Sold-out Cruise? Last-minute rates?

sonnylax

I'm trying to book a Carnival cruise to the Caribbean out of Miami at the end of this month. I waited too long, because the cruise is now sold-out per Carnival.com and various travel agents!

Has anyone had any luck booking a cruise at the last second? Do cruises ever "re-appear" as travel plans change for other passengers or travel agencies with excess capacity (unsold cruises)? Do cruise lines or travel agents ever offer any last minute deals for unsold cruises?

I believe that you have to book at least 72 hours before departure so that you can be checked out by security. This has happened since 9-11.

There may be some people cancelling before then. Good luck!

Unless people experience a last minute huge problem/emergency, people don't cancel their cruises at the last minute because of cancelation penalties (worse if they don't have insurance). You need to be booked at least 72 hours before the cruise because passenger manifests need to be submitted to Homeland Security. The days of waiting for last minute deals seem to be over, and prices are actually rising the closer you get to the sailing date. On a cruise we recently took on Celebrity, most prices rose an average of $800 as the cruise date approached. It's become cheaper to book early, rather than late.

We just booked a 4day out of Port Canaveral for the last week of this month. I truly thought last minute deals would be great! Believe me, THEY ARE NOT! There were only 2 staterooms left and the prices were horrible. Thank goodness this short cruise is a gift.....it's more for 4 days than we paid for our 5 day our of NO last month.

So, maybe last minute deals can be found when the ship is not so booked, but for summer travel it's impossible to find one!

I'll book my next cruise real EARLY next time for the best deal!

Put yourself on a wait list. We've booked lots of cruises last minute. You just never know when a family emergency will develop and someone cancels. Summer is a popular time for cruises. However, if you don't care which ship you cruise on, then call the different cruiselines and ask what they have available for the ports you want to depart from.

About 17 months ago the forecast for our week's vacation in the desert was rain for five days. I called Carnival on Saturday and we sailed from LA on Monday. We got a great 4 day cruise for $199 per person (inside) that took us south of the storm. We had sun every day. No complaints. We've done that alot during our vacations when the forecast turns rainy. I'd rather be on a ship with lots of activities if there is bad weather because there is always hope of finding some sunshine at sea. Even if the sun doesn't come out, at least there are lots of things to do. Good Luck. You have nothing to lose by calling the cruiselines.

Don't go by the websites. Call Carnival directly 1800Carnival. I know my last minute cruises have often said sold out on the web, and I was able to book on the phone directly with the cruiseline.

i spoke with a pvp at carnival yesterday. I asked him about last minute deals and he said he could book up to 24 hrs before sailing and asked me if i wanted to be put on a "waiting" list. I thought there was a 72 hr time limit also, but maybe that is only for people coming into the U.S.? i am going to check and see if there are any openings for the cruise leaving out of galveston on the 4th of aug. on the 2nd or 3rd. If i get to go i will post here.

Archived