Greenwich Man Missing From Cruise Ship

OMG--that's horrible--I do hope they locate him. Always a little fearful of that' date=' someone joking around, etc falling over.[/quote']

Sorry, I don't worry about falling overboard at all ever. You have to try to accomplish this, and therefore it doesn't really merit any worry at all. Now falling off a 30 foot sailboat at sea, that is another matter...;)

jc

Makes you wonder why the wife did not report him missing or did I miss that.

Cannot understand why anyone would want to leave a cruise ship. I could live there forever and never leave.

Sorry....My symphathies to the family. What a horrible death that would be falling into the ocean.

The following site has all the facts about events that happen at sea. Just thought I would pass it on to all of you to read about this and other happenings on cruise ships. Kind of interesting.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Yikes! Its a good thing they don't put this info in the cruise brochures!

Remember when you go to that website that the person running the site has a particular axe to grind. That being said it is still an interesting site. I suspect you could say similar things about amusement parks, ariplanes hotels etc...

I had been following the Brilliance 6/29 roll call board because I am taking this cruise in October so I'm looking to see what other people will be doing, and there was a girl posting there who got married the week before the ship was sailing and taking the cruise for her honeymoon. She sounded very nice and excited about her wedding, her cruise and her new husband. They got married in Massachusetts, so I don't know if this was her or not, but my heart goes out to her if it was.

Oh absolutely,

That is what I meant, When I hear about someone falling overboard, I think it either has to be a suicide, a stupid drunken stunt or kids fooling around gone horribly wrong, or some type of foul play.

I meant that there is pretty much no possible way that you can be walking along minding your own business and just fall overboard.

Agreed - It would be Buster Keaton-esque (or Harold Lloyd-ish) for you to fall overboard on the regular decks. Maybe by stacking the deck chairs high enough? Bring you own mini-trampoline? Pogo stick?

Balcony is another issue (as we seem to agree).

Makes you wonder why the wife did not report him missing or did I miss that.

Cannot understand why anyone would want to leave a cruise ship. I could live there forever and never leave.

Sorry....My symphathies to the family. What a horrible death that would be falling into the ocean.

The worst part of all this is that the wife didn't report him missing until after they found the blood!

She thought he was with friends!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/08/nyregion/08cruise.html

I'm hoping there's something that they are leaving out. Otherwise it is too creepy for words.

Sorry about that link, I'll try copying the article:

==================

Greenwich Man Disappears From Ship on His Honeymoon

By ALISON LEIGH COWAN

Published: July 8, 2005 in the New York Times

GREENWICH, Conn., July 7 - Investigators are looking into the disappearance of a 26-year-old man from a well known Greenwich family who was last seen on his honeymoon aboard a cruise ship in the Mediterranean.

The man, George Allen Smith IV of Greenwich, "might have accidentally fallen overboard," the ship's operator, Royal Caribbean International, said in a prepared statement.

He boarded the ship, Brilliance of the Seas, in Barcelona, Spain, on June 29 for a 12-day voyage and was reported missing after the ship arrived in Kusadasi, Turkey, on Tuesday. The disappearance prompted a "complete search of the ship," said the statement, which was issued late on Wednesday.

Leslie Katz, a spokeswoman for the company, said in an interview that the Greek and Turkish Coast Guards had searched the area by air and sea, but as of Thursday afternoon had not found him.

The disappearance was first reported by Greenwich Time.

Ms. Katz said the first hint that a guest might have fallen overboard came when a passenger spotted "something unusual on top of a lifeboat" about 7 a.m. on Tuesday. An officer on board examined the substance and concluded that it might be blood, she said; crew members began a search of the ship and were unable to account for Mr. Smith.

Ms. Katz said Mr. Smith's wife, whose name was not released, had assumed her husband was with friends.

Ms. Katz said that many questions about the man's disappearance remained unanswered, but that, "if you look at the atmosphere on a ship, it's a vacation thing and people let their hair down a bit.

"It's a relaxed atmosphere," she added. "People stay up late and do all sorts of things."

In its statement, Royal Caribbean said it had notified the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the American Embassy, the Turkish police, the Greek Coast Guard and the Bahamas Maritime Authority. Royal Caribbean is based in Miami and registers its ships in the Bahamas.

Mr. Smith is the son of George and Maureen Smith, who own Cos Cob Liquor in Greenwich. Gerald Porricelli, an owner of the Food Mart store, which leases space to the liquor store, said that the younger Mr. Smith was a "handsome, likable guy who was good with customers" and who "was getting ready to take over the business" so his father could retire.

Mr. Porricelli said he was "as dumbfounded as everyone as to how this could have happened."

Mr. Smith's grandfather was a dentist and horse breeder, and his great-grandfather, his namesake, was a pitcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers and other teams who later taught math at Greenwich High School.

Family members did not respond to requests for interviews. Peter Berg, a member of the Greenwich Board of Estimate and Taxation who has shopped at the liquor store, said people had been talking about the disappearance on Thursday morning while he was in the Cos Cob library. "So the community is certainly aware and sad," he said.

The ship on which the incident took place is among the company's largest and newest ships, having taken its maiden voyage three years ago. At 962 feet in length, the ship can accommodate 2,500 guests, and it boasts amenities like a rock-climbing wall, a nine-hole miniature golf course, a half basketball court and a spa.

This sounds a bit strange to me. If I were on My Honeymoon, I don't think My Hubby would be with friends. I think this case needs a very thorough investigation. My Smpathy of course to His Family. Very Sad indeed!

I had been following the Brilliance 6/29 roll call board because I am taking this cruise in October so I'm looking to see what other people will be doing, and there was a girl posting there who got married the week before the ship was sailing and taking the cruise for her honeymoon. She sounded very nice and excited about her wedding, her cruise and her new husband. They got married in Massachusetts, so I don't know if this was her or not, but my heart goes out to her if it was.

Mary, I think it was a different couple. (Keep in mind that many couples marry in June, and many go on cruise honeymoons!) The woman you are talking about said that they live 45 minutes outside of Boston. The article in the Times said that the guy's family was expecting him to take over their liquor store in Greenwich when they retire. That's near the NY/CT state line.

This is terrible no matter who it happens to, you just don't want it to be someone you know. It's natural.

Mary, I think it was a different couple. (Keep in mind that many couples marry in June, and many go on cruise honeymoons!) The woman you are talking about said that they live 45 minutes outside of Boston. The article in the Times said that the guy's family was expecting him to take over their liquor store in Greenwich when they retire. That's near the NY/CT state line.

Thanks....I went back and reread through the 14 or so pages on that roll call till I found this girl refer to the guy by name, and finally found that it wasn't George and that they did indeed live in MA. I am sorry for whomever this happened to, but glad it wasn't that girl. The people on that cruise that were posting all sounded like a great bunch and it would be so sad if something like this happened to one of the them.

Mary, I know exactly what you mean. You really don't know everything about the people on your roll call, but once you start posting a lot, you get attached, sort of like an extended family.

And speaking of related, I will be on the Serenade THIS October - small world, isn't it? Where did you go on your cruise?

<And speaking of related, I will be on the Serenade THIS October - small world, isn't it? Where did you go on your cruise?>

We went on one of her first cruises - the repositioning cruise from Philadelphia through the Caribbean and ending in San Juan. The ship was absolutely gorgeous, and our cc group was awesome. We are still keeping in touch two years later and trying to plan a reunion cruise.

Archived