week) The best part is it's location, within walking distance to a nice Mexican place, Outback Steakhouse, DoughBoys (!) and there is a shopping center with a large grocery store right behind the hotel. Any last minute items you need are right there.

We're going on the 9/3 Zuiderdam, we'll leave the lights on for you! :D

Hi all,

We're still trying to get things straight for a 9/10 sailing on the Zuid befre we book. Problem we're having is a the timing of the airlines means we'll have to get to FLL a day early and probably stay an extra day. The only flight that would get us to FLL in time for the cruise would leave at 6:30+/-...meaning a 4:00 am departure from home...can you say cranky baby?...(& wife). Same w/ return flight ..we'd get home to Syracuse by 11ish pm...can you say cranky husband??

Soooo where to stay I guess is the question. Any suggestions for a nice hotel??

I agree with the poster who said the day before is better in the long run. I gave in to the wife's wishes on our Zuiderdam cruise last month and booked air down on the same day as the cruise - being a travel geek, I checked our flight every day up to the cruise...right on time. The day we were to leave however, it was a different story...plane was delayed an hour because of weather in NYC. When it got to Kansas City, there was a mechanical problem. We finally touched down in FLL at 4:00 p.m., claimed our bags, caught a cab and were thankfully on the ship at 4:45. The ship left at 5:00. You'll appreciate the stress relief hotel charge provides you.

Thanks everyone for the great advice, just spoke w/ my wife who now is on board for a nice lazy day before and after.....but now concerned about the hurricanes....aaaaaaaarggggghhhhh!!! TOO MUCH INFO CC'ers!!!! :-)

I told her that while HAL is concerned w/ OUR safety, they probably have a bit more concern for their multi million dollar ship....

So now, tell me how to guarentee no hurricane.

I can't blame her as I guess even if we steer around one it would be pretty choppy...

So now, tell me how to guarentee no hurricane.

Everyday when you get up, look in the mirror and say "There will be no hurricanes on my cruise" 15 times. :D Hey, worked for me for our beach wedding!

Hi - I can highly recommend the Tower rooms at the Pier 66. We always request (and receive) a room on a high floor overlooking the port. We like watching sailaway from our balcony and getting up early to see the ships come into port. The view is superlative. We also enjoy heading up to the Pier Top Lounge at the top of the tower and enjoying the 360 view and a cocktail to unwind after our travels.

Hi - I can highly recommend the Tower rooms at the Pier 66. We always request (and receive) a room on a high floor overlooking the port. We like watching sailaway from our balcony and getting up early to see the ships come into port. The view is superlative. We also enjoy heading up to the Pier Top Lounge at the top of the tower and enjoying the 360 view and a cocktail to unwind after our travels.

Watching the cruise ships is great in the Winter. Not much to see during the summer. Usually only the Zuiderdam and Caribbean Princess in port. Sometimes a RCCL ship, but most RCCL and Carnivore ships leave from Miami.

We to are sailing Sept 10th, flying down from Toronto on Friday the 9th, staying at the Riverside Inn.. Haven't stayed there before, we stayed at the Wydnam and it was okay, nothing special. The Riverside is more centrally located, but no shuttle.

I have a few recommendations

Of the major downtown hotels the Marriott Marina, Rennaissance and Embassy Suites are all good. Amerisuites is a good second teir option.

If you can't get a downtown hotel, an option I recently took advantage of is the La Quinta Airport. It's not really that close to the airport but it did have a free shuttle to the airport and the port, plus a free continental breakfast. Was about a 10-20 min walk to a large outdoor shopping mall containing a ton of chain and other resturants, kmart, home depot, old navy, Barnes and Noble, dave and busters, movie theaters, etc. A nice lakeside 2 star hotel in a desidely 2 star neighborhood, but it was a bargain and I would stay there again. If you strike out on priceline, and don't need to be in a 3-4 star place with room service, this is a definite option.

Do any of these hotels allow you to leave your vehicle until the cruise is over?

I have a five hour drive, would prefer to stay in a hotel if they will allow the car to stay as it would be as cheap as leaving it at the pier. Any tips on that?

Thanks in advance, Vic

Oh we are going mid-October so any bidding tips for that time of the year?

I'd guess that most of the hotels mentioned would have an 800 phone number. Considering that you want to leave your car safely and securely parked, I'd want to speak directly to someone in authority who can give me a definite yes or no that can be relied upon. Too often someone working on commission will say 'yes' to anything - they somehow sense its what you want to hear. Good luck! :)

Amerisuites has free parking if you stay there pre-cruise and there is a shuttle to the port. Parking is unsecured and the hotel is one block off 17th Street. I would not call it secure and we would not leave our car there, but others have w/out incident.

Embassy Suites is $6/day in their valet attended lot. It is directly on 17th Street and I feel it is as secure as any hotel lot could be. They do have a shuttle to the port.

We park at the Port Everglades Parking Deck- $12/day. It is a covered multi-level deck, directly across from the HAL Terminal, very convenient- drop your luggage and park. On disembarking, walk across the road to get your car, pick up spouse and luggage and you are on the Interstate in minutes. It is entirely secure as all cars going into the Port must go through a security checkpoint and the Terminal area is heavily patrolled by police. We feel it is worth the price for security and convenience.

We are staying at the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, If prices u consider then forget about it, We got a Grand Deluxe Suite for around 400 a nite, but i saw some for 139 a nite, Were staying there Through labor day weekend, But I have heard good things about, Plus like the sight says, Its a Sight to behold

In late Nov 05 we stayed at Sleep Inn in Dania (new) -- VERY NICE -- offers FREE SHUTTLE from airport to hotel & then to pier -- shopping center across the street with 2-3 restaurants, grocery, liquor store -- Walgreens on other side of hotel, etc. I had booked 4 rooms & I think I paid under $75/room then. Sleep Inn is part of Comfort chain!! We stayed at Comfort Inn on Stirling probably 4-5 times before cruises since 2000 -- room conditions went down each year. What was great about Comfort Inn was the friendly pool-side bar/bartendar & the enhanced breakfast (omlettes made to order poolside).

I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND you book the Sleep Inn!! Think price was under $80 last Nov.

Hi there wcolucci, My dw and I will be with you on the Zuid 9/10! We are staying at the Marriott, free transportation from the airport and to the pier. It is $20 more than the sleep inn though.

Also, check out the 9/10 zuiderdam roll call thread on the hal roll call board and you can meet some other fine folks you will be sailing with. :rolleyes:

Archived