Leaving The Ship On A Roundtrip Cruise

namaste1223

The CBSA procedure would only be applicable on a Whittier to Vancouver turnaround. It is the same as doing a b/b in the Caribbean where you have to leave the ship and go thru American CBP procedures in Fort Lauderdale or Miami...you are entering a country from a foreign port and the customs folks need to zero out the ship. In the case of a Vancouver to Whittier turnaround you have cleared US CBP at Canada Place and have effectively never left the US since embarking the ship. Now if the ship did make a stop in Canada northbound that would effect things but mass market cruise lines no longer do this.

Also in Tampa on back-to-back cruises we have to get off the ship and go through immigration and then wait until the ship gets down to "zero" count before we can get back on.

Another thought: Isn't the combined itinerary Whittier-Vancouver-Whittier cruise a closed-loop cruise just like the round trip from Seattle is (this particular cruise is not booked as B2B, but as a combined itinerary round trip)? On the Seattle round trip, if you elect to remain onboard in Victoria, is it required to exit the ship just to clear customs and get right back on?

Actually, I don't mean to blow this up into a life or death situation that will ruin our cruise. At this point I'm just curious. If we decide on this particular cruise and want to relax onboard in Vancouver but they tell us we have to get off just to reboard, oh well! :rolleyes:

I understand now about customs, etc.. Thank you to all who replied! Not to beat a dead horse, but does anyone have any thoughts on the question I posed earlier (quoted above)? Nothing to lose sleep over, but now I'm curious. The cruise line told me this was booked as one cruise, not 2 cruises B2B, if it makes a difference...

My experience is that you just never know what the procedure will be like for in-transit guests.

Keith

Kind of like calling customer service with a question about OBC, etc. and receiving a different answer every time you talk to a different agent! :rolleyes:

I understand now about customs, etc.. Thank you to all who replied! Not to beat a dead horse, but does anyone have any thoughts on the question I posed earlier (quoted above)? Nothing to lose sleep over, but now I'm curious. The cruise line told me this was booked as one cruise, not 2 cruises B2B, if it makes a difference...

As I posted earlier, Saturday at the end of our Alaskan cruise, they made those who were continuing on to Los Angeles, exit the ship in Vancouver to go through Customs. They were allowed to reboard the ship as soon as they went through Customs rather than waiting for the normal boarding time for the Vancouver to Los Angeles cruise.

Mark

My experience on B/Bs that are booked as one cruise they still treated as two cruises; at the end of the first leg your onboard account is closed out and the balance is transferred to a folio for the next leg. You are also issued a new cruise card with the 2nd leg's voyage number.

A little off topic, but I did a 14 day "round trip" Alaska cruise with Princess that was sold as one cruise. I could not split up the cruises unless I wanted to pay more- (NO). :) This cruise then gave me 1 set of repeater perks, and one use of my stock OBC. so in this aspect it was treated as one cruise.

Lots, of details everywhere. :)

If we have to disembark do I have to take all my luggage with me? Just leaving the ship and coming back through customs isnt a problem for me but having to take all my possessions off the ship is.

No, not at all, you will have to take your passport with you as well as your new cruise card and that's it.

Archived