Children's Attire for Dinner

Barisaxylady

Going on a Carnival Cruise in November with my children, DD 6 and DS 4.5. What do they need to wear for dinner on non - formal nights? Can they get away with their daytime clothing? I know no bathing suits. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Technically the dress code is the same for children as adults.

When we travel with the grandchildren (ours are all boys), we plan on long pants (usually non cargo style khakis) for dinner and a nice polo shirt for cruise casual nights. No flip flops. We did give in and let the teen boys wear their dark tennis shoes with their khakis for dinner.

The youngest 2 end up wearing some stain from foods earlier in the day and we definitely packed a change of clothes for them for evening. The teens spent much of the day in swim trunks and a t, which were definitely inappropriate for dinner.

I have boys. When they were younger, I let them wear khaki shorts and solid color polos with sneakers. Shirts tucked in, with a belt. I think the previous comment about children in clean clothes is a good one. Also, I agree with no swim trunks or cargo pants. I would add no athletic wear. On Carnival, you will see kids in every type of attire.

I have boys. When they were younger, I let them wear khaki shorts and solid color polos with sneakers. Shirts tucked in, with a belt. I think the previous comment about children in clean clothes is a good one. Also, I agree with no swim trunks or cargo pants. I would add no athletic wear. On Carnival, you will see kids in every type of attire.

Sounds perfect. :) I'm sure they looked great.

My boys were little and it was the 80s and before they started allowing shorts in dining rooms. They wore khaki pants, boat shoes, a polo shirt and a blazer (you wouldn't need that anymore). On formal night they wore gray dress pants and blazers but wore a button down shirt and a tie. I picked up many of those items super cheap and they passed from one to the next to the next. They really enjoyed getting all dressed up for dinner and trying different foods. They'd seen there dad getting dressed up for special occasions so they "got it." It's interesting because they are young adults now, but every once in awhile I'll spot a facebook pic of them and they will be "all dressed up" for some event or another so they must still like that whole process of cleaning up. Don't under estimate your kids! Learning to dress appropriately, appropriate table manners and all that is a good life lesson that will stay with them through college and then into interviews, and work life. An added bonus is we have some great pictures of the three boys cleaned up and dressed up that the ship photographers captured to treasure for the rest of our lives. I'm one who slightly morns some of the elegance, but even on the most casual of ships the dining room is "special" and I love that about cruising.

Oh my son definitely likes to get dressed up too. He likes to put his handsome shirts. For the record, any shirt with a button down front is a handsome shirt in his eyes! I think I'm set for nice shorts and shirts for him. People are going to have to live with him wearing his good school sneakers to dinner. His feet will be under the table anyway! Thanks everyone! 1 month from today, can't wait!

The youngest two grandsons love getting dressed up. We are cruising with them in January.

I have ordered little tuxedos in all black with the white dress shirt for each of them. They'll both wear them to school and church Christmas programs and then wear them for the 1st elegant night on the cruise. I also ordered a colored vest and matching tie. They'll wear those for the second elegant night.

When our kids were growing up I tried my best to teach them to dress appropriately for many events. The funny thing is now my DIL thanks me for teaching my son how to dress and how to wear a suit and tie or a tux. At least 4-5 times a year, she calls or texts me to stay thanks. On the flip side ... she doesn't believe in "making her boys wear anything they aren't comfortable in." If i hadn't done my share of fussing through the early teen years she probably wouldn't have the nice dressing husband that she does. I just learn to bite my tongue and keep quiet.

The youngest two grandsons love getting dressed up. We are cruising with them in January.

I have ordered little tuxedos in all black with the white dress shirt for each of them. They'll both wear them to school and church Christmas programs and then wear them for the 1st elegant night on the cruise. I also ordered a colored vest and matching tie. They'll wear those for the second elegant night.

When our kids were growing up I tried my best to teach them to dress appropriately for many events. The funny thing is now my DIL thanks me for teaching my son how to dress and how to wear a suit and tie or a tux. At least 4-5 times a year, she calls or texts me to stay thanks. On the flip side ... she doesn't believe in "making her boys wear anything they aren't comfortable in." If i hadn't done my share of fussing through the early teen years she probably wouldn't have the nice dressing husband that she does. I just learn to bite my tongue and keep quiet.

I just have to say that is going to be adorable!

When my DS was really young (first cruise was when he was 3.5yo), I found little suits for him just after Easter really cheap. He loved wearing them for formal nights with his Veggie Tales ties! This one is when he was about 8 I think, and he'd outgrown the Veggie Tales ties (which I kept anyway).

aaronformal.jpg.0123cd27b0a8ccb328813465b7990a26.jpg

Trying to buy a bow tie for my son off of eBay. Seller speaks zero English. Their description gives the tie measurements and "rope length" what the heck is "rope length"?

I assume that the "rope length" is the length of the ribbon of fabric that goes around the color. Most that we have worked with have an adjustable loop "kinda" like what is on a bra strap. But there are varying sizes. If you order with a local company they'll usually say that boys now ties go from a-b length. Then youth sizes go from b-c length. Mens sizes go from c-d and plus sizes from d-e. I just used the letters in place of numbers because I was too lazy to go look them up, sorry.

• 2 years later...

Just received this tux from ebay for my 12 years old son... Just fix the pants and he will be perfect. My husband have the same tux and I have a red dress... it's for christmas cruise :D

yw0k.jpg

Just received this tux from ebay for my 12 years old son... Just fix the pants and he will be perfect. My husband have the same tux and I have a red dress... it's for christmas cruise :D

yw0k.jpg

Very nice.

We used to alway have our son in a tuxedo on our cruises and our daughter in a nice formal dress when they were young and cruised with us. To me part of cruising is making memories that will last for a lifetime and the photos are part of those memories. Our children are now quite a bit older but they remember all of this and again when we all get together we look at photos from those cruises.

Keith

This will be our cruise #10 with Carnival. So I know the tuxedo is not necessary, but there are still some people who wear it. In addition, we did 2 cruises during the new year and I noticed that people were even more elegant. So it will be for Christmas for the next one... It's not bother me, we like that.

This will be our cruise #10 with Carnival. So I know the tuxedo is not necessary, but there are still some people who wear it. In addition, we did 2 cruises during the new year and I noticed that people were even more elegant. So it will be for Christmas for the next one... It's not bother me, we like that.

I don't always get dressed up on cruises, but I always appreciate seeing the people who do. Seeing your family would make me smile and, if you want - like- to do it, go ahead. You will stand out in a very good way.

Going on a Carnival Cruise in November with my children, DD 6 and DS 4.5. What do they need to wear for dinner on non - formal nights? Can they get away with their daytime clothing? I know no bathing suits. Thanks everyone!

Oh, you have already sailed! On our first cruise my DD was 5 and she wore a nice dress, similar to what you would wear to a recital or Christmas. Easy to find on sale at any department store or to borrow from a friend.